Zero Punctuation (Hilarious) Game Reviews

sephfire

He was already forced to review Peggle, which he made abundantly clear in said review.

Escapist probably DOES force him to review some games. From what I gather, they help pay for his video games, especially for reviewing purposes. Escapist probably nudges him in various directions on reviewing, but I have no idea just how much if any pull they have over him right now. Considering ZP is pretty much the only thing Escapist has going for it, I'm pretty sure it'd be wiser to let the man have his freedom.

He also mentioned that The Escapist made him review Halo 3, and put him into the Tabula Rasa beta.

Yahtzee did much, much better with this one. And he preformed some excellent pwnage against the witless, faceless gramer demographic (named Adrian). One criticism I have is that rather then explain why he does or doesn't agree with Braid's high price, he merely glossed over it and "bragged" that Australia's been dealing with that problem for a long time. Well, that's great Yahtzee, but do you think that the price is fair? That's what I wanted to know.

Yahtzee did much, much better with this one. And he preformed some excellent pwnage against the witless, faceless gramer demographic (named Adrian). One criticism I have is that rather then explain why he does or doesn't agree with Braid's high price, he merely glossed over it and "bragged" that Australia's been dealing with that problem for a long time. Well, that's great Yahtzee, but do you think that the price is fair? That's what I wanted to know.

Actually, he basically said that he doesn't give a stuff that it's 15 bucks cuz us Aussies are used to the shitty prices we have to pay for games. Well, I think "used to" is a misleading phrase, I believe bloody pissed off but there's no real point in complaining anymore cuz nothing's gonna change is a better one.

I'm with Penny Arcade on this - I don't understand why $10 or $15 or whatever it was is such a ridiculous price point. That's under $20 bucks, which is already an insanely good price for a game.

I'm with Penny Arcade on this - I don't understand why $10 or $15 or whatever it was is such a ridiculous price point. That's under $20 bucks, which is already an insanely good price for a game.

It's ridiculous when the game in question is quite short and simple. Look at Bionic Commando: Rearmed as a counter-point. For 400 less points, I can get a game with better graphics, more replay value (difficulty levels, challenge rooms), multiplayer, leaderboards, and more carnal appeal. Wouldn't you say that list embarrasses smaller games like Braid?

It's ridiculous when the game in question is quite short and simple. Look at Bionic Commando: Rearmed as a counter-point. For 400 less points, I can get a game with better graphics, more replay value (difficulty levels, challenge rooms), multiplayer, leaderboards, and more carnal appeal. Wouldn't you say that list embarrasses smaller games like Braid?

Not really, because Braid just has a *different* style of graphics, as well as leaderboards, and speed runs for replayability. I guess you could say that Braid embarrasses games like Bionic Commando because instead of rehashing a classic, someone decided to attempt something new (and did a good job of it).

The people crying over an extra $5 must be in their early-to-mid teens, 'cause $5 is peanuts.

Braid is a great experience, but the developer is a bit of a pompous ass. Calling out World of Warcraft saying it milks the gamers? We heard that one before. Only a million times.

Also, the game is a bit on the short side IMO. You have a lot of little secrets and challenge rooms in Bionic Commando or get a lot more actual content out of something like Puzzle Quest for example. And now Castle Crashers.

I paid for Braid, but 800 points would've been optimal.

Not really, because Braid just has a *different* style of graphics, as well as leaderboards, and speed runs for replayability. I guess you could say that Braid embarrasses games like Bionic Commando because instead of rehashing a classic, someone decided to attempt something new (and did a good job of it).

The people crying over an extra $5 must be in their early-to-mid teens, 'cause $5 is peanuts.

You think speed runs provide more replayablility than more than 50 challenge rooms, secret challenge rooms, hidden objects in every single level, co-op, and multiplayer? You're not looking at this objectively, are you? BC clearly provideds more bang for less buck.

Braid's doing something new? I think a certain persian prince used those time powers before. And I've seen puzzles in games before. They're called, "puzzle games." Crazy, isn't it? :<

If developers think we don't care about being overcharged $5, it'll be $10 next, and so on and so forth until the regular addition of Halo 4 costs $100 (slight exageration, I know).

You think speed runs provide more replayablility than more than 50 challenge rooms, secret challenge rooms, hidden objects in every single level, co-op, and multiplayer? You're not looking at this objectively, are you? BC clearly provideds more bang for less buck.

Braid's doing something new? I think a certain persian prince used those time powers before. And I've seen puzzles in games before. They're called, "puzzle games." Crazy, isn't it? :<

If developers think we don't care about being overcharged $5, it'll be $10 next, and so on and so forth until the regular addition of Halo 4 costs $100 (slight exageration, I know).

Slight? Games are proportionally cheaper now than they ever have been. I approve of a ten-dollar price hike on $50 games, because frankly I'd rather see developers make more off an individual copy sold than having to spend half their budget on marketing so that they can turn a profit.

first of all nobody is being overcharged for anything - if I remember correctly Braid cost almost 200, 000 fucking dollars to make so maybe just maybe this guy is trying to break even and you know feed himself

second iF halo 4 cost a hundred dollars millions of people would still buy it so again

who the fuck cares

I guess a lot of people don't recall how expensive games have been in the past. NES carts were upwards of $70 back in the 80s. THE 80S. When things were cheaper and life was all about being able to buy things. Look at prices for everything these days: food, gas, housing, clothes. Almost everything has gone up in price over the last 20 years, except video games. Consoles have generally gotten cheaper and games have generally gone down in accordance.

I'd also like to point out that there are games of similar quality and length that charge full prices out on the market. Braid gives you a game at a price that is not only reasonable, but digestible.

And yet $15 for one game is still an outrage, even though most games range from $30 to $60.

I hope you're not taking people who espouse this seriously. Any legitimate concerns against Braid will not include its price.

I think back to Viewtiful Joe, which, like Braid, was 2D and rife with time-altering powers. You got more presentation there, and it was only twice the price. Nobody complained about VJ's price.