MOD NOTE: Larry has gutted this thread on 'Cursed Bloodline' like a fish

Kenobio

If you have trouble getting your song to pass, just put a techno beat in the background and it will make the front page. :)

Nawww. You're just exaggerating because there is a huge pant-load of techno on this site. Which, as annoying as that may be, makes a huge pant-load of sense because the arguably easiest way to make amateur music that requires as much production sense as OCR requires is to do it electronically. I mean, hey, I didn't have an orchestra of people on stand-by in a recording studio to help me make Destroy Movements. ^_^

Yes, let's!

Tell me about your sig, it's slightly disturbing.

It's a picture of our favorite Liontamer getting undressed for money, then me with fake bling around my neck, and then the lovely and illustrious Paige for whom I have pined for years and years much to the loathing of said Liontamer.

The longer explanation is so much more complicated.

Oh, so thats what I've been doing wrong.

yeah you suck man, booo

It's a picture of our favorite Liontamer getting undressed for money, then me with fake bling around my neck, and then the lovely and illustrious Paige for whom I have pined for years and years much to the loathing of said Liontamer.

The longer explanation is so much more complicated.

so you haven't actually been stealing the lady?

because I've always found that pretty offensive ;P

almost as offensive as the larry-undressing-picture

Harmony, Another Soundscape, I gotta turn around and disagree AGAIN. Hahaha. Of course lyrics make us like the music and the human voice IS definitely an instrument used for producing sound and music, but my statement about "lyrics" not being music is all about being able to separate the "lyrics" from the "vocals." Most people don't think about it that way because they do go extremely hand in hand. So yeah, the vocal melody, the timbre of the voice, and even the sound that results from the different mouth shapes that happen to form words all definitely count as lyrics. HOWEVER! (LOL) the fact that those vocals create words which have meaning isn't music. He could have sung completely different lyrics in the same way and aside from the difference in the sound resulting from different mouth shapes, we could say that it's otherwise exactly the same thing. Of course if he WERE saying something about pink bunnies and cotton candy, we'd all think it was stupid and unrelated to the music because it would be. Hahaha. But that's just verbal communication which is a completely different thing from music. I doubt I'm ever gonna get anyone who's not linguistics teacher to agree with me on this, ESPECIALLY musicians, but there's my argument anyway. ^_^

I partially agree with you. I could do a rap over some video game music and I wouldn't expect to get that passed because it wouldn't have enough interpretation, unless the underlying track had enough interpretation on its own. I think, though, that it's fair to say that while vocals shouldn't be the only interpretative contribution to a mix, they also shouldn't be discounted. I don't think that lyrics are completely independent of the music they're written for (unless, of course, the lyrics were originally from some other source; people enjoyed the text of Carmina Burana long before Orff), but they're clearly not as integral to the music as the melodies (vocal or instrumental) and harmonies. If that wasn't the case, jazz would've had a lot more trouble as a genre, as much of the music that's considered to be a jazz standard has lyrics which are used at most as a stylistic guide for the instrumental performer in instrumental jazz ensembles.

I actually didn't realize that the preset was a loop, I just reacted to your statement about the preset in general. I can understand that it's another matter when it comes to a vital part being a preset, melodic loop. Though I still can't really see what's wrong with it if it sounds good. It's like banning the use of Hot Pants or Amen just because it's a preset loop that's the main support in drum'n'bass. You can't critisize the arrangement of a song for using Amen as the main drum loop, can you? You could even compare it to using a 2-5-1 in Jazz-arrangements. I realize the two things I mention are standards in that particular genre of music, but doesn't that make them even more taboo and "preset"?

An even better example is a 12-bar blues pattern. Sure, there are some minor variations, but they're standard enough. I don't see anything wrong with a 2-5-1 pattern in a jazz remix, because no competent jazz musician would build a remix using solely that pattern. I think we're talking about the line between using and overusing a stylistic idiom. Saying that 2-5-1, when properly used, constitutes a "preset" is on the same level as saying that classical pieces (and those from genres derived in any way from classical, which basically includes everything) shouldn't use any standard cadences, as those are too much of a "preset". I think the issue is with overuse, not use.

Let's talk about me more.

Any thoughts about doing a more jazz-oriented remix? I was really hoping to hear more of your interpretation of the J-E-N-O-V-A theme that got included in your VotL remix, or something else in a similar style.

An even better example is a 12-bar blues pattern. Sure, there are some minor variations, but they're standard enough. I don't see anything wrong with a 2-5-1 pattern in a jazz remix, because no competent jazz musician would build a remix using solely that pattern. I think we're talking about the line between using and overusing a stylistic idiom. Saying that 2-5-1, when properly used, constitutes a "preset" is on the same level as saying that classical pieces (and those from genres derived in any way from classical, which basically includes everything) shouldn't use any standard cadences, as those are too much of a "preset". I think the issue is with overuse, not use.

The 2-5-1 was a stupid example I admit, and I think I tried to explain that. But the Amen break is still a good example. Because that preset isn't really THAT overused when coupled with the voice and voice fx.

I don't think that lyrics are completely independent of the music they're written for (unless, of course, the lyrics were originally from some other source; people enjoyed the text of Carmina Burana long before Orff), but they're clearly not as integral to the music as the melodies (vocal or instrumental) and harmonies. If that wasn't the case, jazz would've had a lot more trouble as a genre, as much of the music that's considered to be a jazz standard has lyrics which are used at most as a stylistic guide for the instrumental performer in instrumental jazz ensembles.
Yeah, that's a good example of what I was mentioning before. There are lots of recordings out there of classic jazz singers like Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald singing multiple versions of a song; some with full lyrics, some with stylized scat singing, and some with a mix of both. The lyrical versions give the songs a certain impact for sure, but the scat versions are no less amazing...just different. "Lady Be Good" as sung by Ella in a scat/lyrics mix is an awesome thing :)
It's a picture of our favorite Liontamer getting undressed for money, then me with fake bling around my neck...

Damn, I've been fooled by astoundingly accurate Photoshop again!

Damn, I've been fooled by astoundingly accurate Photoshop again!

Or, possibly even mspaint for the truly ambitious!

Regarding earlier discussion, presets are like samples. It's not so much what you use, it's how you use them. PERIOD.

Also, I'd have probably thrown a NO (resub) on the CV mix, just because the mixing is kind of crap. Mostly on the drums. They are waaaaay too far back. Guitars are loud as hell, and could probably stand to come back just enough to let the drums and vocals breathe better. But that's just me.

Otherwise, I have no complaints about the track.

To Harmony: Yeah sorry, I was pretty penniless back when I took that picture and couldn't even get the five and dime jewelry I needed for big pose.

AO: I don't actually steal women, but borrow them on occasion. Oh, and I will never give up that photo of LT. I have a big blow up poster of it on my wall, and I wail on and cry on my knees to it every night in preparation for the day when I will get to meet him in person. And then I will die, willingly, in his sinewy black arms.

Kanthos: I haven't had time in a long time to do a piano remix .. mostly I just can't come up with an idea. But I appreciate the comments on the JENOVA part. That was my favorite change up. Someday I'll get something in the works ...

P.S. I hate quotes.

uhh it still has 0 vampires in it
Ohh, sorry about that. It's just that when I look at the first page of this thread now, CHIPP's original post is gone (moved to the review thread) and has been replaced by Kenobio's post with the cover of The Belmont Legacy #3. Now, granted I've never read it nor have I played a majority of the Castlevania games, but I guessed, apparently incorrectly, that the large zombified figure with fangs that was being attacked by who I assumed to be Belmont, a vampire killer, was a vampire. An understandable mistake, I'm sure you'd agree. Thank you for the correction.

Ohh, sorry about that. It's just that when I look at the first page of this thread now, CHIPP's original post is gone (moved to the review thread) and has been replaced by Kenobio's post with the cover of The Belmont Legacy #3. Now, granted I've never read it nor have I played a majority of the Castlevania games, but I guessed, apparently incorrectly, that the large zombified figure with fangs that was being attacked by who I assumed to be Belmont, a vampire killer, was a vampire. An understandable mistake, I'm sure you'd agree. Thank you for the correction.

Don't worry, he was wrong. A vampire was indeed being killed by a vampire killer's Vampire Killer.

Well, since this is now a Castlevania thread...

I picked up SotN on XBLA today, and I'm totally loving it so far. It's been far too long since I've played a 2D game this good. It also makes me very sad that a new 2D Metroid seems pretty unlikely. Anyone else pick this up? I'm sure this is old news by now, but still, trying to start some conversation here.

Well, since this is now a Castlevania thread...

I picked up SotN on XBLA today, and I'm totally loving it so far. It's been far too long since I've played a 2D game this good. It also makes me very sad that a new 2D Metroid seems pretty unlikely. Anyone else pick this up? I'm sure this is old news by now, but still, trying to start some conversation here.

Protip: Fear the Schmoo.

Also, another 2-D Metroid would be love, but it seems that Nintendo prefers to push the first person angle. Which I'm feeling a bit...I dunno, wary about. The Prime games for the 'Cube were excellent, but Prime Hunters left a sour taste in my mouth. At the very LEAST, they could continue on after Fusion.

On a CV-related note, I grabbed Castlevania 64 the other day out of morbid curiosity and a drive to collect a copy of every Castlevania game. Jesus CHRIST that game is horrible.

No way, Castlevania 64 is a pretty neat game. You just gotta give it a chance.

And wasn't IGA planning on a new 2-d Castlevania game for DS after he finished Dracula X on PSP?

I DID give it a chance, even going so far as beating it with both characters. That damnable camera (or lack thereof) and faulty lock-on function made getting through it rather infuriating. The other CV game for the 64 might be better; I gotta track down a copy.

I hope IGA does another DS game. Portrait of Ruin was great, even if the art style took a bit of a nose dive. I hope for a better multiplayer function next time around, though--like a co-op mode through the castle proper instead of a boss rush mode rehashed.