OCR00066 - King of Fighters '98 "Ghetto Recursive"

King of Fighters '98 'Ghetto Recursive'

For some odd reason there are individuals who think the sound of records scratching is cool. Whatever. The record scratches here are obviously synthetic and NOT real vinyl being scratched. The music underneath the scratches is pretty good, though far from brilliant. I think it does capture the attitude of KoF, though. I would probably like this mix a lot more if it didn't have the non-stop scratches.

Note: When reading the next paragraph it is VITAL that you imagine me wearing a snow cap in the hot summer, baggy clothes, lots of chains hanging everywhere, a frown indicating that I am a bad boy and my arms out with both hands pointing at each other with two fingers and the thumb up in the shape of a gun. Got it? OK now read:

yo yo if u b ghetto yo and b down wif da homiez den u need dis remix aight. dis mix ain't fo no proper english speakin foos yo. if u normally talk like dis den u pass da test. git da remix now yo. word.

• 2 months later...

The best thing since spaghetti

No amount of metamucil could make this shit slicker. It's cool as a cucumber.

But seriously, all idiot phrases aside, I love this remix. Me and 'Ghetto Recursive' go back a long way. Let us step into my trusty time machine and go back say, ten months. As we step out of the time machine we see a young man, mouth agape, listening attentively at what beautiful sound is coming out of his speakers. That young man was me. The song... none other than 'Ghetto Recursive'. A few minutes prior, I had stumbled upon another gem, 'Lord Protektor' and was mesmerized by it too. A link in the summary of said song sent me to the song I now review.

At the time I could'nt quite put my finger on what made me enjoy the song so much. I listened again and again but I could'nt figure it out... and til this day I still can't.

Let us hop into the time machine and venture forward, to the present.

All and all, this track was very well put together. I am really no expert on hip hop or even music for that matter, but contrary to what others have said, I think the scratches fit in quite nicely. Under the scratches, the music was very good; it definitely had an east asian feel. Throughout the whole song, I had a picture in my mind of Joe and the Bogart Bros. waiting on those docks... warming up, preparing for the upcoming match, sun rising on the horizon.

Personally I think this track rocks and therefore recommend it to anyone who would come across this site for some good quality VG remixes, just as i did ten months ago. That 'recommend' would be promoted to 'highly recommend' if you listened to DJP's Lord Protektor and found yourself nodding your head.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's COOL?! RECORDS BEING SCRATCHED! *ticks people off* HAHAHA! :lol:

No, but seriously. This is a good remix, but it's not great. I like the way DJP did this one, but I still can't get over the off-beat-thingy to this song. The scracthes are a tad overused, but all in all, a good mix. Nice for your ever-expanding collection. Still doesn't compare to DJP's "ElasticNewYear". ^^

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Dis song be off da heezey fo' sheezy yo! Umm now that that's over and done with. I really liked this song. Loved the scratching, nice touch! Never actually played the game, but this was one awesome set although it was a bit on the short side, but I don't mind replaying it over and over again. Love the ghetto-style feel, almost makes me want to break out my turntables and booty dance for the rest of the night. Hmm.. Not a bad idea.

• 5 months later...

The scratches are too soft, muffled and not... not.... sharp enough for this track. The scratching sounds like pulling a bullroar through the wind... it sounds quite cheap.

However, this way it is orchestrated could have possibly a nice crisp hiphop drums going on here, but it wasn't carried through. Mostly due to the fact that the scratching did hamper the potential of the drums. The synths were well chosen and actually pleasant to listen to, like that often heard in French hiphop (which pwns the English/Ebonic variation.)

• 9 months later...

Provided there's ever a KOF film adaptation djp feels proud to put his name to (given past instances of game movies, I bet we will be waiting a while...), this is undoubtedly the end credit track. Stylish and a little *too* manufactured, just like the 'street brawls' in KOF, heh. Very slick.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

You know, I've never actually played this game, but this remix is infinitely likable. I heard this on VGDJ, and I knew I just had to get it. Up until VGDJ, I only downloaded mixes from games I knew fairly well.

This mix shows me that maybe I need to get a little more adventurous. :o

• 8 months later...

This is definitely one of my favorite remixes. I've been a SNK/KOF fan for years and this has to be one of the coolest SNK remixes out there. People seem to have a problem with the scratches, I can't tell the difference, it all sounds good to me. The beat, just the overall feel, man it really sounds great. I couldn't say enough about how good this mix is, thanks DJP for this slick remix.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Another of djpretzel's onslaught of crazy mixes during OCR's infancy, only this one is a big step up, I think.

Simply, it's just a very compelling piece of instrumental hip-hop. There is maybe too much scratching crammed into it, especially since this is a downhill ride all the way, but besides that, this is one of the the earliest power pieces on the site. It's the perfect length, and is busting with suave energy. I'm practically in love with this mix, which is even more surprising when you check out how old and dusty it really is.

• 9 months later...

Since I got this from the torrents for the first 1000 some-odd ReMixes, I am unfamiliar with the source material, but still went "Woah. Another unexpected style for a ReMix. And this one's GOOD. " :dstrbd: I would not expect this sort of thing to come from djp, who I know for his jazz-ish elec-piano skills and percussion. This most definitely gives a ghetto feel. 8-) The percussion is there, but the jazz-ish stuff? :?: Oh, there it is: out the window picking itself up off the ground. Awesome mix. :-P

• 7 months later...
Holy lord.

God bless El Pollo Loco for inspiring this awful video for their contest. :-D

What the hell? LOL. I was listening to this song thinking what it would sound like with rapping over it...only to find this :mrgreen:

I think this is one of the overlooked remixes among DJP's catalogue and OCR's early history. It sounds unlike anything else on this site produced during that era, and I think it's secretly one of the best hip hop songs here. Great dynamics in this one.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The record scratch overload is pretty endearing actually, you really don't hear any songs like this let alone ReMixes. Gotta love a strange and unique approach. I think taking risks should be encouraged whether it works or not (to an extent) but I think this is successful. It also helps that it's pretty compact and doesn't overstay its welcome. I wish there was more of an ending but that might just make this loop better? This feels like it'd be a very good track to loop, as a menu or as a..... backing track for the Flame Grill Chicken Rap? I mean okay

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00066 - King of Fighters '98 "Ghetto Recursive"