Vsti / Vst

A VSTi is an instrument. It can be used to generate sound, given MIDI input. A VST can either mean a plugin that doesn't produce sound from MIDI input (i.e. an effect, like a delay or reverb plugin), or any plugin (instrument or effect) that is written as a VST (as opposed to other similar formats). Most people generally refer to either type as a VST, and the context is usually obvious (it's easy to tell a reverb plugin from a sampled symphonic orchestra).

Yeah, I can't really visualize how that would work either.. at least in FL, if you want to run channel audio through something, you have to run the processor as an effect. I imagine it's like this for a number of hosts, given that NI releases multiple versions of their plugins one version for VSTi, one version for VST effect (Pro-53 FX, FM8 FX, Reaktor5 FX and so on.) Then again, FL is also better than most sequencers in that it doesn't need to automate midi CC data but can directly automate VST parameters at a very high resolution. ;)