Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

I would have had the Toy Galaxy purple coin run on the 3rd try, but I didn't have any platforms left to jump back to get the star, haha.

I had 15 lives on that one, I came out with only 3. That is quite possibly the hardest challenge for me yet, next to the daredevil runs on the last lava course (in the garden) and fighting polterghost in the ghost house galaxy.

Question: do you have to get all 120 stars before you go to fight Bowser for the last time, or can you get the stars afterwards and fight Bowser again to get the other ending?

Atma, I find the spinning to be pretty fun. The wiimote is way more responsive in this game than it was in Twilight Princess, so there aren't any problems with shaking violently when there's an enemy nearby...really, all it takes is a little swing. And spinning actually feels satisfying for me. XP

69 Stars. Beat the game and unlocked those purple coin challenges. Loving those.

Not disappointed with this game one bit. Gameplay, graphics, and the music are awesome! The only big negative against it is the shallow storyline...even though I know that Mario platformers have never been about story. Challenge is definitely there if you pursue it. I'm having a hard time beating one of those trial galaxies (green stars)...the ball course is frustrating...

Got 120 tonight, and got a few in the second playthrough. Hardest star = Melty Molten's Daredevil Comet Star, by far. Way too many tries on that, and twice I got so close I could taste it and then died.

Toy Time's Purple Coin star is easy if you remember one thing: jump from coin to coin, don't run. You have 3 minutes, which is easily enough time if you go for a few of the clusters.

Least favourite star: Rolling Gizmo Galaxy. Fuck that ball.

I just don't see why so many people are having so much trouble with the daredevil run on that lava galaxy. It took me one try. On the other hand, I blew ten lives on Luigi's bloody purple coins. I only got it by calling over a buddy to co-star so I could have more time to plan and execute my manuevers.

Just got to the hundred coin challenge on the ghost house galaxy.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. One minute! I have yet to get even half of them in a minute.

LOL yeah I just completed that. Started off the same way as you. Takes a few tries to speed up your game. Just know that you can skip the order of blue star thingies...don't need to touch every one...

I'm having a bit of trouble grabbing 100 purple coins in the Desert Galaxy (Dusty Dune if I recall correctly). There's this Throwmp that has 3 coins above it and I can't seem to reach them. I tried using the tornado helicopter Mario ability to get above the Throwmp but to no avail.

Advice, anyone?

This can be accomplished with one of my favorite maneuvers:

First, stand next to the Thwomp and backflip just as he comes down.

Second, wall jump off of him as soon as you land against him at the top of the flip.

Third, at the apex of your wall jump, spin and jam on the control stick in the direction you need Mario to float in order to get on top of the Thwomp. If you don't make it on top quite yet and wind up landing against him able to do another wall jump, repeat the process.

It's really quite handy for making any number of seemingly impossible jumps, and creating some ridiculous (non-glitch) shortcuts for speed runs. I can't remember if it's the only real way to get on top of the Thwomp, but it's probably the most effective.

This can be accomplished with one of my favorite maneuvers:

First, stand next to the Thwomp and backflip just as he comes down.

Second, wall jump off of him as soon as you land against him at the top of the flip.

Third, at the apex of your wall jump, spin and jam on the control stick in the direction you need Mario to float in order to get on top of the Thwomp. If you don't make it on top quite yet and wind up landing against him able to do another wall jump, repeat the process.

It's really quite handy for making any number of seemingly impossible jumps, and creating some ridiculous (non-glitch) shortcuts for speed runs. I can't remember if it's the only real way to get on top of the Thwomp, but it's probably the most effective.

Actually a much easier way to do it is to be next to the Thwomp, face towards it, and then when it comes down, backflip while holding in the direction towards it, spin near the top, and you will grab on since you are already facing it. This eliminates the necessity to wall jump off it. So all you need is one backflip and one spin. No need to get all complicated here. :D

No problem, man.

Also for those that have 120 stars and have been playing through again...

[bizarre Spoilers]Anyone else find it REALLY weird with two Luigi's running about?! When I jumped into the Ghostly Galaxy I was thinking that it would be Mario that I would end up finding... but there's a second Luigi. And he helps you find Power Stars too. The dialogue has also been slightly adjusted to account for the fact there are two Luigis. They acknowledge the fact there are two but everyone doesn't mind at ALL.[/bizarre Spoilers]

Actually a much easier way to do it is to be next to the Thwomp, face towards it, and then when it comes down, backflip while holding in the direction towards it, spin near the top, and you will grab on since you are already facing it. This eliminates the necessity to wall jump off it. So all you need is one backflip and one spin. No need to get all complicated here. :D

But it is a handy trick to learn regardless. I do it all the time. It's saved one of my lives when taking a fall many times, even when I didn't expect to pull it off.

No problem, man.

Also for those that have 120 stars and have been playing through again...

[bizarre Spoilers]Anyone else find it REALLY weird with two Luigi's running about?! When I jumped into the Ghostly Galaxy I was thinking that it would be Mario that I would end up finding... but there's a second Luigi. And he helps you find Power Stars too. The dialogue has also been slightly adjusted to account for the fact there are two Luigis. They acknowledge the fact there are two but everyone doesn't mind at ALL.[/bizarre Spoilers]

Highlight:

I think it's hilarious. Especially how nobody cares and everyone refers to both of you as "Luigi" without distinguishing between the two of you. And Mario isn't even mentioned aside from in Peach's letters (not sure about in the ending, though, since I haven't gotten quite that far yet).

Highlight:

I think it's hilarious. Especially how nobody cares and everyone refers to both of you as "Luigi" without distinguishing between the two of you. And Mario isn't even mentioned aside from in Peach's letters (not sure about in the ending, though, since I haven't gotten quite that far yet).

LOL. Couldn't help but spoil myself. Yeah...that is really weird. It was smart of them to alter the dialogue, but they should at least replaced Luigi with Mario or something.