Rock Band

RealFolkBlues

That's sort of generic for the metal choices though - these developers are ignoring the popularity of the worldwide metal scene and the metal bands that are at the heart of that popularity.

Kind of. I would say it's more iconic. Metallica and Black Sabbath have songs that have broken into the mainstream, despite being solid metal in and of themselves. Even stuff like Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold are probably not going to have the staying power that warrants an album download.

Likewise, as much as I love the monsters of metal out there, I don't think Rock Band can support stuff like Amon Amarth and In Flames. See the previous comments about double bass. Add to that the various other problems (vocals=ouch for most people,) and as badass as it would be, that kind of stuff probably isn't coming real soon.

That having been said, please don't ban me, Wes. :wink:

I like this game. I played the demo yesterday at Bestbuy and I made an impromptu duo with this random guy. I was drums and he was guitar. He was a much better player than I was (He was getting 97% in expert, while I was getting 94% on medium,) but it really felt like we were working together towards a common goal.

The visuals are pretty nice. The actual guitar/ drum interface kind of reminded me of Frequency's. My drum part wasn't amazingly exciting, but it was challenging at parts.

Havin a blast so far.

Two concerns:

The fill sections on the drum part are disappointing, with a noticeable pause between when you hit the drum to when the sound is made. Because of that, an actual rhythmic and musical fill is impossible, and those sections can really kill the flow of the song. The only solution I've found is just beating the drums as fast as possible, giving you a chaotic roll through that section. Doesn't sound horrible but I was hoping to learn how to do some real fills. Maybe a patch will come to solve that...

Second thing, the GH3 controller isn't compatible, and that's fucking bullshit!!! I really thought it would be based on what I read leading up to the release. Since the two companies won't cooperate (why would they) we will be forced to buy yet another guitar controller to get the full rock band experience...

... that being the case, anyone know the best guitar that works with rock band out there? (ps3) I'm not crazy about the first party one that comes with the game, I want one like the GH3 model.

The fill sections on the drum part are disappointing, with a noticeable pause between when you hit the drum to when the sound is made. Because of that, an actual rhythmic and musical fill is impossible, and those sections can really kill the flow of the song. The only solution I've found is just beating the drums as fast as possible, giving you a chaotic roll through that section. Doesn't sound horrible but I was hoping to learn how to do some real fills. Maybe a patch will come to solve that...

That's strange. I didn't notice any delay on the demo they had in Best Buy. That sucks if there is one. I'll bet that will be patched.

Second thing, the GH3 controller isn't compatible, and that's fucking bullshit!!! I really thought it would be based on what I read leading up to the release.

Yeah, me too. That's a motherfucker. As I said in my first post, the new strum bar is kind of lamish, and that's pretty frickin' important. Granted, the solo buttons and effects switch are sweet, but I'd rather have tight main controls, especially since Rock Band is at best as forgiving as Guitar Hero 2. Still, I'm anxious to start digging into this one.

Havin a blast so far.

Two concerns:

Second thing, the GH3 controller isn't compatible, and that's fucking bullshit!!! I really thought it would be based on what I read leading up to the release. Since the two companies won't cooperate (why would they) we will be forced to buy yet another guitar controller to get the full rock band experience...

... that being the case, anyone know the best guitar that works with rock band out there? (ps3) I'm not crazy about the first party one that comes with the game, I want one like the GH3 model.

There shouldn't be a delay - there isn't for me. Do you have an HDTV? You might need to adjust for the lag. There's a tool for that in the options on Rock Band. I'm playing on an SDTV and it is tight as...butter.?

I like this first party controller actually. I'm getting used to the strum bar mushy, but its nice it doesn't make that clickly clicky sound - you hear more the guitar notes you are playing rather than platicy click sounds, so you feel more like you're making the music. I like the frets a lot better too. It's easier to move around and whatnot.

Drums are fun as hell. I'm trying to figure out the best way to sit my foot on the pedal though. I can't decide if I should be putting it far forward and lifting my leg then letting go to push down on the pedal, or if I should situate my foot back a bit and rotate my foot at the heel to push it down. The muscles on the top of my foot get tired doing the latter, but the former I have trouble doing fast consecutive kicks. Tips? What's proper posture for drum set playing? :)

There shouldn't be a delay - there isn't for me. Do you have an HDTV? You might need to adjust for the lag. There's a tool for that in the options on Rock Band. I'm playing on an SDTV and it is tight as...butter.?

I like this first party controller actually. I'm getting used to the strum bar mushy, but its nice it doesn't make that clickly clicky sound - you hear more the guitar notes you are playing rather than platicy click sounds, so you feel more like you're making the music. I like the frets a lot better too. It's easier to move around and whatnot.

Drums are fun as hell. I'm trying to figure out the best way to sit my foot on the pedal though. I can't decide if I should be putting it far forward and lifting my leg then letting go to push down on the pedal, or if I should situate my foot back a bit and rotate my foot at the heel to push it down. The muscles on the top of my foot get tired doing the latter, but the former I have trouble doing fast consecutive kicks. Tips? What's proper posture for drum set playing? :)

I did calibrate the lag, and everything else is nice and tight. But when a solo starts, I hit a drum and there is a definite pause before the sound comes through. I'm finding ways to play ok solos anyways...

Also, since this is a sound dilemma video lag wouldn't be the issue anyways...

I had a lot of percussion but minimal drum set experience in the past, but i'm pretty sure you should rest your heel on the pedal and push with your toes, the double taps involve pressing the first one with the toes then using a bit of leg to get a rebound strike (sorry if that made no sense).

My foot/ankle gets tired too because I'm out of practice. You will get past that.

I played it last night. For twelve hours, nearly straight. I started out on drums (on easy nearly the whole time), then moved off and swapped between guitar and bass the rest of the night, since I'm the second best GH player in our group. Unfortunately, our best guitarist found that he was also the best drummer (which was a position more sorely lacking in skill), so I ended up taking guitar most of the time and doing a mediocre job.

Things I've learned about Rock Band:

• most everyone sucks at drums
  • deleting the band accidentally makes for some great band drama
  • singing is more forgiving than you'll expect
  • knowing the lyrics is just as (if not more) important than knowing how to sing
  • Bon Jovi is a blast to play
  • how to use a bass drum pedal (if anyone is hurting their ankle, try leaving it depressed when not playing, but just doing a quick up and down for hits)
  • This game can and will steal your life if you let it

I have only two sticking points:

1.) band/member management sucks ass. Having to use four weirdly operated controllers to navigate the most convoluted profile system ever gave me a headache when we were touring. Band profiles are tied to 360 profiles, which each contain band members. It doesn't make sense sometimes. Case in point: Having a blast, we needed to pack up and move locations. We piled into cars, each carrying undersized plastic instruments (which must have looked odd to a passerby), and set up shop again. However, after logging in four people on four 360 profiles (a chore in itself), it appeared that some of our characters were missing. Either the game had decided to ignore seven hours of the character's life, or there was some sort of profile mix-up. Either way, in the hubbub, I accidentally deleted the band leader, making our band poof away. Band drama followed.

2.) Rock Band will make you play the same songs. A lot. If you're planning on doing the main full-band multiplayer career (which is what you should be getting the game for), be prepared to see a lot of the same songs. I must've played Say It Ain't So and In Bloom half a million times. Not sure what the deal was, but it got grating. The upside is that you'll probably see these songs from the perspective of four different instruments, so there's a a lot more replay value here than in GHs of yore.

Also, minor quibble: RB rewards you with money, fans, and stars. "Fans" is the most frustrating component of the equation. The band can only get a check of the lowest difficulty setting of a member of the band, and caps on fans are introduced depending on the difficulty. In essence, this means if you have one merely okay or poor player (it will most likely be your drummer, since most people I played with couldn't survive on medium), they'll be holding you back - without enough fans, you can't play bigger venues and progress. I guess it's meant to force you to get better, but it just seemed unfair when I was playing.

That said, while it might seem like I'm spouting nothing but negatives, there's so much more to it. The feeling of rocking out that you got in GHs previous is multiplied by a million here. Those negatives are just minor annoyances, and once you get in the groove, they just disappear. Play this game, you'll see.

UGH, hueg post is hueg. Sorry for the thesis paper guys, but this is what I've been mulling over all day.

i played co-op over live with our supposed-to-be drummer tonight. Nobody i know has got together to hangout even though i know like 10 people who have it. I dunno if he just blew at drums but he failed out quite a few songs. I'm pretty good at drums apparently, can play on medium. I've only ever played drums in real life like 15 years ago. also found out you can only play DLC online if everyone owns the song, figures

So myself, Cerrax, and my roommate just got played rockband for about five hours straight. Not only that, but since I have access to the AV system and projector in Duquesne University's Recital hall, we played it on the biggest fucking screen in the world. It was KICK ASS.

The only problem we really had was the lag, but other than that it was really cool.

I'm somewhat disappointed with the song selection on Rock band...well mainly because I don't know most of them, but I hope they add more recognizable songs in the future.

The drums have felt a bit finicky to me at times. I don't think it's the calibration like I assumed at first. It just feels like every 20th hit or so, a hit won't register properly. Annoying, but no biggie if you can get a group together to play. You'll have too much fun to notice.

Again, for me they feel spot on, except for solo's which aren't even close. I've only played a few hours and had some 200+ note streaks on Hard difficulty.

Been rockin the band a bit longer now. I can do a lot of songs on hard on drums now. The kick is still my weak spot though. It's so hard to get my brain to think about moving my foot to the beat like that. Plus, I played the trumpet for like 12 years and always tapped my foot to the quarter-note beat, so sometimes I start just doing that by habit. Also, the muscle on the top of my foot gets tired...It will probably get easier I think.

Good times!

Went to walmart on release night at midnight with a friend. Had to drive 50 miles to one cause the others here didnt have the bundles for 360. We waited for 2 hours in electronics, all the time them saying they had it in the back. At midnight, they bring out the PS3 version. We asked about the 360 bundles, to which they said "we don't have them". We argued with them, as did other people that waited with us. They finally told us they had it for 360, but couldn't sell it till black friday. We made them call the manager out, which was a retard. He told us the same thing. They then proceeded to call the cops on us, and the cops pretty much hung out till we were forced to leave. I took pics of all of this with my camera phone cause I thought it was hilarious they did this shit to us. We pretty much told them all to go fuck theirselves, and will call the BBB on them and the corperate office, even though that won't do a thing.

I know that this has been mentioned, but it deserves further discussion imo because of the sheer absurdity of the situation:

Do you realize that NO OTHER GUITAR CONTROLLER IN THE WORLD is compatible with the ps3 version of Rock Band. This would be ridiculas on it's own, but to compound the issue, STAND ALONE INSTRUMENTS ARE NOT FOR SALE UNTIL NEXT YEAR!

Let's ponder what this means, a game that was designed and marketed around the idea of playing as a full band, giutar, base, drums and singer, is literally impossible as of now (unless you buy Two 200 dollar kits.... um yeah).

The position of the designers is that it isn't there fault, they use open source bla bla bla, so apperently every other giutar periphial is to be blamed, not their game.

Oh yeah, the 360 version is compatible with everything, which pretty much debunks the above defense.

Someone on the Ps version of the game dropped the ball big time. The situation is just so stupid, and was so easily avoidable that I'm completely baffled.

Oh yeah and the Rock Band Guitar sucks giant donkey dick, I can barely play through passages that I could have gotten through in my sleep on even the shittiest guitar hero controller.

(i'm still having a blast with the drums though) : )

So you are complaining about the fact that you got it for a system that had no previous guitar hero games on it, and that there are no single instruments you can buy. Should research more next time then.

GH3 came out previous to it.

IGN said that controller would work with Rock Band.

Do more research before you post next time.

Regardless, a game designed for two controllers should have a 2nd controller available on the market.