Jay-Z song uses Chrono Trigger sample? **FALSE - MYTHBUSTED**

chrono26

its already been established that its not a sample or interpolation of chrono trigger so can everyone stop trying to act like they're smarter than everyone here by figuring that out. and this isnt a "ZMOG HOW DARE THEY USE GAME MUSIC!" thing. who cares, why would you be mad about that anyway? the song samples tom brock, not CT, my bad, dont trust wikipedia. good song regardless.

I agree that it's definitely not sampled, but I can easily see how someone could think that.

The string bit that sounds like CT is from a song called "The Love We Share Is The Greatest Of Them All" by Tom Brock (released in 1974). The pitch is altered, and some bits are edited, but apart from that it's the same.

So yeah, mythbusted.

EDIT: Here's a sample of each, for comparison purposes:

http://jmr.sitesled.com/tb-jz-comparison.mp3

First 20 seconds are from the Tom Brock song, the last 20 seconds are from "Say Hello"

However I think I heard him sample Toto's "Africa" on the radio tonite.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm trying to find it on the net but no luck.

This makes me very sad. One of my fav songs...

these songs sample africa. not sure about Jay-Z

Nas - "New World".

Ja Rule - "Murder Reigns".

Xzibit - "Heart of Man".

JoJo - "Anything".

The Youtube comments are making me LOL to no end. Yay for actually typing out hip hop slang, I honestly cannot stop laughing at this stuff.

Indeed. The phrase Chrono N****r will be etched in my mind as ineffably hilarious. It's right up there with this guy on XboxLive during the halo3 beta who's tag was Incognegro.

Hey, I kinda like that song. And I can hear the similarities... but only cause I was looking for them. But definitely not the same. But if you wanted to go on about songs that have similar chord progressions/runs in them, I can think of loads of them...

Sorry if this has been said or if this is too easy to argue against, but I want to put in my two cents.

I can hear a similarity, and though a different background may have suited it a bit better, but after so many songs have been made, what portion of any music doesn't sound similar to another song, however original it is? Hell, if I were to try to make an original song right now, about or to the theme of anything, I bet there'd be at least a small group of people who'd claim I was ripping SOMETHING off or taking liberties with something to the point where they think I should give some recognition to the song they are referencing. We could probably take every song on this site and say its ripping off a part of some other song (not the song that is being remixed), be it how the background of the song is arranged, or how a certain segment sounds suspiciously like another song... You get the idea.

However, as I said before, the part you are saying is being sampled doesn't seem to fit the song, really, and another arrangement could easily have been better, but this doesn't necessarily mean it is sampled intentionally or inspired by/from it.

I don't know if people know this, but people have been sampling in music for a very long time now. In fact, there was even a car commercial at one point that sampled a track out of a Chrono Cross song. Sampling can also be heard all the time in Electronic music. In any case, it happens a lot and is legal if you use only a certain amount of time. If you take a song outright that is copyright infringement, but sampling is perfectly okay. Stealing is not.

With that said, the music in CT is still MUSIC, so why can't it be sampled. Whether it was or wasn't either, it's not like he stole anything. He took like a 5 second segment and looped it. That is perfectly legal and with the other beats he worked in, not CT related, it really sounds good imo.

I don't know if people know this, but people have been sampling in music for a very long time now. In fact, there was even a car commercial at one point that sampled a track out of a Chrono Cross song. Sampling can also be heard all the time in Electronic music. In any case, it happens a lot and is legal if you use only a certain amount of time. If you take a song outright that is copyright infringement, but sampling is perfectly okay. Stealing is not.

that is the stupidest thing that i've ever heard. you should check your facts.

anyway, the album came out today and its very good. i recommend it, CT sample or not :-)