MP3 players.which do you use? and why?

prophetik music

I'm using a 40GB Toshiba Gigabeat that I got on eBay for $60. I've got Rockbox running on it instead of the original firmware, so I can play ogg and FLAC files (downside: Rockbox isn't all that intuitive to use). The battery's in the process of dying, though, so I'll need to crack it open and perform battery-replacement surgery before too long.

I have a 1GB iPod shuffle. The On/Off button broke, and now its a glorified USB flash drive.

bought an RCA pearl something or other.. has 512 MB of flash memory and a slot for a Mini Pro Duo memory card for expansion and USB plugin for file transfer. This thing cost me 30 USD, and seems capable of taking quite the beating. It does use batteries though (1 AAA=15 hrs of play time at a decent volume level. I intend to invest in rechargables).

iPod is a piece of shit for videos.

'Tis true, I remember getting like 30 - 45 min for videos on my 1st gen iPod Video.

I've bought a 20 GB 4th gen iPod, 1st gen iPod Video, and 1st gen iPod Nano. The 4th gen died in under an year (also have had it sent numerous times for various bugs such as permafreezes) - the battery life dove rapidly too, netting less than 5 hours too. The iPod Video had similar problems with the battery life, although I don't know how low it would've went because it got stolen one day during a workout at the gym. The Nano I gave away because I got sick of portable music players, and I hardly used it (it was free though!).

I have a 1GB iPod shuffle. The On/Off button broke, and now its a glorified USB flash drive.

bought an RCA pearl something or other.. has 512 MB of flash memory and a slot for a Mini Pro Duo memory card for expansion and USB plugin for file transfer. This thing cost me 30 USD, and seems capable of taking quite the beating. It does use batteries though (1 AAA=15 hrs of play time at a decent volume level. I intend to invest in rechargables).

Good choice on the RCA. I've had a K@zoo and Lyra before and both were great players.

I've got a little 1 gig Sandisk that I stole from my mom. It's nice cos it's small, flash memory, and cheaper. That way if I lose it or it gets broken or someth' it isn't the end of the world.

Plus, I don't need any sort of program to transfer files, I just drag and drop via Windows Explorer.

That what I want with my next mp3 player purchase. Drag and drop to Windows Explorer. Right now I have iPod shuffle first generation.(yes I know there are program that let you drag and drop on your iPod. I kind of don't like them though.)

I like iPod shuffle but man I just want to drop my songs 123 and go. Not go through i-tunes.

supremespleen does Sandisk flash mp3 player have it where you can double click the play button, and goes back to first listed song just like the iPod shuffle. If so I'm sold.

All so would anybody know are there other mp3 player that do drag and drop to Windows Explorer I'm sure there are. Folks here mention what mp3 player they use but didn't really mention if it did drag drop thingy.

I seriously recommend you stay away from anything by Creative.

I've got a Creative Zen Neeon 4GB and, well I never thought it possible that an mp3 player could freeze....but it can. Seriously! I'm taking it out for a jog and the bloody thing freezes and becomes inoperable until you wait til the batteries run out and recharge it again. I don't know if it's just me, but that thing is a pain in the ass.

h910de4.jpg

Like some others here, I have a Zen Vision M, 60 GB. And yeah, I need all them gigabutts.

I upgraded from my 40 GB Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra, which was a tad more durable and actually had a removable battery, but the headphone jack broke. and since the thing was almost full I was like "eh I'll get a new one." It's unfortunate that there are no jukebox players this size with removable batteries anymore? It's still amazing though, and the video quality is stunning, considering the small size of the screen.

edit: also, you wanted to know what software runs it? Well, it can sync with Windows Media Player or you can upload to the Zen with Creative's own thing. I would normally not like using WMP but they made it really easy. All you do is hit F3 to search for new shit, then hit a "sync" button and then it just finishes. GG

That what I want with my next mp3 player purchase. Drag and drop to Windows Explorer. Right now I have iPod shuffle first generation.(yes I know there are program that let you drag and drop on your iPod. I kind of don't like them though.)

I like iPod shuffle but man I just want to drop my songs 123 and go. Not go through i-tunes.

supremespleen does Sandisk flash mp3 player have it where you can double click the play button, and goes back to first listed song just like the iPod shuffle. If so I'm sold.

All so would anybody know are there other mp3 player that do drag and drop to Windows Explorer I'm sure there are. Folks here mention what mp3 player they use but didn't really mention if it did drag drop thingy.

Sandisk Sansa supports drag and drop and the battery is removable, but there's 4 screws to unscrew. OverCoat, do you mean the battery just clips on?

Sandisk Sansa supports drag and drop and the battery is removable, but there's 4 screws to unscrew. OverCoat, do you mean the battery just clips on?

In the new Zen there is no removable batteries, but in the Nomad Jukebox, you could pop the [metal!] front off and take out the battery. Some proprietary thing, but at least it was replaceable.

In the new Zen there is no removable batteries, but in the Nomad Jukebox, you could pop the [metal!] front off and take out the battery. Some proprietary thing, but at least it was replaceable.

Ok, that is like the Sansa, except with screws instead of snaps. That was actually a pretty major selling point for me when I found I could get replacement batteries online for about 20 USD.

Second vote for the Creative Zen Vision:M. I have the 30GB version, but it's the same interface, only less memory. Order it through Amazon.com and you'll probably be able to get it for $25-$50 less than the regular MRSP.

Anyway, the Zen Vision:M's interface takes a little bit to get used to, but after maybe 2-3 days of playing around with it, it gets intuitive. Plus you have extra playlist features, an FM tuner (and ability to record from radio), video playback (WMV only though), and a microphone.

Durability-wise, I've had no problems with mine so far. You might also want to get some $5 skins for it to keep it scratch-proof (http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront). KF

I thought the Zen supports DivX/xVid as well. I've got quite some South Park episodes on mine :P

there's a lot of good discussion in this thread. i'm gonna do some research of my own with the ideas that people have posted and see what i find.

37 gigs of music isn't that hard when you've got ruckus. i mean, dj sets that are four hours long are like 300 megs themselves, and i've got a LOT of those.

thanks for everyone's input.