Zero Punctuation (Hilarious) Game Reviews

sephfire

One of his better reviews in awhile. Not necessarily the funniest, but it was actually more constructive than usual. His quips were amusing as usual, so right on with that.

I actually agree with his view on moral choice systems in how they're typically executed. I like the concept of a moral choice system in theory, but, like Yahtzee, the lack of a middle ground and "slightly" good or "lesser" evil choices need to exist as well. Morality is a difficult thing to quantify, so such a system would be very difficult to implement well, I'll grant. But unless you can make "gray morality" a viable strategy, sometimes sacrificing the whole morality angle is worth it to make a better narrative.

Aw, a rental? :(

Mind you I'm not a huge GTA kinda guy so if that's you're thing I'd say you'd buy it and would enjoy it thoroughly. Heck I'm the guy that likes masochistic challenges once in a while and that sure as hell not every body's fun...

Check out a thread I made some time ago you'll see what I mean.

I should clarify: When I say "Aw, a rental?" I mean, "Aw, you're not going to buy the game I worked on?" :P I'm not a huge GTA fan, either, but I can say that I certainly had fun during both my play-throughs before we shipped--and that's after all the testing and tweaking and non-recreational game-playing I did everyday. I'm glad you're gonna rent it, though. I'm proud of what we accomplished.

Oh, and Triad Onion: I agree with your stance on the absence of neutral karma, but basically the story is, we did some focus testing, and the results we got back said nobody really cared about the middle ground. :\ Weird.

Back on topic, though: Yay, Yahtzee liked it! Strange how that feels like a significant accomplishment--that one dude in Australia liked our game. :P

Yahtzee! Have you forgotten about what having fun in games is like?! This review was a fricking joke! And NO: Whipfist is NOT the only weapon in the game worth using! You'd know that if you'd actually played a little farther!!! If any weapon is broken, it's the Blade.

Sure, gliding events (and the other events) don't make sense in the story...but they're not SUPPOSED to! They're FUN! A simple diversion with a small reward involved. That's what I thought games were SUPPOSED to do!

But, in his favor, at least he stayed away from the more obvious shortcomings like graphics or lock-on.

Yahtzee! Have you forgotten about what having fun in games is like?! This review was a fricking joke! And NO: Whipfist is NOT the only weapon in the game worth using! You'd know that if you'd actually played a little farther!!! If any weapon is broken, it's the Blade.

Sure, gliding events (and the other events) don't make sense in the story...but they're not SUPPOSED to! They're FUN! A simple diversion with a small reward involved. That's what I thought games were SUPPOSED to do!

But, in his favor, at least he stayed away from the more obvious shortcomings like graphics or lock-on.

If you look directly over your head, you will see the point passing right on out of your reach.

And what might that point be, oh illumined one? That he doesn't take his reviews seriously, so we shouldn't either? Yeah, that's a great excuse and all, but seriously. If he's gonna make fun of something, he should at least know what exactly he's making fun of.

It's like saying, "Ocarina of Time loses points because once you get the Hookshot you won't use any other weapons." Anybody who actually plays the game can easily tell you how wrong that is. So Prototype loses a point for something that isn't even true? Usually when Yahtzee criticizes something, at least you can understand why he'd criticize it.