Megaman 2 - Flashman (Pendulum inspired)

zircon

Been awhile since I've posted anything... I was messing around last night after listening to copious amounts of Pendulum (including their latest single "Granite") and I came up with this basic downtempo beat. Today, I managed to create a nice bass, distorted bass, and ultimately ended up with a little clip that was definitely a big nod to Pendulum's style - from the synths to the drums. As I tried out some chords on top I ended up with a familiar progression.

Here's what I came up with, after further tweaking (and excessive mixing/mastering.)

www.soundtempest.net/n-FLASH.mp3

Not much yet, but enjoy! :)

you've got really good contrast between sections already (in rhythms, the tone of the synths, and harmonies) I sincerely hope you can keep these sorts of contrasts consistent throughout the piece because it'll hold our interest. For me, a heavily filtered and processed (FX-ilicious) drum section with a simple melody over top is a must. Awesome stuff zirc.

Zircon does mm2? This definitely caught my eye. :-D

So far, the second half of it doesn't sound all that interesting, especially when the synths just come in. Even though it sounds better than it would have if most people had attempted the same thing, it's nowhere near your best stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing the final version of this though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the excellence. My only comment is that around 1:20, when the synth takes the lead and the square gets quieter, the square hit almost gets too quiet. i had to strain to hear it, which was too bad because i loved what it was doing, so maybe just bump up the volume in that section so we can hear it better?

Pendulum, eh? I hear the Pendulum influence well with the snares and the claps, all right. Beginning is so "Slam", but I also want to hear more of that orchestra later on. Ever heard their Battle Royale remix of "Hold Your Colour"? Something like that.

This reminds me...are you gonna do an extended version of Depth Charge? I pretty much like the ambient parts of that song.

Ah! Definitly a good mix for the Flash is being born here!... I'm not gonna tell you my suggestions though, since First of all, You do this stuff a lot better that me, and second, I'm somewhat of a fan of most of your works haha... And this is not realy my Genre, if it is any that is... Style is definitly unique though, it really "pounds my speakers" :wink:

Looking forward to the result :-o

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ellywu; I dunno what you're monitoring on but the kick and snare are already pretty enormous on mine.. hard to get them any louder, considering I've already used sidechaining as well as multiband compression.

Derrit; Yeah, I might boost the square a bit, though the focus of that part is supposed to be the synth lead.

JustChris; haven't heard that remix in particular, though I know the original. I might bring back the orch later, we'll see. It's very RAM intensive generally speaking.

I haven't actually added anything more to this but I'd like to soon!