OCR01637 - Flashback "Memory Leak Suite"

djpretzel

Really nice fusion of elements; some orchestral, some folk/ethnic (I LOVE those ethnic woodwinds), some electronic, all brilliantly woven together. Some of the brass later in the piece seems a bit overly bright and forceful, but otherwise production is flawless.

I look forward to hearing to Beckett's future work, and I'm seriously considering getting Stuntman: Ignition for no other reason than that he worked on it.

I can't think of much to add to what I said on the WIP board:

"This is really impressive stuff, and not just because of the professional production values. You've taken some quite sparse, minimalist source material and turned it into something much more expansive. Medleys can sometimes feel a bit random, but the progression here feels totally natural. I think I'd even go so far as to use the word epic."

This mix has given me a new appreciation of Flashback's score, which I've never been very familiar with despite it being one of my favourite games. Looking forward to hearing the new material djp mentioned in the writeup.

Edit: Okay, so the transitions are basically non-existent. Even so, the shifts in mood seem, to me at least, pretty natural, taking the listener on a journey - albeit a slightly bumpy one.

Some Dynamic composition and excellent use of some high end gear really made this an awesome on multiple levels. The transitions are a lil wierd, but using similar sounds really evens things out. 4:34 is my all time favorite part...wow that got chills running down the spine. Can't wait to hear what sources you're gonna tackle.

Oh my good god... A remix of Flashback? Can it be true? It's always been my favourite game, and I've loved the music.

Hearing the main theme tune kick in at 1:30 brought back the memories. Rousing stuff. And then Captured at 3:10... Makes me wanna grab my emulator and play it again just for that cinematic.

Outstanding work! :D But then, it would be even for just the choice of subject matter.

Some very cool ideas on display here. :-)

I agree with Darkesword in that some of the reverb on the brass and orchestral elements was a little too present, but otherwise the samples were very well used and expertly mixed.

The weaker transitions bothered me though, as I felt that with everything else being on such a high level, the abrupt shifts to different sections broke a lot of built up momentum. The first transition was decent enough, as it went to a softer theme, but the others were pretty jarring.

Transitions aside, this is great stuff, I love the rich sounds you have going on, and the themes are pretty well expanded upon as well.

Nice work. :-D

Nice, I've been waiting for this to get posted since hearing it on the WIP boards. I think he's done a great job capturing the feel of the game and fusing the electronic/orchestral elements very well. Yeah, the (lack of) transitions are a bit disappointing, but each section is very well done in its own right. Nice string/choral patches and brass (man some of this brass REALLY cuts through everything). Very moving stuff.

I do wish there were more fluid transitions, but I think its somewhat compensated for by the overall dynamic, mood shifting feel of the piece. Annd I agree with polar in that it has that action bgm feel, but I think that makes it especially unique....I havent heard too many video game remixes that sound like they could be ambient video game music. The remixer's skills in video game music clearly shine through this track, and it makes his work stand out as individual...greatly looking forward to hearing what he produces next.

Let me be the first to say that, while being able appreciate this as a professional piece of music, I think this song really boring. Hahaha. I noticed that the guy said that he used a TON of stuff for this mix, which I can hear when I listen to it. However, I've slowly come to prefer mixes that say something like, "I'm gonna use this and this to make a [genre name] remix." I'm sure everybody's gonna be like, "WHATEVER!" But the first thing that comes to mind, (Although, I'll say this one is way more interesting) is The Last Samurai Soundtrack. Since that movie was considered a fairly big deal, when I watched this movie, I payed some extra attention to the music and realized that this music would be SO boring to listen to on its own. That's kind of the feel I get from this remix. I guess I could have easily summed all that up by simply saying that I don't dig the whole "soundtrack feel." Then again, I'm sure this was the guy's goal, so kudos to that.

Very good remix. It sounds just like it should be in a modern "remake" version of the game, like the upgrade of changing an 8 bits card for a 32 bits (or more), soundscape or roland sound card in old PC games. Good times were those whem I played Delphine Software Games("flashback", "another world" or "out of this world", and "heart of the alien").

Hey everyone,

First and foremost, thank you all for your comments and opinions.. they are appreciated! I was definitely going for a film / game soundtrack feel.. so if that isn't your thing chances are you won't really enjoy what I've done here. That said, I was also going for a Hans Zimmer / media ventures vibe. Thanks to my liberal use of compression and over the top brass samples... most of you picked up on it :-). Magotrox... always nice to know another Delphine fan... you should keep an ear out for my next remix... something tells me you'll dig it. Thanks again everyone, I look forward to seeing what you all think of my next two tracks!

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Many, many wonderful ideas in this one; the section from 2:34 on is my favourite one. However, I, too, must say that the lack of transitions is somewhat bothersome. It's still better to have zero-form transitions that bad ones, though.

Also, the soundtrack/Hans Zimmer vibe is definitely there, and I can dig that. Good work, and I hope to hear more from you, probably with transitions next time ;)

• 2 years later...

Oh wow. Now this is smooth.

I really like this because it changes things up a lot without disturbing a delicate balance of energy and tension; it does a whole dang lot within finite boundaries. For that I find it very impressive. It reminds me a lot of music from spy flicks like Mission Impossible and The Italian Job. This comes pretty highly recommended.

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01637 - Flashback "Memory Leak Suite"