Secret of Evermore - Fire Eyes

Meteo Xavier

I'm trying another one. In this case, I'm trying to imagine Elizabeth's (Fire Eyes) little motif as a sad piano song with atmospherics and flutes to keep in line with Jeremy Soule's overall soundtrack. Basically, the image I'm trying to sonically portray is Elizabeth, still a child trapped in a dangerous surreal world beyond her control, sitting alone in her hut some night with a storm brewing outside, and wondering if she'll ever get home.

I'm really proud of this up until it gets to about 1:30 or so, and then I'm not sure it sounds really good. The song itself is only about 1:50 because I really don't know what else to do to it (I do have some ideas but it doesn't seem to be working out naturally) and I don't have and can't find anything that really sounds like it so I know what to do.

Here is the WIP:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1171972

I wish I didn't forget this game's over all sound track. I ought to play it again.

The piano sample is very good :), the strings are awesome and I like that forest flute (i think that's what it is =/); the soundscape is filled sufficiently; my only gripe is that it needs to pick up a bit more (In my opinion. Good stuff dude, keep it up :D

AND WOAH Jeremy Soul did this!!! No wonder it sounds familiar to Guild Wars' sound track, if only vaguely. That composer is damn good :D

Oh it definitely needs to pick up, I just haven't found a way to really do it and have it work yet. The only things I have to go on are somewhat empirical sounding jungle drums and some angry flute and drone bits, but I feel if I take it in that direction it will chastise the overall goal of the song. if I had some stuff that sounded like this I'd have a better idea what to do, right now, I'm just fucking around in the dark.

haha oh crap, this is EXACTLY, and I'm telling you, the EXACT same direction I was going for in my WIP for this source tune. really great original. I think you already realize that there needs to be a bit more variation, and maybe interpretation. Other than that, it's a very good start, and I don't find anything particularly jarring with the EQing. I put out a thank you for giving me the energy to start on my own remix. thnx bud!

you know, sometimes I just randomly mess around with the piano roll for an hour or two until I come up with a cool riff. Try varying it, slowly make it pick up into a down-tempo kind of drum n synth beat or something of the like. Maybe make it INTENSE orchestration, transition it to a chiptune I dunno, there's hundreds of things u could do, perhaps thousands :P

I agree that it is good up until a point when it becomes very repetitve. I would say that you need to take it up a notch, with a heavier beat or mellower with more enphasis on strings.

You could be more specific? Like at what point does it get too repetitive (1:28 or such)? What exactly does one mean, in this context by "interpreting" it further? Is there any examples I could look at?

I'm actually not using any strings just yet in that WIP, and I'm trying to refrain from using heavy beats and a lot of jungle influence, I'm not trying to make it sound angry or put too much emphasis on the jungle aspect, I'm focusing more on making it dark and kinda melancholy.

btw, you guys are doing a great job and I really appreciate it.

about 1:37 is where I really lose insterest,

...like all interest, so somwhere around there I would change it up with either an introduction of a new melody, instrument or add an effect that adds to the feeling, like some quite wind chimes, that more twinkle than play a melody, and back that up with some different chords on the piano.

about 1:37 is where I really lose insterest,

...like all interest, so somwhere around there I would change it up with either an introduction of a new melody, instrument or add an effect that adds to the feeling, like some quite wind chimes, that more twinkle than play a melody, and back that up with some different chords on the piano.

That sounds about right - and I've been working on that, but I haven't found the right chords or keys to work in just yet. If I had some similar examples I'd get a better idea what to do.

Also, I'd still like to know what "interpretation" means in this context so I can fix it properly.

Just a fancy word for "remix", my boy ;) Less source, more you.

Maybe you could break things up by adding a real minimalist beat at the second verse, taking out all the ambiance for a few measures and leaving just that and the melody. Then slowly build back up to a full soundscape.

Ahh, NOW we're getting somewhere! :D

I've been experimenting with doing that but it's not worked out well just yet. Lately I've been taking it in more of a direction like the rest of SOE's soundtrack, slow difficult drones for ambience and minimal jungle sounds. The biggest problem is finding something that sounds like this so I know what I should be doing to fix it. I wish I could find my copy of Peter Gabriel's PASSION.

I'm fixing it, its just taking a while to do so.

Thanks again!