Zero Punctuation (Hilarious) Game Reviews

sephfire

And yet $15 for one game is still an outrage, even though most games range from $30 to $60.

Personally, for me, I don't view it as an outrage. If anything, it's a slight peeve to me. But, it's a peeve because the lack of content doesn't warrent the price. In less than 10 hours, my $15 bucks is completely used up. BC and Castle Crashers provide much more content at the same, or less expense.

PoP's time powers were for more than just erasing a death, BTW (I forgot who brought this up).

Hehe, I'm sorry you live in a country that rips you off regularly. Perhaps if you and every australian gamer boycotted videogame purchases for a year, game companies would listen and make prices more reasonable for you?

Yeah, that's realistic...:roll:

I guess a lot of people don't recall how expensive games have been in the past. NES carts were upwards of $70 back in the 80s. THE 80S. When things were cheaper and life was all about being able to buy things.

Cartridges meritted the higher prices we used to pay for games. They actually costed quite a bit to make. It's not the same with discs, where the money going in is measured in pennies. Or even less so, with bandwidth. The box that a storebought game comes in is now the most expensive part of the purchase.

$120+ for Phantasy Star 4. And to this day, still one of the best bangs for the buck.

I also have no regret paying $70 for DKC1 and DKC2. The time I spent on all of them were worth it. Hundreds of hours. Maybe Super Mario RPG too. That was way too expensive and I had to hold my parents hostage back then.

I bought Pokemon Stadium for 110$ when it first came out

Wow, you got pwnt. I think the most I've payed for a game ever is 90 bucks for the special edition of GTA IV, which I love the lockbox and duffle bag from.

I paid 90 bucks for GH 2 and GH3 for 360 too. So its a tie.

Cartridges meritted the higher prices we used to pay for games. They actually costed quite a bit to make. It's not the same with discs, where the money going in is measured in pennies. Or even less so, with bandwidth. The box that a storebought game comes in is now the most expensive part of the purchase.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. What I'm saying is that Braid is a pretty good game, free of glitches, that is under $20. It's not discounted, it's not a demo, it's a full game.

So why are people bitching about the price when it's actually far lower than other games? Look at Heavenly Sword(s): it's only about six hours long, and it's priced at about $60. Braid is a far better deal at $15.

Maybe it's not fair to compare a "big" title against an "indie" game, but when you think about it, the price is perfectly agreeable.

I'm starting to wonder if people are feeling like they have been overcharged because they can't take Braid to (uhg) Gamestop and trade it in. It makes sense. You buy a game that you don't like, you take it back and (stupidly) get a small amount of money or trade-in value for it. Braid, if you don't like it, you can't do anything about; it's just there, on your system. There's no refund, no exchange... So you can't take it back and put it forward to something you thin you would like more.

I guess there really is no pleasing people.

Maybe I'm not making my point clear. What I'm saying is that Braid is a pretty good game, free of glitches, that is under $20. It's not discounted, it's not a demo, it's a full game.

So why are people bitching about the price when it's actually far lower than other games? Look at Heavenly Sword(s): it's only about six hours long, and it's priced at about $60. Braid is a far better deal at $15.

Maybe it's not fair to compare a "big" title against an "indie" game, but when you think about it, the price is perfectly agreeable.

I'm starting to wonder if people are feeling like they have been overcharged because they can't take Braid to (uhg) Gamestop and trade it in. It makes sense. You buy a game that you don't like, you take it back and (stupidly) get a small amount of money or trade-in value for it. Braid, if you don't like it, you can't do anything about; it's just there, on your system. There's no refund, no exchange... So you can't take it back and put it forward to something you thin you would like more.

The thing about Braid is everyone bitches about the price, then seems to buy it anyway lol. It's kind of up there with the 'outraged' people about things like Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy porting to the 360, declaring that they won't even bother buying the game when it's out because of it. People just like to complain, which is apt to point out in the Zero Punctuation thread xD.

I guess it might seem comparatively expensive to, say, Bionic Commando Rearmed-an equally full downloadable game, but I still think it's a tad silly to complain about the price. I'm usually quite happy to pay-more money to the indie developers who come out with awesome games like this rather than giving them a cut via the publishers. Original downloadable games are becoming far more respectable than the throwaway, novelty offerings they used to be.

Vaguely back on topic, I think the older Zero Punctuations were funnier-more emphasis on humour than scathing crits, but I think that people who pointed out the escapist probably making him review games he wouldn't otherwise want to are probably right on the money.

His legacy will live on in the little voice at the back of my mind, whenever you get to name an RPG protaganist saying "Call him fagballs...".

For anyone who doesn't get the reference, do yourself a favour and watch his Phantom Hourglass review :wink:

I apologise. I wasn't calling you out, and I didn't even concern myself with what the discussion was about. I just saw a few comments about how games used to be more expensive, so we should be greatful that they're less now. Yours just happened to be the one I quoted. Personally, if I see a game I want I'll probably buy it regardless of the price. I throw my money away on far worse things than overpriced games. Like take out food. So yeah, no disprespect intended in my previous comment. I was just chipping in.

scathing crits

Hey, that defines Bahamut's TF2 play.

Steel Battalion.

Jesus, Steel Batallion. My friend who's not even particularly into mech games, or mech anime or whatever made a point of buying that on eBay in spite of all our warnings that it would not be money well spent.

The controls are insane-it's probably good training for being a pilot or operating a tank or whatever xD but a fun game, it was not, really.

Very ambitious idea, but punishing little things like needing to 'eject' before dying or it would wipe your save file completely push it over the edge.

Needless to say it was not long before this game was sold on.

...I would actually LOVE to hear Yahtzee rip into this game lol.

I never got very far in it, sadly. first because playing it on anything smaller than about a 30" TV is a nightmare, second because my games and Xbox got stolen (still have the controller, though).

I actually liked bits like having to hit the eject button to avoid death. you get plenty of time to react, as I recall... I just wish, and some reviewers agreed, that some of the switches were for more than just startup. if you are dumb enough to shut off the oxygen recycler in your VT, you should asphyxiate, etc.

Well, to be fair, there are a lot of people with that kind of reviewing style out there. Most of them aren't published, and more importantly, virtually none of them possess the sharp wit that Yahtzee does. If he wasn't funny, he'd be out of a job because he'd be pissing everyone off.

Anyway, I watch his reviews for the humor. Sometimes he has astute observations (a number of them on JPRGs, who may be easy targets, but whatever), but his tastes in games differ so much from mine that taking a recommendation or a down-turn from him comes with a grain of salt. *Shrugs*

That said, this week's was quite funny, actually. I've never played EVE, but I've heard stories of people dual or triple-boxing to make money and attempt to dominate like that. Yeah. No thanks.

I've never played EVE, but I've heard stories of people dual or triple-boxing to make money and attempt to dominate like that. Yeah. No thanks.

It's rather wild in that sense. There's a way that if you earn enough ingame money you can spend it on a time card. Corporations (guilds) with members that earn enough cash can easily get either a month or 60-day card I believe, thus virtually allowing the players to play for free. Sometimes you can earn even more money and not only use the time card for yourself but sell the time cards as well for real cash...

That said, I occasionally play EVE and as of now technically play for free because I made a good friend who has buttloads of ingame cash to give me a time card :)!!

Luckily through pirating instead of "farming" :lol:

Does anyone remember which video makes the FFX Yuna vs. FFX2 Yuna comparison? I'm trying to find it and am not succeeding.

I don't think Yahtzee has made that comparison in any of his videos. I made a small Yuna X/X-2 comparison in one of my videos, though, and they're pretty blatantly ... ahem, inspired by Zero Punctuation, so maybe you saw it there? I only briefly alluded to it, though, so maybe you're thinking of some other video entirely.

That is an interesting series of videos. I wish he hadn't tried to duplicate the Yahtzee voice. His "low and fast" is just hard to understand and dull to listen to. But I can appreciate the effort he's gone to to expose Gamestop's business practices. I mean, that's 90 minutes of video. I do less than ten minutes for every one of my similar videos and it drains me.

His execution might be lacking, but I hope the videos get plenty of attention. I know it won't put a dent in the steamroller that is Gamestop, but it's the thought that counts.