OCR01638 - Psychonauts "Psychotic Censors"

djpretzel

OMG the theme from SPY HUNTER! Man was that game fun. Sadly, I've never heard the source tune for the main mix, but that specific cameo at 1:28-1:42 brought a smile to my face. Loved the other coupla references I caught as well. This mix definitely has that Beetlejuice vibe, but overall it’s just another example of Mazedude awesomeness. Nice work man.

(I ain't never seen Peter Gunn so for me it’ll be the Spy Hunter theme till the day I die!)

my favorite track off the EP, by far and that is saying a lot as i love all my fellow bad dudes and their mazika very very much.

but my homie, mr. getman, knows how to get funky better than anyone and this is the usual refined, brilliant chaos. this is wicked as hell. i'm not familiar with psyhonauts at all but after listening to this, i think i wanna play it.

spy hunter was nuts. the musicianship, the intensity, the artistry.

YES

Oh, this is beyond win. It's like you took the creepy, disjointed feeling of the original track (and most of the game, for that matter) and cranked it up to 11. I just had the pleasure of finishing this game up a short while back, despite first playing it soon after it came out, and this fits it to a T. Excellent work. :)

I'm envious of the way you can fill your works with an overwhelming dark atmosphere. I've tried so many times and failed to do the same. When the Peter Gunn theme came slithering through at the 1:30 mark unexpectedly, you won me over with goosebumps.:<

Overall fantastic mix. I love the style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an excellent track that might easily have gone wrong and turned pretentious, but didn't. Instead, it uses sound variety combined with a ostinato-turning-theme that drives the piece with a powerful chord. Besides all the the great musicianship, there is a minor complaint to be made, which is that the artist could have been slightly more liberal in overall dynamics to make it perfect. But this is it, apart from that it is simple a great song.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting, this is a track that takes several listens to get a decent feel for, and then several more to get a working familiarity with. There are so many hidden motifs in this, like the aforementioned Peter Gunn theme, as well as a few others I can't as readily name, but mostly recognize from ages-ago music theory classes or commercials. :P

This mix plays out as an aggressive stroll down some demonic main street with all sorts of things happening at once as you pass. It juxtaposes at a breakneck speed, sometimes sounding completely natural, and shifting to something jarringly mechanical (like that insane piano run). Qualities like this actually add to the nightmarish feel, as if for a moment things seem normal on the surface, and then the facade is ripped away suddenly, revealing something else entirely beneath.

Not something i'd listen to casually, but undeniably compelling. It will take a few listens, but you'd do well to get familiar with this one. Very much a quality mix.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ah Psychonauts. I thought the game was a lot more interesting than it was fun. Sort of a once only experience. Its soundtrack was a bit of the same for me, although there was some great orchestral themes in it.

From what I remember, this mix is pretty faithful to the original. There is more of an edge here, obviously, and is embedded with a lot more cameos (although I'm pretty sure some of them were in it originally).

I don't think I'd label this as essential listening, and is more of an acquired taste. A lot of it has to do with the theme, which teeters on dissonant with it's high-registers and unpredictable progression.

It's a great recreation of the source game, however, and really captures the tone of what it was about. Insane characters entering the insane minds of other insane characters. Who better to deliver the perfect soundtrack to that but Mazedude.

Whereas the source was a bit dry for me, I can enjoy this update a great deal more. Great work as always.

• 6 months later...

Never played Psychonaughts unfortunately, but I still love this track.

The tracks needs a couple of listens to get used to and understand everything that's going on (plus all the little hidden motifs), but aftereards, you realise how awesome of a track it is. This is dark, twisted, nightmarish every other demonic related word I can think of.

Great work by Mazedude.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't know which is more menacing: the many risings in the scales that pile on a sense of unease like a stack of wrestlers, or the bass piano endorsing them. Together, they bare and chomp their teeth. What's even more amusing is how the volume-tamed niches and the mainstream music quotes slip right in like they couldn't be more comfortable - the Mozart bit in particular sounds like it's saying, "here's a bright idea for you!"

If this was a Halloween mask, it would sport a sharp-toothed grin. ^WW^

• 10 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01638 - Psychonauts "Psychotic Censors"
  • 11 months later...

I just beat this game a few hours ago, and, man, I can say for sure I can certainly imagine this track being in game! Absolutely nailed the overall creppy yet wacky and zany atmosphere of Psychonauts :) The original is not something that would get stuck in my head immidiately, but Chris made it sound really nice and entertaining... yeah. The source is easily recognizable, but you've also got a plenty of new touches and some classic quirky Mazedude instrumentation! Very good job on this one!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that I learned about the game itself only thanks to this track! So yeah, huge kudos for making it, haha

Edited by Black_Doom