Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

I have 3 grand stars so far, and holy shit, it's pretty amazing. control under water still sucks as always (at least to me), the Bowser battle is awesome, and the overall design for each galaxy is all fun. I get a little confused when underneath some planets sometimes, but you get used to it.

I still need to try the co-op mode. I hear it makes things so much easier.

You know what is the most striking element of this game thus far? Striking in the sense that it caught me off guard. The music. It's this delightful blend of orchestral gravitas, irreverent acoustics, and synthetics hauntingly reminiscent of Disney's 80's vision of the future ala Horizons at Disneyworld. It's surprisingly beautiful and eclectic. I don't have many bold memories of latter-day Marios having excellent music. But Galaxy got that shit all up in yo' ass.

Remixers, your time has come again.

Been playing this game on and off since getting out of class earlier today (and skipped a late afternoon class to dedicate more time to the cause). Luckily, I have no shortage of roommates/friends willing to be my Co-Star, so I've played most of the game with assistance. I've also been the Co-Star, and I have to wonder why nobody thought of this before. (Well, except for Wind Waker's Tingle Tuner, which didn't count because you didn't help as much, and it required hooking up a GBA with a cable that most people don't own.) The Co-Star functionality makes it much more enjoyable to watch someone else play the game, because, well, you're not just watching. You can point things out on the screen, help out a weaker player, or just have fun OCD-ily collecting Star Bits.

Or as they've been somehow named at my place, "naughty" bits. Mmmm... yeah, you're so naughty Mario. Collecting those naughty bits. Soooo naughty...

You know what is the most striking element of this game thus far? Striking in the sense that it caught me off guard. The music. It's this delightful blend of orchestral gravitas, irreverent acoustics, and synthetics hauntingly reminiscent of Disney's 80's vision of the future ala Horizons at Disneyworld. It's surprisingly beautiful and eclectic. I don't have many bold memories of latter-day Marios having excellent music. But Galaxy got that shit all up in yo' ass.

You said it. That's been my favorite part of this game so far.

I just got in today and I am very impressed so far. The gameplay is just rock solid and the levels are very well designed. I'm sure they'll just get better the further you go into the game.

Also is just me or does anyone else think its stupid how reviewers like Gamespot and GameInformer are comparing the game's graphics with that of sunshines. I honestly can't see any comparison at all. To me Galaxy looks much better in every way, especially animation wise and I'm even playing the game on 480i. Gamespot also ran this feature comapring the graphics and all they presented where some fuzzy screen shots. Those screens in no way do Galaxy justice.

I picked this up earlier and I haven't played it much, about an hour maybe. I like it but the hype for it didn't really compare to Sunshines (at least to me). Because when i picked up Sunshine i played it ALL day and had like 70 shines at the end of the day. Maybe I'm just getting older. Seems pretty fun though.

I picked this up earlier and I haven't played it much, about an hour maybe. I like it but the hype for it didn't really compare to Sunshines (at least to me). Because when i picked up Sunshine i played it ALL day and had like 70 shines at the end of the day. Maybe I'm just getting older. Seems pretty fun though.

See, I never got pumped for Sunshine. And to be honest, I wasn't too terribly excited about Galaxy, but man, I'm having a blast. I never really liked Sunshine all that much.

Also, the music is just plain awesome. DVDs for games, voice acting in MP3, and now orchestrated music in SM:Galaxy... Is Nintendo finally catching up to the the rest of the world?

I need confirmation. Is long jump in the game??? I missed it so much in Super Mario Sunshine. I need me some long jump... it's the only way to travel.

yeah it is indeed in there. but they took out the spin jump they added in sunshine, the one where you rotate the stick 360+jump. Mario doesn't make the same "yahoo!" sound when he long jumps anymore though. sometimes he makes similar sounds though.

Long jump, side flip, backflip, wall jump, and triple jump are all in.

No more punching -- instead all you get is the spin (which is just as good if not better anyway).

Once you spin-attack an enemy, you can walk right into them and Mario will punch or kick the enemy. Not the same as Mario 64, but it's good to see Mario still has a violent side.