Killer Instinct Main Theme Remix

Inv1ctus

now the soundscape sounds very filled. Of course the EQ job is not perfect, but balancing 15+ tracks is tough to do. Big step up man. That bass is fucking sexy now, especially when I boost it lol. I know this isn't exactly a DnB song, but hey it still works :D. Can't wait to hear your next wip.

And sorry about all the shit you had to see on your thread David, but I had to bitch about it lol.

Sounds pretty good to me. Good energy, drives forward. Lots of attention to detail, especially the continuously changing percussion. Lot of it to me sounds like not-the-greatest-samples or whatever but the end result is pretty good. I like the synth textures, especially the intro bit. Hmm. Intrestingly despite all the detail this piece sounds pretty static to me.. but in any case, I've listened to it half a dozen times quite happily, so there might not be anything wrong with that. I'm not head over heels, but I do enjoy listening to this.

--Eino

I really like the intro. I think the snare sound needs to be more prominent. I like it though.

can you give me / tell me what that anvil sound is in the beginning. I really need something like that. Thanks.

glad to be of assistance!

i use reason 4.0 so these samples are from "refills" which are libraries available to reason users. (you basically have to get them separately since the libraries that come with reason are slim).

3 japanese taiko drum samples give it that bassy feel, which are from the dorumalia superdrums 8000 refill

2 deep bass drums from the drumomania refill

and the same bell sample at different pitches from the drumm demo refill (demo1)

so i dont know if that helps but basically to make the sound effects i layered all of those sounds. The bell gives the taiko drums the sharp impact that makes it sound like an anvil.

Granted its not perfect, but it works. Hope that helps!

You could also search online free libraries out there, i know there are a few forums here even that have links to them.

this is good but it feels a lot milder and tamer than the last wips, it needs more driving energy IMO, I think harder velocities is probably the cure for that :D/ and or a slight volume increase. The balancing is pretty good I'm pretty sure, and the bass is as sweet as ever. That lead synth is purty sexy too, nice writing on your part David :D, I think you could go a little more crazy with it though :P, i.e. Zircon-style, but not AS crazy just yeah u know.

Whoa, the bass does chord changes! Yes, that livens it up a lot. Maybe it also loses some of the "intensity" that comes with keeping the bass at one chord. (I personally like the effect a lot.) So you might want to consider doing that somewhere in the more melodic parts. Doing it in one spot might be very cool.

I think you've also reduced the amount of sounds going on. I kinda liked it that busy. With the bass moving around more and less audioshrapnel flying through the air it does sound less energified than the previous one. On the other hand, I think the audio quality in general has improved a step - don't know if you actually did any mixing/mastering changes apart from the bass and removing stuff.

Overall I think this was very much an improvement. Great going!

--Eino

I think you've also reduced the amount of sounds going on. I kinda liked it that busy. With the bass moving around more and less audioshrapnel flying through the air it does sound less energified than the previous one. On the other hand, I think the audio quality in general has improved a step - don't know if you actually did any mixing/mastering changes apart from the bass and removing stuff.

Well i would say the only part of the song i really carved out a lot of sound was from 0:54 to 1:08. I think the really big difference is the fact that i lowered the volume a little. Basically since i have a master compressor, the volume never goes over the peak. When it was at max volume though, sound were competing a lot more and you could feel them pushing for center stage a lot more. Now i feel it is in a spot where it isn't so competitive while still being at full volume. This seems to be a trade off i guess. Although it seems mastered better, it doesn't have that gritty compounded in your face massive sound that came from overcompression if you will.

Another issue i realized was that in reason i like to use the "scream" instrument effect a little too much. Basically it distorts sound, which can make it sound really cool. I need to lay off it a bit, which i did with the sound samples, especially the percussion ones.

Its a matter of taste, and i guess i am swimming upstream with a background in heavy metal music. I'm trying to make a techno-ish breakbeatish thing and morphing it into this weird metalastrophe ;p

All in all i like where it stands right now. The trade offs seem to balance the piece out and it seems more rounded. The main synth (which was on a scream in 2.4) is a lot smoother and actually hearkens back to the "killer cuts" guitar solo sound that was on that track. I'm not saying they are alike, but after listening and giving more thought to the original, i am glad that i chose to make it seem more smooth.

The bass is less intense because it is really not going back and forth on those octave notes so much as it was before. However, im sorry i don't think i could possibly let this piece go back to that other sound. In retrospect, this new bass track is a lot more involving i would say. Lets face it. The other bass part was boring.

Furthermore, i am interested in whether or not people see any major flaws in this piece. Tell me where you think it is. Calling all snapplemen! if you wanna rip me a new one and tell me its lame, cuss me out, or otherwise slather the forum with your utter hatred at the audio frankenstein i have created, please feel free to do so, so that i may build it better.

That way when he eats you, it will be more efficient.

I have updated 2.5 with some things, but i figure i will wait to release it when i receive more criticism, since they are noticeable but small things.

BTW a big thank you to everyone that has commented on this forum.

I like the stutter effects which can be found throughout the mix.

The anvil sounds too low-end-ish; needs a more 'metallic' sound if you know what I mean.

The synth coming in at 1:40 is a little too loud IMO.

Also, the last minute needs either more variation (sounds very similar to what you get to hear earlier in the mix) and/or some sort of climax; as it, it's just there and doesn't really do anything.

Also also, do something about the ending. Give the instruments, especially the anvil/general hammering a little more time to fade out.

All in all, this is quite enjoyable, but not there yet.