Final Fantasy VII - Mako Reactor (Trip Hop MIX)

Beoulve

Ok, so I've put the orchestrated version of the Mako Reactor theme on hold for the time being. I've been wanting to make a muddy trip hop version of the theme for quite some time now, so I decided to give it a try.

First of all I'm having a hard time grasping mastering, but I'm working on it. I've only had reason for two weeks, so I'm obiously still a complete n00b.

Second of all, please don't pay too much attention to the last minute of the track.

The track sounds very repetetive at the moment, one of the reasons: I'm currently writing lyrics for this track, at this point they are kinda cheesy, but whatever. I will be singing them myself(yikes!), but my recording equipment is limited to a pair of Singstar microphones, lol. Still, this track needs lyrics...

This track is early in development, but I need some feedback. So, all comments are highly appreciated!

You can find the track on my soundclick page titled MAKO TRIP:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=340570

EDIT:

I have a update now, you can find the track on the soundclick page titled Mako Trip NEW.

Or you can get it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1ebxxmms15m

Update:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4nbz561uxwk

This is fucking awesome. I really love this. I can't say enough good about it.

I think it'd be really sweet with some trip-hop style rap in it.

Listen to Supreme Team by DJ Krush (feat. Antipop Consortium). Tripped out lyrical content delivered smoothly and with a peculiar rhythm.

wow, thanks! It still needs a lot of work, but I really appreciate the encouragement. I will be sure to check out the song you mentioned.

I like the reverse snare effect, that's awesome. the synths are pretty sweet, especially the bassy one. Pretty solid work here :)

I'm surprised you're not a posted remixer already by hearing this lol...this woulda been accepted years ago easilly, even nowadays a good chance

LOL, well, I did try to get a remix posted a year ago, but at that time I used my Playstation and Music2000/MTV Music Generator for my music creation. So, the samples were pretty crap, the arrangement was weak(and very true to the source) and it was all drenched up in too mutch reverb, so it got 3 x NO, he he.

It was a pretty rough slap on my face, but it has inspired me to get better, so today I'm just glad that they totally butchered it.

I've actually only used my Playstation and Playstation 2 for music creation up until recently. I got myself a copy of Reason a couple of weeks ago and it has far more power than my playstation programs.

wow not bad for just starting out in reason! sounds pretty good imo. i might suggest maybe putting a reverb on some of the synths or percussion to help kinda smooth out some of the blending effects youve got goin on, but just a little you dont need much. Will be interesting to hear lyrics for this, do you know what ure gonna put to it? anyhow good work, ive been using reason for years and i wasnt that good when i started :)

There's no females vocals in this, and it's not reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly sloooooooooooooow. NOT TRIP HOP!!!

Intro is good. The pads/chord you used is awesome and you should bring them more out! MORE I SAY!!!.

As for the synth, in the beginning it worked as like, a lo-fi radio thing, but through-out the song it gets annoying. It could be a personal thing, but if you changed the sound to something a bit more smoother, perhaps spacier. Or, keep it, but make it sound like it's off in the distance (at the little break down at 2:33). It'll give it more ambiance too.

As the song progresses, it tends to repeat the same thing in a different voice. From around 1:20 to 2:33, there's no real lead (besides the subtle strings). I can totally add something there in the form of psychedelic delayed programmed guitar. It'll sound cool, you can ask Overcoat =) .

So after the little break down, it goes back in at 2:58. I say the break down could have been a little more emphasized, even if it's one bar before going back into the main part. Then when it goes back to around 3:50, it again, feels like it's repeating itself (and it very very well could be). Plus the part from 3:24-3:50 is really empty. It either needs something playing there, or you can simply do without it, a remix doesn't HAVE to be over 6 minute (although again, personal suggestion). As the song continues to 4:40, there's little to nothing in terms of development.

You do change things up a little bit towards the end, which is nice. But from 0:12-5:07, you really have maybe 3 minutes of ideas down? Perhaps even less. Plus this lacks an ending (although again, easily fixable).

So to re-cap, awesome intro. Great ideas (although I will comment nothing in terms of arrangement), mastered decently, you just need to toss out the vanilla parts of the mix, and spicy up the little bits.

wow not bad for just starting out in reason! sounds pretty good imo. i might suggest maybe putting a reverb on some of the synths or percussion to help kinda smooth out some of the blending effects youve got goin on, but just a little you dont need much. Will be interesting to hear lyrics for this, do you know what ure gonna put to it? anyhow good work, ive been using reason for years and i wasnt that good when i started :)

Thank you very much! I'm not unfamiliar with music creating though, as I have been dabbling around in various music games/programs for playstation for several years. But, it takes a lot of effort to get used to completely new software and learning its possibilities.

I took your advice and added a little reverb on some of the synths and percussion.

About the lyrics, I might drop the whole thing, I'm still thinking about it...

There's no females vocals in this, and it's not reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly sloooooooooooooow. NOT TRIP HOP!!!

=P

Intro is good. The pads/chord you used is awesome and you should bring them more out! MORE I SAY!!!.

As for the synth, in the beginning it worked as like, a lo-fi radio thing, but through-out the song it gets annoying. It could be a personal thing, but if you changed the sound to something a bit more smoother, perhaps spacier. Or, keep it, but make it sound like it's off in the distance (at the little break down at 2:33). It'll give it more ambiance too.

Thanks. I've done some alterations, let me know what you think.

As the song progresses, it tends to repeat the same thing in a different voice. From around 1:20 to 2:33, there's no real lead (besides the subtle strings). I can totally add something there in the form of psychedelic delayed programmed guitar. It'll sound cool, you can ask Overcoat =) .

That would be really cool! Thanks! =D

So after the little break down, it goes back in at 2:58. I say the break down could have been a little more emphasized, even if it's one bar before going back into the main part. Then when it goes back to around 3:50, it again, feels like it's repeating itself (and it very very well could be). Plus the part from 3:24-3:50 is really empty. It either needs something playing there, or you can simply do without it, a remix doesn't HAVE to be over 6 minute (although again, personal suggestion). As the song continues to 4:40, there's little to nothing in terms of development.

You do change things up a little bit towards the end, which is nice. But from 0:12-5:07, you really have maybe 3 minutes of ideas down? Perhaps even less. Plus this lacks an ending (although again, easily fixable).

So to re-cap, awesome intro. Great ideas (although I will comment nothing in terms of arrangement), mastered decently, you just need to toss out the vanilla parts of the mix, and spicy up the little bits.

I chopped of some of the parts and added a little variation. Let me know what you thing. The last part of the song is still heavily under construction though.

Thank you very much for the indepth review and all the great tips and feedback. I really appreciate it! =)

i think this is awesome! the eq is very good.

i might integrate more treble percussion, like a hi hat or something. It seems a bit repetetive tho. Needs something to spice it up, like some scratching or something. I really like the breakdown at 3:40 tho

Yeah, I totally agree about the percussion, and some variation to the beat. I'll work on that. Thanks!

Much better, but I agree with Skry try to find a new instrument to replace that first one later on, it does get a tad annoying =/

Ok, I will replace it! lol

Over all composition: piano, strings, beat, choir etc are yummeh. Keep the good work flowing man and you'll get posted.

• 1 month later...