'Prayer' and presets

anosou

Yeah, but they're GOOD vocals, and they constitute an original melody that's pretty creative...

Even still, I feel that if we'd known this was a GB preset, since it was already close, it probably wouldn't have been posted. I love the melody Jill added, but I think this is a case of the standards evolving, and I don't think it would be posted today. However, it's not egregious enough to remove, either, and was spared by the last and hopefully final lockdown, if I recall correctly.

This sounds very strange to me.

"if we'd known this was a preset it wouldn't have been posted" is essentially what you're saying.

If it sounds good, does that matter?

Apparently it did sound good since none of you took it for lousy preset? ;)

That's like blaming a Reason user for using something from the Factory Soundbank. The Factory soundbank is HUGE and sounds real good. All my electric piano, clav and hammond sounds come from the free propellerhead refill that all reason owners get. All presets baby.

With all due respect, I don't understand your reasoning in this matter

This sounds very strange to me.

"if we'd known this was a preset it wouldn't have been posted" is essentially what you're saying.

If it sounds good, does that matter?

Apparently it did sound good since none of you took it for lousy preset? ;)

That's like blaming a Reason user for using something from the Factory Soundbank. The Factory soundbank is HUGE and sounds real good. All my electric piano, clav and hammond sounds come from the free propellerhead refill that all reason owners get. All presets baby.

With all due respect, I don't understand your reasoning in this matter

Preset sounds are of course totally cool, although even those CAN be overused. In this instance we're talking about a preset loop/pattern, which included the intervals in part of the accompaniment, which treads into arrangement territory, and since it was minimalist to begin with, it's problematic to have a supporting part be a loop. Not a drum loop, but an actual pattern of notes.

Preset sounds are of course totally cool, although even those CAN be overused. In this instance we're talking about a preset loop/pattern, which included the intervals in part of the accompaniment, which treads into arrangement territory, and since it was minimalist to begin with, it's problematic to have a supporting part be a loop. Not a drum loop, but an actual pattern of notes.

I actually didn't realize that the preset was a loop, I just reacted to your statement about the preset in general. I can understand that it's another matter when it comes to a vital part being a preset, melodic loop. Though I still can't really see what's wrong with it if it sounds good. It's like banning the use of Hot Pants or Amen just because it's a preset loop that's the main support in drum'n'bass. You can't critisize the arrangement of a song for using Amen as the main drum loop, can you? You could even compare it to using a 2-5-1 in Jazz-arrangements. I realize the two things I mention are standards in that particular genre of music, but doesn't that make them even more taboo and "preset"? The Amen loop is then violating the standards as much as a chiptune arrangement but I'm certain no one should object to a well-arranged song using the Amen being posted.

Okay, now I kind of lost the focus on the original remix.. I still agree that the song in question shouldn't pass if it was submitted at this time, even though it's a very minimalist source and the use of voice effects is superb. But it's not the preset melody-loop that should keep it from the site, I stand by that.