OCR01642 - Super Mario RPG "Leafcutter"

djpretzel

This is excellant. That point at 3'00", right when that synth bass creeps back over the string jabs... oh man. I fell in love. The whole thing feels alive. It's always shifting and it's never repetitive or boring. The subliminal voice sample also add a lot of (lol) subtle depth.

I'm gonna be listening to this one for a while... I wish it were about three times as long, cause that was about the quickest 4 minutes I've blown through in quite a while!

Here's hoping we hear more from Radiowar!

Awesome awesome awesome. I'm a sucker for tricked out drum work, and this is chocked full of it. And this is almost like two excellent songs in one! The first half is a really clean DnB minimalist take on the source, which I love. The second half is just as cool with a busy but still well defined soundspace.

Those crashes that get cutout around the 2:56 mark are really sweet.

Tres nice Radiowar.

Can anyone tell me what theme he remixed, though? The song's amazing, but I certainly don't hear anything particularly recognizable. I'm not complaining, however!

You know after you kill the giant sword, and go into the factory dimension in smithies world?

It's that theme, and fairly clear from about 26 seconds on.

Oh and, the songs very fun :D

Totally kickass, this was one of my favorite themes from SMRPG (Second only to the Forest Theme). It was kinda hard to recognize the source near the beginning, but I could hear it, and around the second movement of the song, it was instantly recognizable.

Cool remix, cool drums, cool time signature, I can't really complain about anything here.

I'm definitely saving this. Great work!

Totally kickass, this was one of my favorite themes from SMRPG (Second only to the Forest Theme). It was kinda hard to recognize the source near the beginning, but I could hear it, and around the second movement of the song, it was instantly recognizable.

Cool remix, cool drums, cool time signature, I can't really complain about anything here.

I'm definitely saving this. Great work!

BTW WHICH theme is this?? Please forgive my newbness, but I forget which song this remix is for :-0

First two and a half minutes are a lot more drawn out than they need to be. Just get to the point.

The next section is brilliant. Impressive job of mixing a very difficult source in an extremely difficult time signature.

Cool sliced voices at the end, but why only at the end? Why bring in an idea like that in the last ten seconds of the mix, and not expand on it at all?

Overall, this mix seems like a montage of ideas. Mostly very good ideas, yes, but it's still a montage.

BTW WHICH theme is this?? Please forgive my newbness, but I forget which song this remix is for :-0

This is the song that plays when you're in Smithy's factory, right at the end of the game. If it helps, I think the area was mostly gray.

Also, I just listened to this with headphones and it was like a totally different experience. I picked up on so many subtle things like the panning with the drums, and some cool stuttering effects.

Sweet!

I remember getting the WIP of this a long time back and loving it! This was always one of my favorite tracks from SMRPG (because of its intriguing time signature and interesting melody) and you've definitely done it proud. This is awesome, all around.

Seriously, fantastic. And I don't review/comment often.

That said, I do wish the guitar wouldn't continually drop out and come back in the middle portion (only because while it's out it leaves it feeling a bit empty) but the guitar itself sounds great. Also the bass in the beginning part is just a bit weak. However, excellent arrangement of a very tough song. Not many songs are this tough - one of the only others I can think of would be like, maybe the final level theme from Wario Land II that Maxo remixed recently.

Anyway, congrats on the post, and nice pick for remixing - I ALWAYS love more SMRPG.

First two and a half minutes are a lot more drawn out than they need to be. Just get to the point.

The next section is brilliant. Impressive job of mixing a very difficult source in an extremely difficult time signature.

Cool sliced voices at the end, but why only at the end? Why bring in an idea like that in the last ten seconds of the mix, and not expand on it at all?

Overall, this mix seems like a montage of ideas. Mostly very good ideas, yes, but it's still a montage.

I agree with Taucer's comment towards the sliced vocals. I thought they introduced a whole new sort of ambience and surrealism to the piece. Just for me, I did find the almost entirely new section at 2:28 slightly jarring relative to the beginning. Very intricate drum working, and I'm very impressed with this. Effective use of panning as well. I would have really liked to hear a distinct, but reasonably ambient (reverberated) piano playing chords as opposed to arpeggios as well at some point. This, however, is just an opinion. It's nice and refreshing to hear something new posted to the site! Good work!

Congrats alex.........h. Good to see a nice blend of creative ideas and theory in one mix. The first did seem to drag just a lil but that's Boards of Canada for you. Maybe with the vocies in the first half it would have really made this completely wicked. Really enjoyed the 2nd half. Always happy to see creative ideas take form and pay off. Now where's those minimalist piano pieces! :)

I was also a huge fan of the WIP version. So I'm glad that Radiowar continued to work on this track.

After listening to the final version, the only thing I miss about the WIP version (v5) is its overall mellowness and the mechanical scratching noise in the background. The drums in the WIP version, while not as evident as in the final version, were a lot cooler and gave a much better vibe. Nonetheless, the final version manages to have a much stronger composition in the end. The crescendo-decrescendo style of the track's tempo is brilliant. The mid-track build-up is a lot cooler than the WIP version with the awesome violin and electronic sounds. I also loved the guitar and voice samples towards the end.

Congrats, Radiowar. :)

This is the song that plays when you're in Smithy's factory, right at the end of the game. If it helps, I think the area was mostly gray.

Also, I just listened to this with headphones and it was like a totally different experience. I picked up on so many subtle things like the panning with the drums, and some cool stuttering effects.

thanks about :D, btw check out my new schala remix, it's much better now ^^

Congrats! Though I really can't say I liked this mix... at first. As soon as the strings and that buzzing bass come in at 2:28, however, it's awesome. I understand you must have gone through a lot of crap programming those drums, but they felt weak somehow. I guess I'll have to agree with Liontamer there - but not on the rest of what he said!

Wow, this really developed a lot from the WIP version I remember. Your drum sequencing is absolutely amazing....I also really liked the atmosphere set by the pads, I think the first half of the song really allowed me to appreciate its subtle modulations/effects. Nice all around : )

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01642 - Super Mario RPG "Leafcutter"