Chrono Trigger - Manoria Cathedral ReMix

Robotaki

Haha I can't believe this thing got bumped after a couple of months. But since exams just finished yesterday, I had 1 night and 1 morning of the break to work on this a little bit. I hope I changed things for the better. The drums were the main focus on this update, mainly because they were a lacking the oooooomph! Added a new harmonic section that I thought sounded kinda neat. Hope you guys like the changes ^^ Happy Friggin Holidays, so happy exams are over.

- Hemophiliac helpfully on mIRC just pointed out some rough transitions that need smoothing out around 4:30 so I'll get on to those asap.

- Sorry for not encoding the whole track, I fouled up.

LINK:

Chrono Trigger - Manoria Cathedral ReMix NEW

* Link is also on first post

Well if it was good before, it's REALLY GOOD now. Wow, I'm so happy you went back to this, the new drums sound great, and I liked what you were doing towards the end as hell bringing the main tune back in a different way. Course it still cuts off but I'm sure you'll come up with a great outro soon!

Thanks for the comments guys. :) One thing I'm sort of having an issue with is keeping this within the site's guidelines for file size. Encoding it at 128 kbps doesn't quite cut it either. I'll try variable encoding tomorrow. If worse comes to worse I'll cut out repetitive sections. (I'd really like the cathedral organs I've put in here to come out more since they're pretty much unnoticeable right now. They show up at 4:48 and 6:43 with a lot of stereo separation.) Anyway, thanks again! This track'll probably be my first submission to the panel when it's all set, and you guys have really helped.

Try both the variable bit rate and average bit rate algorithms for encoding, I used Audacity 1.3.6 and I was able to cut mine down to 5.9MB using the ABR (average bit rate) at 128 kb/s.

I agree on cutting the repetitive sections, that's the main issue I am having with it. The middle seems to go on and on, while the intro and ending are great. I think it would be a good idea to cut some stuff in the middle out anyway. And definitely bring out those church organs.

• 1 month later...

Yeah my only concern was what you already brought up - cutting down the file size. I didn't really mind the repetition, but then I was also doing some other things while listening to the track on repeat. It flows very well, and I didn't really catch anything that bothered me or felt "wrong".

Although I would probably take people's advice and cut a bit outta the middle, just to bring down the overall file size without having to sacrifice too much quality.

The production quality on this is awesome (from my perspective anyway). What are you using for drums, if you don't mind me asking? I can never get drums to sound that.. full and fluid, yeah, that's a good way to describe it.

Also quite impressive that you were able to take such brief source material and turn it into something that long that doesn't get boring.

Wow, this is great so far. I'm new to the forums, and this is one the first WIPs I've listened to. Maybe I shouldn't let this set the standard for future ones, or I may be disappointed. :wink: Nice work. If I hadn't heard this, I don't think I could've seen how this could possibly be remixed well, especially in the genre you've used.

So I heard this chrono trigger mix and I...

JIZZED IN MY PANTS

All SNL references aside, this kicks some serious ass. Your mixing is spot on, your orchestra samples are the right blend of synthetic and real, and your drums are dope. So dope.

Holy hell I haven't heard drums like that since I first listened to Marc Star's Metroid Remix...

One thing, there is a LOT of reverb going around - I know you need to fill up the soundscape with your samples, but try using a delay on some instruments instead of reverb to fill it up. It adds the depth, but not the mud.

Regardless; seal of approval, right here. FINISH THIS!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
no. it isn't.

I cried.

What do you mean. Is this not gonna be submitted? I actually just listened to this for the first time today and I am so lovin this lol xD. This is a very clean cut mix I really don't have anything to critique since this is better than anything I can produce right now it just sounds like this won't be finished which is very unfortunate because this is an amazing piece right now and I get a sense of emotion from this piece even with the gritty beat in the background, please finish this lol.

Edited by BlackPanther

oh geez, major apologies for letting this die. I whole bunch of things happened as of lately: lost soundfonts and samples, switched music computers, other wips which also died on these forums because of my laziness heh, gf problems (gah). I will finish this for sure, and definitely plan to make his my first submission to the site (hopefully first acceptance lol). listening to it after a long long time made it clear to me that a lot of things need to be cut and such. production could use a bit of tweaking. again, sorry.

Edited by Robotaki