OCR00851 - Sonic CD (JP) "Stardust Beat"

m68030

Ah this tune has a nice early 90's feel to it. You know i like this style. Its jazzy, its happy, its shake your groove thang to some Sonic CD music.

I just love the synths used, especially the one at 0:56. Its so clear, and I like how you just pitch bend with it. I also like the synth bass. very deep.

I didn't like the sax synth however. I felt a real sax would have complimented the piano better, but it still works anyway. we're bound by limitations sometimes anyway. I also didnt like the beat transition at 0:56 where the beat went to 4/4. It's still great to listen and is a great addition, but the beat timing change throws a dancer off.

This is going to be another one on my playlist. It's what my friend would call "snazzy", which means jazzy, smooth, and soulful. Good stuff Gecko Yamori

love it. positively delightful. i actually laughed from the opening.. caught me by surprise, cause i was listening to some dark stuff (ffmusicdj, corelprisonmix) its reallllly interesting, but i have only one complaint. the ending... fades out with some crackling. i dunno, its alright, but id rather not have it =X however, the main part itself was what counts, and that stuff is alllll good =) gj and keep the good stuff coming. Highly Recommended ;)

Pretty much everything that's been said already is how I feel. I love that acid synth and that smooth, piercing synth that comes in around :56. Everything is done well; good drums, bass, balance. I do like the ending.

I feel ashamed that I don't recognize this tune...I've had the Sonic CD game in my CD players listening to it's sweet music a lot since I got it way back when, and I can't place this. :x

Awesome work though. keep it up.

the unbiased reviewer gives this selection a 9/10.

i am a huge sonic fan, but i have never played sonic CD. i didnt particularly like the intro but i loved the synth effects. when the remix really captures my attention was during the 55' second. after that, i was all ears. the song is mostly synths, there is some piano, drums and sax but nothing as far as my knowledge (which isnt much).

i have to say, i thought the song was on the short side, but then maybe a third repetition would have been too long. kudos to gecko yamori. i love the remixer's name too. sounds like a japanese amphibian.

I liked this ReMix. It captures the feeling of a futuristic "Good" city so well (To me, anyway) that I can't help but take a listen now and then. Keep in mind, the citylike part I refer to is about 55 seconds in--hey, two people in this thread have the same favorite part!

Compared to the AWESOME sax solo in Mustin's Atomizer, the synth sax sucks. However, it does complement the rest of the ReMix, which does have an antiquated 70's feel to it. All in all, this one deserves to be recognized. Congrats, Gecko Yamori!

• 5 months later...

So I gotta tell you this story...

I wake up this morning and I take a shower as I always do. Well, my girlfriend decides she wants to surprise me with a nice little shower-for-two. So, she comes into the bathroom and, as usual, I have a a CD playing. She opens up the stall and there I am under the water just dancing my brains out. She stands there, her jaw open, and then she busts up laughing and says, "You're such a dork Tim."

And guess what the song was.

:D

I love this song. It's one of my favorites in the entire OC catalog.

(incidently, I've also been known to dance in the shower to Kono Sekai De)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, what can I say? It's hard to review a mix that's already had all the good stuff said. Mostly I'm just adding a post and giving props where props are squarely due. It's sad that fantastic mixes like this don't get the many page threads that certain RPG remixes do *cough* Chrono Trigger *cough*. But that's neither here nor there.

I always love your choice of instruments and synths, Gecko. The kind of muffled, distorted piano sounds great. I love the original and you do it great justice, while adding much wonderful arrangement of your own. Being that I don't know remixing terms for shit, I'll stop here with "Keep it up up UP!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I would have really loved this remix except there aren't any scratch sounds like there are in the original.

Nah, that's not a dealbreaker for me. I'm actually glad it didn't have those, if at least to differentiate it from the source material, since the two songs are structured so similarly. Rather conservative (per the usual), but personalized well-enough. The mix does a good job upping the energy level compared to the original.

• 2 months later...

You can mildly say that this remix caught my attention in the beginning, I thought at first that this was going to become some sort of weird karaoke session, but luckily that wasn't the case.

The samples are different this time, that saxophone isn't exactly high quality and the piano that jams from time to time sounds a little rough. However, although that thought pops up into my mind, it really doesn't bother me that much. If one sample sounds bad but the rest sounds good, then it bothers me. But in this case, almost every sample was happy, trippy and rough so that it created an overall theme to this remix, if there would be a real saxophone playing there it would only ruin it.

After listening to this for a couple of times, I can understand why AD was dancing in the shower, this really is fun stuff. :D

Well recommended.

• 6 months later...

The opening "ew yeah" is REALLY annoying, which is a shame because other than that, this is an OK mix. But don't feel bad, cuz that was this piece's original flaw anyway. Even in the original, I thought the singing was being done by some retard.

The other iffy part is on the differing from the original. The samples are different, but all in all, isn't this just basically a recreation of the original piece using different samples? Just me.

OK mix though, if you can ignore the opening...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

to be honest I wasn't super impressed with this one. Sonic CD has probably my favorite VGM themes of all times, and this is one of my favorites from the game. I guess maybe my hopes were set a little too high. It's a good song but not as good as such a killer track deserves. It's just a little too happy for my tastes.

• 2 years later...

I really like the bass in this, especially after 0:55. And I also really like 0:55 to 1:28 it has an almost sad quality I'm not sure if "sad" is the right word but it definitely has a lot of emotion in it. Also that piano(?) (can't tell, but it certainly sounds like a piano) that keeps playing the one chord over and over really gives the song a cool retro vibe. Both this and Gecko Yamori's other SDSW remix would make great music for driving at night.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00851 - Sonic CD (JP) "Stardust Beat"