Studio Setup

Nutritious

A buddy and I are currently looking at some purchases to get a recording/demo studio set up for his business. Currently, we're trying to decide on a few key items, so I was gonna see if I could get some input here first:

1) New Desktop: either PC or Mac. It won't ever be on the internet, so viruses etc won't be a concern. Trying to get the most bang for our buck, power wise (something we won't need to upgrade too soon) and something as quiet as possible. I've been checking out sites like avadirect for pc's, but can't seem to get the same power, dollar wise, as some of the mac machines. I have 0 experience with macs personally, but we haven't ruled them out by any means.

2) DAW: Pro Tools or Logic. Mainly leaning towards Pro Tools here, but I know there are a lot of strong opinions here for either. Obviously, Logic won't be an option if we decide to go PC. Is anyone very familiar with the different packages of Pro Tools? We're looking at the 003 series, but trying to get useful info from digidesign.com is like pulling teeth. Something to note: I'm the more technical/sequencer oriented person while he's the one with experience in studios and professional production/performance - so something he can pick up easily would be ideal.

3) Keyboard: fully weighted and 88-key board. We've checked out some keyboards at the music store already, but no decisions yet. We're wanting something that will work well in a studio setting with a decent set of sounds and options.

I'm just hoping to get a few opinions as all the options are a bit overwhelming. Thanks.

When it comes to choosing the operating system, it really comes down to which OS you know best, and which OS your friends know best. I favor macs because my family uses them, and I know an expert who taught me every OS trick in the book. Mac software is very good if you know how to use it properly. In your case, in terms of hardware, you might not want to go with Mac. Most mac models (except the Mac Pros) have no way to upgrade anything but the RAM and maybe the hard drive.

You may want to go for a PC considering how flexible it is with hardware, especially with soundcards depending on what you're doing. Aside from the flexiblity with hardware, you'll also have the option to choosing your OS, being either windows or the countless flavors of linux distros...

In the end though select which OS you're familiar with and go from there...