Question about allowed remixes

Cody Wedel

final fantasy 7 only

Sorry, but I'm afraid they're right.

ONLY Final Fantasy 7, and even then, only Aeris theme, JENOVA, and One-Winged Angel even have a chance... Not to mention a minimum of 5 World-Class opera singers, 20 25-year experienced choir singers and 200-person symphony (Oh, and pixietricks has to be part of that choir, FYI). And if you had to ask such a question, it's obvious you aren't a critically-acclaimed director, so really, you have no chance... That is... Unless I overblew an obvious joke, in which case you probably shouldn't have any trouble getting a good-quality mix accepted if it is within standards.

Yeah, if the game has been published at all it's free game, and even some that haven't been, like the homebrew mentioned above (Or that Sonic Crackers mix). The only exception is when it comes to liscenced music, like EA Trax and the like. As long as the music is specifically from the game and wasn't already borrowed, you're good. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, those are the rules game wise.

Hah, I was contemplating remixing a song from a strange japanese game called Telefang which is probably the most obscure game in existence (some know it as Pokemon Diamond and Jade when some video game piraters got hold of it and started selling an extremely poorly translated version of the games in English-speaking countries). Could I perhaps submit it despite it's obscurity if I include the original song ripped from the game?

If I were to remix a track from an obscure game, such as Taz-Mania for the SNES, if it ended up being good enough would it be possible to have it posted on the main website? Or does it have to be a remix of a generally known game to be considered?

Thanks!

No offense, but have you ever actually taken a few minutes to browse through what's available? We've got more obscure stuff than that.

Hah, I was contemplating remixing a song from a strange japanese game called Telefang which is probably the most obscure game in existence (some know it as Pokemon Diamond and Jade when some video game piraters got hold of it and started selling an extremely poorly translated version of the games in English-speaking countries). Could I perhaps submit it despite it's obscurity if I include the original song ripped from the game?

Telefang is fine: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbcolor/data/578714.html

Never hurts to provide us with the original to compare with.

Everyone should always read http://www.ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions, now easier to understand than ever.

Seriously, if the game was released for any system that people have heard of, you can go for it. By that token, anything for SNES is completely fair game. Hell, if Makke can do a doo-wop mix of an NES game most people don't know exists, a remix of a game based on an awesome cartoon from your childhood will do just fine. I mean, Mazedude did a mix of a 7-up game for Christ's sake. You're fine.