Streets Of Rage 1 - Round 4 (Nu Disco Remix)

Iceferno

(Previous subject title "Iceferno - NightTime Causeway (Streets Of Rage 1)"

Hello! You may remember me as "Meganium_2097" when I tried uploading a remix of SOR1 - Round 7 a few years back. Well, I've gotten better software since then so the quality has improved. I've remastered the Round 7 remix since then.

Anyway, Here's a remix of Streets Of Rage 1's "Keep The Groovin' (round 4)" I made a few months ago. It's a kinda semi-Club Mix because it has a slight intro and outro for the song. Anyways, this is the finished version. I'll edit it if needbe...

http://download.yousendit.com/653C10A8662C84E4

A new SOR wip! Alright! Let's see what this one is all about.

Alright, looks like this one has potential,but will probably need quite a bit of work to make it an OCR level remix. It's sparse at times, occasionally repetitive. You could definitely sacrifice some length and redundant material. I think your levels need some fixing too, some instruments are too low, others too loud. Your drums need to be spiced up a little, with more fills and variety. The part at 3:13 has a lot of bad notes. 3:20 sounds much better. 3:40, I like what you did with the source here. Clubby outro is not necessary - you will actually catch some fire for it from the judges.

Hopefully more people will chime in and give you more feedback. I would like to see how this wip improves over time.

Good luck!

Hey you're the guy that left VGMix!!!

hehe. ^_~

*listens*

Hmm... not too bad. You could use more synths. That same lead synth for the mid level sounds and the main lead is a bit of a hassle on the ears. Your bassline and drums sound pretty good. The piano is a breath of fresh air, but often feels an octave to high.

So yeah, more different synths please, and you'll have a good mix. PLUS I worry that it's a little too long, as it doesn't really do much different throughout it's 5 and half minute duration.

Good direction and shows promise. I'll keep my eye on it.

I like the beat :D, can you send me a midi of it so I can see how you did it...the bass and percussion are done real well dude.

This feels like an OCR song that got posted 2 years ago (meaning thats pretty effing good), dunno if its acceptable nowadays, but damn yo this is good. Just needs some more variation methinks, EQ job seems pretty dang good, maybe make the bass a hint louder. I'm grooving to this song ><

hehe this song reminds me of dj sash and that brings back some good memories.

Anyhow, im not sure if there were any key changes, but there were definitely some flat or sharp notes regardless. I pretty much agree with everyone elses input, percussion and bass could come up a bit. Generally they will be the predominant elements of a dance song, so they need to shine. Good work tho! i liked it a lot.

I really like that piano riff. It's hot stuff. I think your bass synth is too wet though, as the verb (or what sounds like verb) muds things up. But your higher end plucks are great. But that piano solo is niiice. I'd work on a little more drum variation. Try to be a tiny bit more liberal with the style you're using.

Really digging the idea of the increasingly aggressive synth solo before the key change.

Really digging the idea of the increasingly aggressive synth solo before the key change.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for. One of the early posts in this thread said about the 5:33 version that the sounds were bad at 3:13, but that was when the 'agressive' transition comes into play.

That is what you're referring to, right? :P

This is a nice start. I don't know the source, so I can't comment a lot on the arrangement.

The part before the key change sounds a lot better now! It may still have a couple of problems with key, I'm not sure...

The main problem with this song at the moment is mastering.

The bass is too wet and wimpy. It needs more velocity, and maybe it would be a good idea to shorten down some of the notes. I like the arrangement of the bass.

The percussion needs to come out more, especially for this genre(house/dance).

Also I would suggest using two different kickbasses. You could use the same sample, only turning one of them half an octave or more higher than the other. This gives the kickbass bass and punch. Just a suggestion. The percussion arrangement is nice, but could use more variation.

The synths are really hard and loud compared to the bass and percussion. Replacing some of the hard synths with softer ones or with synths with a slightly different feel would probably make the song more dynamic as well. Also you should try to pan some of your instruments, synths and percussion to different parts so that they don't mesh all together.

The piano is very nice.

Work with the mastering and you will do your song a big favour!

Ok. Quick notes. Improvements are good. There is too much reverb here and there. Around 1:13 the bass synth could be better, and also all the way up to the point where the piano comes in, the mix is too bare, you need more going on. Can be anything, a percussive pattern, a synth pattern, doesn't matter. You just need to beef it up. And that piano that comes in is a little loud. You did not fix the bad notes at around 2:37, I know you are going for some variation but you are mostly hitting all wrong notes there. Maybe it is your stylistic preference, but you will be hard pressed to find people who like cacophony. Also, there is no outro.

Now, I am not dogging on your mix. I like what you have going and want to see it develop and reach its full potential. Before you submit it I would suggest running it by a judge, but I am pretty sure that their comments will be similar to mine at this point, so trying to get feedback from them would be redundant. Keep working on it and you will get there.

Just out of curiosity, what software do you use?

Also, there is no outro.

WTF? I was told to get rid of the outro. And that's what I did! Man, maybe I should just give up?

Why do remixes on this site have to be so perfect anyway? They're not official. No label is gonna want to sign them. Ofcourse, there is always the off-chance that a remix might get signed (eg: Technikal's "Anxious Heart") but this is hardly ever the case. Perhaps if you were paying for these remixes, then they'd have to have perfect mastering. But they're free. Producers often release free stuff but don't really mind if it's not quite as finely-tuned as they'd like. It's just a bit of fun.

Perhaps I should've waited longer before submitting anything at all? I've made this mistake once before when I submitted Music 2000 material to VGMix back in 2004. I'd like to be able to be acknowledged for some vg remixes, but I guess that day hasn't come yet...

No need to get discouraged or upset. I am just telling you how it is. I could go on a tirade about the standards on this site, but that has been done before a million times.

The thing is, you are not too far from producing a quality track. So don't give up and keep at it. Why settle for mediocrity, when you can make something truly good?