OCR00849 - Castlevania II "No Flesh Allowed"

Disco Dan

Castlevania II 'No Flesh Allowed'

Lemme break this down for you:

a a' b a

That being said,

a) main theme done heavily in 6/8 time

a') main theme done heavily in 4/4 time

b)solo section (because there has to be a solo section (though slightly out of tune)

a) see above

Relatively simple, short, repetitive piece. Not my style, though the guitar work is done very well. It's almost a shame because some of the bass and drum work drowns out what would otherwise be some technically exquisite guitar work. Check it out. Might be your cup of meat.

DC

I was just gonna post this review, but Disco Dan beat me to it by one minute. Oh well. :)

I like this. It does sound like Castlevania meets Lords of Thunder with a little bit of muffled Yngwie Malmsteen "Far Beyond the Sun" thrown in. I think it's done pretty well. The original tune lends itself to being redone in this style. If you like guitar, then you should have already downloaded this!

metallica? not bloody likely. i'm very strongly reminded of iron maiden, however. especially the intro, which SORT OF reminds me of where eagles dare.

this thing is as close as it gets to maiden covering a CV song.

ironically, right after i hear this song it goes to another one on my playlist - IM's transylvania.

[edited to make more sense]

Cool! An argument over whether it sounds more like metallica or maiden! I was at an iron maiden concert a couple years ago (2000 or 2001) in which Bruce Dickinson went on a rant against MTV and the current crop of teeny bop music, and then they broke into awesome metal...with huge burning props and fog and lasers.....good stuff.....I was much more into metallica than iron maiden, but there are definately things in this song that metallica don't really like to do (arpeggio melodies), and the guitar tone is snarly instead of full crunch which is more old metallica/maiden. That solo was just a convulsive spaz, and I lucked out at the end to discover a note I was repeatedly hitting had a good harmonic squeal, so you can almost hear me think "aha!" as I hit it again hard and let it ring to end it :wink: I hope to improve my recording skills to address the comments about the bass and drums. Or I could just make the guitars louder...thanks for the comments

Well it's gonna sound like either Maiden or Metallica since they were partially influenced by Maiden.

Anyways, cool stuff. A neat interpretation of the mansion theme (I think that song is full of untapped possibilities). I did one, once, pretty much the same style although no real reinterpretation. But I like this, despite some claims to repetition.

Like you, I know how it can be hard to get guitars sounding right. Most people use electronic samples to make their songs, and of course that is gonna be easier.

Mmmm...I quite enjoyed this. It is quite Iron Maiden-esque...and yeah, I can see a slight resemblance to Yngwie's "Far Beyond the Sun"...of course, it doesn't have Yngwie's signature sweep-picked runs placed everywhere. There's a little similarity to Metallica, but it's not nearly as prominent as the Maiden-isms.

Of course, this sounds quite similar to just about anything I would do...so now I can't post the remix that I would eventually get around to doing, out of fear of it being passed off as a ripoff of this.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the things that really makes this remix, aside from the awesome guitar work and arrangement, is the fact that someone actually chose a song outside of the typical songs like vampire killer, bloody tears, and wicked child that we're used to hearing all the time. Not only are they popular at OCR, but they are done and redone by remixers in the Castlevania community, on the Dracula Battle and Dracula New Classic arrange albums, in the Minibosses' repertoire, as well as all the remixes that apear in each successive Castlevania game. It's nice to see someone choose a song outside the vampirekiller/bloodytears monopoly that's just as good and just as valid, and do it justic with a remix instead of giving us another remix of the same stuff.

w00t! This was pretty cool. As a guitarist, I love to hear awesome solos, and I especially love the Castlevania music for its playability. It's so easy to take a motive, or even an entire period from a castlevania song and write your own peice from it. Very awesome to the struggling musician. When I first heard this I felt it was just another run of the mill heavy mix. I enjoyed it, but didn't appreciate it until I tried to play it a few nights later. Very nice guitar work. I thought the bass was fine, just needed some fine tuning EQ wise. the drums were a little redundant, but there is charm in simplicity. I wish I could get my drummer to settle down and play something simple sometimes.

• 1 year later...

Castlevania music takes itself to guitars so amazingly well, for some reason. As for this particular song, I can see where goat gets his tradition of great remixes. This song was one of my faves in the original game, and I'm glad to hear someone do it justice. To my ear, there are some minor mixing issues, namely in the compression/limiting department causing some slight distortion in spots, but it's very minor, and not nearly enough to tarnish this song. Excellent work. I find I prefer his Castlevania stuff to the Minibosses.

• 4 months later...
I was just gonna post this review, but Disco Dan beat me to it by one minute. Oh well. :)

I like this. It does sound like Castlevania meets Lords of Thunder with a little bit of muffled Yngwie Malmsteen "Far Beyond the Sun" thrown in. I think it's done pretty well. The original tune lends itself to being redone in this style. If you like guitar, then you should have already downloaded this!

That's probably because the original version of this song was almost a remix of FBTS. The Metallica/Maiden-ish comments are close, but that's because Yngwie influenced those bands in style and subject material. One of the greatest guitarists of all time, I'm sure he'd have rubbed off on a few guys. :)

/me runs away after random comment

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This song sounds very cool but it's too loud. Why!? What are you a record exec? Jesus Christ. Why do people record music too loud? Are they assholes or completley inept? When you recorded this did you listen to it over? a duhh...

Uh ... this is a heavy metal remix. Heavy metal is not subtle. Heavy metal is not soft. Heavy metal is not background music. It's something you blast over your speakers. This is a heavy metal remix of a song taken from a game about a badass vampire killer. goat is a badass guitarist. It has every reason to be loud.

Does this really need to be explained? Are you an asshole or completely inept? When you wrote this did you read it over? a duhh...

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00849 - Castlevania II "No Flesh Allowed"