Jay-Z song uses Chrono Trigger sample? **FALSE - MYTHBUSTED**

chrono26

d00d. wtf. I know we've had rap mixes here before, but...phuck. I'm kinda torn between 'Neat!' and 'That fucker!'

Hmmm...maybe this is the first. I mean, they're probably running out of new material by now. All they've got left is to take old melodies and change out a few of the notes, I hear it all the time.

Whereas, video game melodies are practically untouched out there in mainstream. A whole new world of new themes that they haven't sampled. Pretty soon we'll be hearing Mario on the rap stations. God help us.

The difference is that this is SAMPLED

SAMPLED

TIMBA STOLE

JAY-Z SAMPLED

Before you guys get your OMG WTF flags flyin, get facts straight.

Jay-Z is a genius. He knows better than to steal something. This is just him and DJ Toomp sampling. He more than likely got some sort of rights from Square anyways, and if he didn't, I have confidence in him giving a nod to Square about it.

Awesome.

Good.

Less Jay-Z hate/speculation, more Timbaland hate.

EDIT: And ya, I got my terms wrong, but I was still in the right direction.

Sampling-direct usage of a part of a song in another song.

What he did wasn't sampling. As I said in IRC to Bahamut, it is just a minor part of the song anyways looped over and over. I personally really like the song. This is going to be an interesting one once more people hear it. Let's just hope people don't all of a sudden hate on Jay-Z because they think he is pulling a Timbaland.

i just read an interview with toomp about the song

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=15832

he doesnt mention anything about CT. i guess its not a sample after all. someone is spreading dirty internet lies. still says that it "samples yasunori mitsuda" on the wikipedia. it would've been cool if they did sample or interpolate some VG music though.

Yeah, it's the exact same chord progression and the string parts GREATLY resemble the ones from Chrono Trigger. HOWEVER, since the progression is only TWO CHORDS LONG, and the number of possible two-chord prgressions that can exist in our current music theory is EXTREMELY finite, I don't think it can really be copyrighted. But yeah, it's totally possible that the writer of the music got the idea from Chrono Trigger. And that makes it cool. ^_^

the string instrument does sound "SNES-ish," and the melody has that additional characteristic quick descent of the lead in Secret of the Forest.

These are the only similarities I can hear.

Also, the YouTube commenters are going on and on about Chrono Trigger sampling (" Luv dis track. It crazy he got dis beat from a video game call Chrono Trigger. Like I said I luv it"), and YouTube commenters are always wrong.

if this has been posted before then my bad, but this is crazy....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTdBdWoMDkg

thats one of the songs from jay-z's new album. produced by DJ Toomp who has done tracks for some of the biggest hip-hop artists in recent years. the song samples "Secret of the Forest" from chrono trigger.....wow. any thoughts?

There's a reggeaton song out there somewhere that pretty much jacks the entire Super Mario Bros. theme.