what music library/playback program do you use?

prophetik music

I still use Winamp. I'm just really sticking with it ever since version 2.x. I tried Foobar for a little while, but didn't like it because it was a bit too minimalistic and didn't really want to both looking into plug-ins just to make it look pretty when minimized. Winamp 5 isn't too bloated if you keep most of the default settings.

I have old habits like using WMP for playing CDs and such. Maybe it's just me but I always have this suspicion that Winamp is going to overwrite my current playlist if I associate it with CDs.

Hmm, nope, don't know what you're talking about.

It shows all files for me.

This is a known bug and limitation with Windows as opposed to Winamp; there's a limit to how many extensions can be filtered for in the file open dialog, and when Winamp is associated with more extensions than that limit, it stops showing them and you have to pick just one.

AFAIK, the only way to work around this would be for Winamp developers to design their own file open dialog rather than using the native OS dialog, which imo they really should have done by now, given Winamp's popularity with input plugin developers and hence likeliness of being associated with numerous file types.

FYI, I use Winamp, and just upgraded to 5.5 on my main machine for testing with Chipamp. It's a little slow to launch, even with the Agent, but my biggest beef by bar is its closed source status and affiliation with AOL...

I used winamp for many a year, but recently switched to XMPlay. Think of it like a lightweight Winamp 2.xx with a useable library [tag stuff regardless of filetype] and the same amount of playback functionality. Well actually it's better, because the default music module playback doesn't suck goats, and accurate mod playback is something I need.

XMPlay is great.. really small and uses a constant 3 megs of ram. i would be using it now, but NSFplug doesn't work properly on it. so i'm still using good 'ol Winamp

I use Winamp over here mainly because I need it to run ormgas. That and to me it seems that it runs videos faster than Windows Media. Ionno though, I'm considering of uninstalling it and just sacrificing ormgas for the sake of my PC, considering it's VERY old and only has 12 gigs of memory. Yes, you read that right: 12 gigs.

I've been using Winamp for a long time, pretty much since the .mp3 format became popular. I don't use the Media Library within the program, but just organize the files on my hard drive and make .m3u's for playlists if I want them. And I love the plugin support for winamp. For people who have used Winamp and choose to use another program instead, what are the reasons?

Also, this is my first post here... hey.

This is a known bug and limitation with Windows as opposed to Winamp; there's a limit to how many extensions can be filtered for in the file open dialog, and when Winamp is associated with more extensions than that limit, it stops showing them and you have to pick just one.

AFAIK, the only way to work around this would be for Winamp developers to design their own file open dialog rather than using the native OS dialog, which imo they really should have done by now, given Winamp's popularity with input plugin developers and hence likeliness of being associated with numerous file types.

FYI, I use Winamp, and just upgraded to 5.5 on my main machine for testing with Chipamp. It's a little slow to launch, even with the Agent, but my biggest beef by bar is its closed source status and affiliation with AOL...

is there any way around it?

yeah, i'm not diggin the AOL crap either. and the winamp remote stuff hogs my entire CPU ALL the time. so i just closed that down. remote was the only thing i was interested in in the new release, and it's kinda ghetto when you're actually listening to your music.

it would have been nice if they'd have done the same thing the Zunes did - allowed you to send a limited-use song to a friend or something. but i guess that it'd be too easy to just use the equivalent of tunebite on it.

For playback, I use Winamp. I think I'm still using about v5.3 - I really like the interface and the ability to use plugins for chiptunes and such, but the library search function gets to be a little too slow these days.

For tagging files, I use Mp3tag. - It's great for tagging all manner of audio files and organising them.

For ripping, I use Exact Audio Copy and the LAME and FLAC encoders. - Incredibly reliable tool; great quality rips. There's no other way to do things.

When it comes to video playback, I've got the Combined Community Codec Pack, DivX Player, Nero Showtime, Media Player Classic

I really dislike iTunes and Windows Media Player... eurgh.