OCR01641 - Chrono Chross "Who Stole My Stars"

djpretzel

I've always thought this was an extremely difficult track to remix, because the original was so good already, and fit so well in it's own style without any changes. I have definitely heard a few mixes of this which utterly failed to do justice to the original. This, however, is not one of them; this is quite good.

Props.

This is definitely a very interesting arrangment. Very dynamic, very moving; particularly nice piano work. Good direction, good overall sound. I didnt like how the beats were mixed though.....there were parts that were better than others, but the filtering effects seemed kinda out of place and the beatwork was really bare/exposed at some areas. Everything else was really on point for me, but the beats were a bit disconcerting.

Good stuffs for sure. I think the percussion makes it for me, especially the stuff near the beginning (0:48-1:05). The little percussive additions really bring life to what could have *cough cough* been a bland drum track. One good example is that cool whip-like sound that's all over the place (e.g. 0:33,0:41,...).

Oh, and the breakdown at 1:38-1:54...scrumtrulescent

When I saw the title it was obvious what Diggi had remixed. And since it had the word Chrono in it, it normally would have been a no-brainer. However, in addition, I was listening to Diggi's Marble Zone mix at the time. It was fate. I had no choice but to like this mix! Even so, I was curious as to how Diggi would remix this track. The original was that good, after all. But sure enough he did so effectively. Very cool...keep the Chrono coming =)

Alright, fine. Bland and uninteresting was a bad comment. I'll try to be more specific:

The beat is pretty normal, though the rest is semi-interesting. The choir sample really brought the mix down a level. It just sounds like a group of guys singing indistinct stuff in a disconnected manner. In fact, my biggest complaint is about the choir sample - it should not have been used at all.

If not for that, this piece would be much better. The drums still need to be more interesting, and though the choir ruins this piece for me, it's certainly not BAD as a whole.

There. Sorry for being a brash jerk/idiot in my earlier post.

Awesome take on the theme...

It's not the most interpretive, but what it concentrates on is just really damn cool. You really spice up a song that is such a standalone... Enjoyed all of the nuances with the percussion and synth/bass etc.

BTW: I love your rhodes, holy shit SO SO SO nice... I could have gone for like, 3 more minutes of just that, seriously.

So, I've had this on constant loop for like half an hour and I'm saying to myself "should I be getting tired of this song by now?"

Well, clearly it hasn't bothered me enough to cause me to hit stop yet. I guess this would be classified under easy listeng (w/ bombastic drums.) Good stuff.

I suppose after having listened to this for like half an hour, I should have an in depth review ready, well not exactly. I love the panning on the synth instruments, though. The digitized voices are decent, but I like the phazer instrument at 1:50 a lot more. Also, the connecting measures between verses are pretty seamless. I like how with the reverb, you almost made turned the piano into ambiance (2:30-end.)

I enjoyed it! Strong composition, characteristic of all the apsects we love in Diggi's music. My only criticism is that the percussion could have been EQ'd a little lower (in pitch, not volume) on the sonic spectrum; it competes, my good Diggi, with other voices when it could be flattering them. This is especially important when we have drum programming as intricate as we have here. That said, I'll note that the synthetic imitation of a guitar being played in reverse was an especially delightful surprise in the coda.

Glad to see our European friend back in the saddle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01641 - Chrono Chross "Who Stole My Stars"