Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

Great game so far... I didn't preorder, I got to EBX 10 minutes before close last night, they had two copies... BAM.

It's genius.

I also recently started BioShock, which I think is ridiculously well done.

I'm hearing good things about Assassin's Creed now, as well... I dunno, 2007 has been a juggernaut year for gaming. It's almost scary how much quality is out there.

Galaxy, however, does EXACTLY what the reviews say it does - redefines a genre. Often you can do that without making a playable, enjoyable game at the same time, but this is Nintendo, and that clearly didn't happen. I'm a happy pretzel.

I'm hearing good things about Assassin's Creed now, as well... I dunno, 2007 has been a juggernaut year for gaming. It's almost scary how much quality is out there.

Galaxy, however, does EXACTLY what the reviews say it does - redefines a genre. Often you can do that without making a playable, enjoyable game at the same time, but this is Nintendo, and that clearly didn't happen. I'm a happy pretzel.

Quite true, good sir pretzel. This year's offerings are especially impressive to me in that some of them have been brand new IP's (Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed,) while several others have been sequels to games or series that easily could have rested on their laurels and didn't (Halo, Mario, Metroid.) If Brawl had come out this year, it would have been over. Bravo, games industry. Yet another year of refuting the "good old days" argument.

All that having been said, I LOVE THIS GAME. Before you ask, I would gladly go to Vermont and get a civil union with Mario Galaxy if I could. I don't think that's legal yet, though.

Seriously, though, I'm 36 stars in after having played it for about six hours, and I've loved almost every minute of that. The gravity shifting is surprisingly intuitive, the controls are simple but effective, and the challenge is just enough to make me exclaim at the screen when I mess up but still want to keep playing. Great stuff.

Oh man! I completely forgot about this game, until hearing on the radio today that it came out yesterday (one of the questions on a a quiz thing the station was having was "What Mario game came out yesterday?"). Unfortunately I'm running on 2 hours of sleep so I don't think it's even safe for me to drive right now.

Awesome to hear it's as good as it looks, though. I'll make sure to pick it up tomorrow.

I beat the game. Didn't get all the stars yet, of course, but I've gotten past the final boss.

I must say, I was kind of disappointed. That was not the most difficult battle of the game. I was kind of hoping for one extra boss battle during that ending cinema scene, but I never got it. Ah well.

Of course, the game isn't any less awesome.

Also, I was amused to find a message sent to my Wii mailbox from Mailtoad, informing me that Luigi had gone missing, and that I needed to rescue him.

Now, here's hoping that there's a level out there where I get to use the Red Star power-up to get a Power Star. *crosses fingers*

Also, I was amused to find a message sent to my Wii mailbox from Mailtoad, informing me that Luigi had gone missing, and that I needed to rescue him.

If there's one thing I can complain about, that's it. He sends so many worthless messages to my Wii. >.<

Of course, that's not too big of a deal, especially when you compare it to the awesomeness of the game. The music is amazing, and the gravitational tricks are incredibly entertaining. The difficulty level is a lot better than Sunshine's, too.

Oh...and I must say, I was relieved to find that voice acting is at a minimum. I don't think I could handle another set of Sunshine cutscenes.

yeah fuck mailtoad

he sent me six of the same letter

This is what Nintendo does to me non-stop. I get repeats of "Wii System Update 3.1 is now available!" and "The Everybody Votes Channel has been updated to function with Wii Menu version 3.1!" and "Nintendo is proud to announce the Check Mii Out channel!" every day for week(s) straight.

anyone else having fun long jumping between graviational pulls, making you spin around the planet a few times before you land? especially when a black hole in the center of one planet became a star, I long jumped in and orbited many many times

I was actually getting ready to post about this.

anyone else having fun long jumping between graviational pulls, making you spin around the planet a few times before you land? especially when a black hole in the center of one planet became a star, I long jumped in and orbited many many times

no ive been having fun doing triple jumps while ice skating and off of the backs of lumas instead

There's a section of a certain galaxy with 3 disc-shaped platforms that I kept jumping between until I finally got out far enough into space that Mario started performing a twisting figure 8-like pattern from one platform to the next and back again in the most dizzying display of platforming I've ever seen. Wicked fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDr3Ek4DTzE

I desperately need an mp3 of this song. Anyway. This YouTube user (http://www.youtube.com/user/ChromeSonic00) seems to have a bunch of the music from Galaxy posted on YouTube. I can't ask what all your favorites are, but what songs from the game do you guys find yourself humming along with?

the music from the sweet sweet galaxy, among others. the one thats a remix of the super mario world 3 hill music

I loved the sweet sweet galaxy music too. Its great to see love for not only SMB3 music, but SMB64. I was grinning when I entered the second dome's boss level and heard the bowser stage music from SMB64. Also, that level was awesome, and the choral music during the boss were pretty cool too. I set that off several times before realizing what I was supposed to be doing during that time.

My roommate picked it up. I'm only in a good hour or two but I've been watching him play too. Fan-friggin-tastic. He clocked in 10+ hours yesterday. The music definitely took a unique turn and is, in my opinion, from what I've heard, the best mario soundtrack to date.

Why does Luigi always have to be such a whiny useless twat?