OCR00850 - Super Metroid "Maridia (Drowned in Exile)"

Ginnsu

Super Metroid 'Maridia (Drowned in Exile)'

If you have an appreciation for deep and moody ambiance, this is where its at. The only sound that doesn't appeal to me in this one is the lead melody which plays through most of the song. It sounds off key and lacks the ability to convey what I would call, audio pleasure. It's also a little sharp. Take away that, however, and in my opinion you have one hell of an interesting piece of ambiance. Not for everyone, but try it out just too see. Great work, Children of the Monkey Machine.

The trials and tribulations of Samus Aran never really cease to amaze me. She crawls through the bowels of these planets, alone, never knowing what's coming around the next corner, in environments that would kill her quickly without her suit (and manages to do so slowly with it). It's like crawling in a tight cave that you may or may not be able to escape from. It's this sense of isolation and desolation that is especially present in the watery portion of Super Metroid. This mix draws on this, and draws well: this isn't a pretty place. This isn't an uplifting place. This is a remix that has taken its source material and refined it into what it should very well have been in the first place. The ominousness of the first leg of the song is eventually reward by the second part, as we find that there actually was something around the corner. What are you waiting for? Go download.

Heh, that lead reminded me of ghosts n goblins for some reason.

Anyways, this is interesting music. Definitely not something I would play in my headphones at night on a stroll through the cemetery. It has a sort of gothic ambience feel, which I like. But I'm also a fan of up front in your face melody at times. So if this were behind some dialog in a video game or movie, I could definitely see it.

Interesting mix. Abstract, but interesting.

This is amazing.

This captures that sad, frightening kind of feeling that the Maridia music always gave me. I always loved this theme far more then the music that played through the majority of Maridia...I felt it conveyed more emotion and such. The desolation and isolation...this captures it all so beautifully and in such an eerie way. It's just fantastic. Truly amazing.

My only qualm with this would be near the end, around 4:26, when it suddenly and unexpectedly picks up with the drums. It seems somewhat out of place...maybe if the transition was a bit smoother? That's nitpicking though.

This is so hauntingly beautiful, a perfect and creative interpretation of the Marida music. It gives me goosebumps. That's so sad, but it's true. ^_^o

Niiiiiiiiiice stuff! even at 5:40, the track did not get boring for me at all! and ya, it really did put me into the feel of being in the environment that Samus would've had to deal with......certain parts were kinda eerie i'll tell ya that! I thought the choices of what tools to use for this remix was dead on! So overall, i'm giving this mix the big thumbs up, soldier!

I'm a fan of almost all kind of music styles, but this one gives me the creeps. Don't get me wrong. This song fits the oppressed feeling that the game shows very well. I haven't played "Super Metroid" that long but even if you're not playing the game, it gives you the scary feeling of loneliness, trapped on an alien-filled planet who hunt you down to kill you.

CotMM knows his business. This is a really good mix of ambient and industrial. I wish old games had soundtracks like this before.

• 2 weeks later...

While this isn't typically my normal listening cup-of-tea, so to speak, this particular Monkey Machine remix is the l337 r0x0r. It starts off really eerie and gloomy and later when the distorted rhythmic section comes in, it just takes on a whole new emotion. Totally incredible remix. Download it now or forever wallow in shame from not having done so.

• 1 month later...

Hhhmmm. Lol absynth presets. Well let's see dnb junkie and ghostpad to name at least two. Well overall it wasn't too bad. Metroid was one of the few games I actually got to lay eyes on (but never the chance to play) as a child. Well for the most part it was somewhat repetive and plain. I really enjoyed the transitions though they flowed perfectly. That perc and new lead that came in the second part were great. I just wish you had done more with it. The little bass carpetwork here was somewhat annoying in some areas and needed to be turned down. Hmm well i think I should sum up my entire opinion now. Well it was definetly sinister. but for the most aprt not completely entertaining and more "background music" do to the rampant repetition and untimeliness of certain transitions which did by the way flow flawlessly. I give it a 6.4

• 1 year later...

Woah! Myst meets a guy with a knife! Well, sort of. Personally, I think it's somwhat repetitive, but it works pretty well. The bass part should be made more apparant near the middle. I almost didn't notice it the first time through, and it's a sweet line. I like the ending. A good way to finish it off. This is definitely not a head-banger :lol: , but it does have a somewhat solid melody throught the entire piece. It fits the mood of metroid, and I can't think of any real flaws that stand out. It's just new.

• 5 months later...

CotMM's Maridia reminds me very much of a soundtrack I bought recently. It is on a movie released a couple of years back, but I haven't seen it yet, so I cannot say how good the film is in itself. But I digress, if you liked this mix, you'll probably also like the soundtrack "REQUIEM FOR A DREAM".

To the remixer: good job. I really enjoyed the feeling of it all. Truly ambient. Check out the soundtrack. Though a bit repetitive at times, it is very good at what it does. Who knows? Maybe it might inspire future remixes...

• 10 months later...

There is nothing "ripped" in this track. I've never

even played Ultima 8, let alone heard any music from it.

While the prior observation was made there are some

presets from the Absynth softsynth used (Hey, if they

work, why not use them?) there's certainly nothing

underhanded about that. Though I do question if I

used 'dnb junkie' I don't seem to recall that one.

Regardless, I appreciate you enjoyed it, but

'ripped' is a rather strong verb with the wrong

connotations to describe any similarities there may

be with one of my lead lines and another existing work.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i really like this song as it does so many things right: the tonality is just off'beat' enough, the sounds/ instruments work well even though they are quite basic and the harsh part at the end comes in but does not take longer than it should. Actually, some 20 secs of development might have been in there, but really it is already very fine as it is and more noise might have forced a change of atmosphere. As it is, the piece is very fine!

• 4 months later...

Probably one of the most fully-formed CotMM mixes i've heard.

He has a great sense of adventure and experimenting on various mixes, but most I don't feel have quite the focus that this one does.

Strangely enough (especially to me), my favorite part is the beginning third, where it is mostly just atmosphere and then the subtle chord progression. The song gradually builds, developing at it's own pace,and when it finally kicks into high gear, it's really nice. I think some of the production on the end part was a bit too lofi, with mushy percussion, but the strengths of the track far outweigh the weaknesses.

This is an excellently structured song, with a clear purpose at all times, and pretty strong execution.

Recommended. :-)

• 7 months later...

People describe this mix as "creepy" and "disturbing", yet I can't feel any of that. It's haunting, yet in a beautiful way. It reminds me of "magnificent desolation", which was a phrase used to describe the surface of the Moon; actually, this piece is very atmospheric and does remind me of an otherworldly cosmic setting. Most excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say that this is probably one of my favorite OCR songs, and I'd like to thank CotMM for making it. The perfect mix of a dark and mysterious atmosphere in the beginning, with a nice beat to drive it along towards the end.

I absolutely love this sort of 'active ambiance', or whatever you might call this.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Don't know the source, but that opening soundscape definitely brings places to mind. Cold, damp, dark, and alone indeed. The lead melody is just beautifully dark. The chime (?) is nice and subby, adding a fat layer of atmosphere. Pads at 2:55 are really nice and the synth growls are excellently designed. Seriously haunting. Great mix.

• 4 weeks later...

Very creepy and atmospheric. Almost like Akira Yamaoka meets Super Metroid. The way the synths pan back and forth from one ear to the other, and how everything slowly gets louder and louder adds to how to make ambient music sound so intense. 2:52 will always be my favorite part, as it just exemplifies how to create an ominous mood in music.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00850 - Super Metroid "Maridia (Drowned in Exile)"