Chrono Trigger - Manoria Cathedral ReMix

Robotaki

not to jerk you around or anything but I personally thought it sounded really good with the clicks

hmm, I'll upload two versions when it comes time then I'll have one with and one without =p best for comparison. the clicks could be considered a rhythmic element?

This is some awesome work. You mix up the source quite well for a track that spans four minutes. Add in some drum improvisations to break out of the standard beat. At 3:11 is good, where the beat picks up.

Does anyone know a good *cough* (free) drum slicer that has reverse or slow down capabilities?

Use the Glitch vst, and with it you can crunch, reverse, slow down and retrigger samples, whether they're loops or played as notes. If you're using FL, it's best used together with the Fruity Slicer tool.

This is some awesome work. You mix up the source quite well for a track that spans four minutes. Add in some drum improvisations to break out of the standard beat. At 3:11 is good, where the beat picks up.

Use the Glitch vst, and with it you can crunch, reverse, slow down and retrigger samples, whether they're loops or played as notes. If you're using FL, it's best used together with the Fruity Slicer tool.

Gotcha, thanks a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dudes, still working on this and finally got an ending to it. (The link isn't updated yet unfortunately) I just wanted to ask if it's legit to add in other Chrono Trigger themes as well. I found that it's possible to link both the Schala AND the Time Circuits themes into the piece and I think it sounds half decent. It is, however, only for a few measures and wouldn't be enough to be considered a "remix" of those themes. So, yeah, thoughts?

Yo Robo, even if this doesn't get accepted here, VG: Mix ppl would cream their pants over this song. But yeah, Zircon loves your song so I think you got this shit down...wow man this is awesome. If you don't finish this song, I'm going to hunt you down, disembowel you then strangle you with your large intestine. Well, I wouldn't really do that, but I'd be upset nonetheless T_T. pweease finish this man.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I don't see what all the hype is about, this sounds way too generic. The intro is so unbelievably cliche and predictable that it ruins the rest of the song for me (which is also predictable). The chord change at 2:00 is great, but the progression, rhythm, melody all stay the same, and that annoying and repetitive drum beat starts to drive me crazy by then.

The mixing is nice, though a bit unbalanced at times, I'm sure that'll get worked out in later versions.

Overall, what this song needs is variation, because right now it's just an annoying loop.

yeah I gotta agree variation has been one of my problems, especially harmonically. I've tried to play around with the melody to fit different progressions but it's so rigidly set into my mind (specially after playing the game) that I can't find anything kinda neat with it. What I do find myself doing instead, is playing with FX to try and make something generic as interesting as possible. If I do find a new interpretation of the melody, I plan to crop out the majority of the beginning and fill it in with that instead. (Or if possible, lacing in different themes) For now, this is what I got, hope ya like it. It's edging on being too long so I'm gonna get to the cutting (and equalizing stage) now:

Chrono Trigger - Manoria Cathedral ReMix*the link in the first post is updated as well.

- I still haven't found an appropriate instrument, or one that has enough quality to be a sort of solo instrument. A large portion of the sounds I'm using right now are based on simple waveforms or soundfonts.

- snare sample might be a little loud. I think I went overboard with the volume.

This is SO GOOD dude. You have no idea. The changes are excellent. Here are some more critiques for you if you want to perfect this:

* Drums still don't seem that varied before 1:38. Duplicate the pattern and just change the kick/snare rhythm at least every so often.. maybe a fill here or there. Not the end of the world if you don't do it, but it wouldn't hurt!

* The main melody at 1:55 (I think it's played on a synth) is really quiet.. could be brought out more and/or doubled, the new harmonies sound great though.

* Your overall EQ balance sounds good. I really wouldn't change it. You could probably get away with a little additional compression/maximization overall but I don't think you *need* to.

* I liked what you had before at 3:50; the chopping of the sines seemed more 'up front'.

* By 4:34 I feel like you COULD be going into your ending, eg. fading out the drums and other parts and maybe bringing in a soft choir + electric piano ending, or something like that. A lot of your new instruments are cool, but could be applied earlier. Likewise, the drum variation is great here... use that earlier in the 1minute (or more) spans where the drums are simply looped?

* 5:47 is really cool, as is 6:07. I LOVE this stuff. It's more interesting than the preceding section; maybe consider cutting the previous section, using those parts in other parts of the song, but keeping this.

Overall, definitely an improvement in general. Wonderful stuff. PLEASE keep at it.

• 9 months later...

Regardless of whether this mix is ever finished, the latest version will always be in my play list unless an update comes along. I do wonder what an updated officially final version would sound like though.

I think what is even more amazing is Robo's age. He's only 16, which means if he keeps going at music he's going to be something else by the time he's in his early 20's. I love seeing young people excel at music; just gives you more to look forward to in the future :)!

This is great stuff. I don't know what you could add to this or if you'd actually want to.

I heard it for the first time a few minutes ago, but it looks like this project has been going on for quite a while. I'd say it was worth it, because I instantly loved it.

Submit this!