Zero Punctuation (Hilarious) Game Reviews

sephfire

I hate it when he reviews these games because nobody buys them for the campaign. I don't want to hear critique for the campaign, because who cares.

That said, a friend gifted me MW3, and the multiplayer is... adequate. One thing I'm having a hard time getting used to is how fast you die. All the emphasis is on reaction time. The graphics are very good, but the palette feels extremely dark, giving it a strange cartoon-like atmosphere because real life has more contrast. The maps are also far less interesting than MW2's.

I dunno. Citation?

Even if it's true, FPS campaigns have never been able to engage me. I love single player games, but not in this form. Chalk it up to personal preference I guess.

EDIT: Tried booting up the MW3 campaign to prove myself wrong, but I get an error on the first loading screen every time I try. Glad to see that budget was spent so well that I can't even start the game XD

Do you have a citation for most buyers ignoring the single player?

I'm not sure about MW3, as I'm not interested in the least, but a quick visit to the Battlelog forums (BF3's online service) will yield that there's a definite understanding between the community and DICE that the game is multiplayer-centric. Battlefield's always kinda been a primarily multiplayer game. Kinda like UT.

I do, on both counts.

Frankly, that multiplayer has become far more important to gamers than the single-player experience is disheartening to say the least.

For FPS games. I really don't care to do a campaign in a format where the only mechanic is to aim down your sights and fire.

Single player is very important to me, but RPGs and action games have better means to support an engaging single player experience. For me, anyway.

It's an educated guess. The single player campaigns require writers, voice actors, set piece levels with a shit-ton of scripted events going on, lots of special animation work, and god knows what else. Do you have a citation for most buyers ignoring the single player?

No, but I think there's a lot of work that goes into multiplayer too. Map design, sound design, network engineering, scripting for all the killstreaks, programming for matchmaking, tons of testing needed to simulate a multiplayer experience designed for 16+ players at once. I think it's every bit as complex as a campaign, and probably costs a pretty penny.

Frankly, that multiplayer has become far more important to gamers than the single-player experience is disheartening to say the least.

It hasn't. Otherwise single-player only games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim wouldn't have sold as ridiculously holy shit well as they did.

• 2 weeks later...