Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

This game definitely raised the bar in terms of platformers, Kiyosuki. Perhaps the only ones who can go further are Nintendo themselves and Insomniac, creators of Ratchet and Clank.

All I know is that the next big step with Mario should be having a deeper storyline. Mario Galaxy's story pales in comparison to Ratchet and Clank Future. It doesn't need to have a deep story...it just has to be more cinematic and attached to the game. Hell, it can be funny like R&C and the Paper Mario series, which seem to be what's more suitable. On the other hand, I'd love to see something as good as Super Mario RPG applied to a Mario platformer. They should let the Zelda Team handle the scenario writing or something...that would kick ass...

^ I disagree with almost everything about your post. Galaxy has a unique story, especially for a Mario game (for example, involving the concept of reincarnation). The sub-story is extremely capable of evoking emotion, and the ending battle is epic (although it's a bit too easy).

There's one thing I didn't like about the ending, which deals with an unresolved issue. Maybe you know what that 'something' is.

Edit: I wouldn't mind something like Super Mario RPG though. Also, I've never played Ratchet and Clank, so I can't really say anything about that.

^ I disagree with almost everything about your post. Galaxy has a unique story, especially for a Mario game (for example, involving the concept of reincarnation). The sub-story is extremely capable of evoking emotion, and the ending battle is epic (although it's a bit too easy).

There's one thing I didn't like about the ending, which deals with an unresolved issue. Maybe you know what that 'something' is.

Edit: I wouldn't mind something like Super Mario RPG though. Also, I've never played Ratchet and Clank, so I can't really say anything about that.

The story is capable of evoking emotion...but did it actually do so in my case? Not really. There was awesome potential in the sub-story, which is why I hate the fact that they went with a storybook style and made it OPTIONAL instead of integrating it to the game in cut-scene and cinematic fashion. That's why I feel that the storyline isn't really attached to the game despite the cool concepts.

If you ever get a PS3, get Ratchet and Clank Future. I never paid attention the the series...the PS3 installment is actually my first one, and I was AMAZED by the production values. Full voice acting, cut-scenes, insane humor with a couple of twists and turns...Nintendo can easily do the same thing with Mario platformers...we've seen excellent writing in the Paper Mario series and a deep storyline in Super Mario RPG, now all we need is a bit more production.

I know I sound like a whiny bitch, but that's the way I see it. I'm SO glad that Nintendo finally went with an orchestrated soundtrack, and that alone tells me that they're taking big steps.

IMO the best part of Galaxy is the way the music changes based on your movements. More games need to do this -- if you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the music when you dive underwater as one example.

The Mario series has been doing that for a long time.

Take Yoshi in SMW or stepping onto land in one of SM64's water levels.

Like everyone's saying, Koji Kondo popularized dynamic tunes since SMW in the SNES days. What's new about Galaxy is that for the first time in the Mario series they were able to create dynamic themes with live orchestrated tracks. About time.

Ironically, Kondo didn't compose the soundtrack. He acted as a supervisor and only made 4 tunes while Mr. Yakota (composer of DK Jungle Beat) and Mr. Ohta (Four Swords Adventures, New Super Mario Brothers) took the helm. OF course, let's not forget the Mario Galaxy Orchestra team.

Just played this at a friend's house all the way through the night. Never even been on a Wii before, but this made me and my roommate think about putting out to get one now. So fun. The whole gem thing is fantastic. Gives you something to do all the time in the game.

Wingless kinda sucks at music, so don't listen to his ranting.

IMO the best part of Galaxy is the way the music changes based on your movements. More games need to do this -- if you don't know what I'm talking about, listen to the music when you dive underwater as one example.

The ball-rolling music blows my mind every time. It's hilarious and awesome at the same time.

I'd like to see more fluid music shifts in the next Zelda. For example, we don't want the field enemy music to start playing when we pass an enemy and then have it continue for several seconds after the enemy is gone. It would be cool if the overworld music was fully integrated with the battle music and it could shift back and forth whenever instead of waiting for the next shifting point. If you know what I mean.

Not to get off-topic.

What exactly are you getting at, megadave? I can't think of a specific unresolved issue off the top of my head at the moment. Just spoilertag it or something.

SPOILER ALERT...

Keep going....

Alright. At the beginning, the princess says that the has "something to give you", but she never gives you anything. Do you have to beat the game with Luigi too? I've gotten all 120 stars and the extended ending, but that part still doesn't make sense to me.

Also, how do you make the text white? I tried using an html font property, but it didn't work.

SPOILERS FOR MEGADAVE...

Go to CP... Then click edit options Under Settings & Options... scroll to the bottom

see this Message Editor Interface: and change to enhanced... Then your message edit box will have some options one is the color of text.... that is where you can change it to white.

End Megadave spoilers.

Oh, I finally got 120 stars the other day. I would have gotten Lava Spire dare devil run first try. I got screwed at the part where you have to collect the 5 gold star launcher pieces. On the last piece where it stops and moves to the star to show you where it is, I held down to prevent Mario from running into lava, but he just kept on running the same way he was going. After that it was just me making dumb mistakes trying to go too fast :P.

My last star was the Sea Slide 100 purple coins. Talk about the longest 120th star stage to do.

You just reminded me of running out of batteries. >.<

WHY did they have to wait like five seconds before auto-pausing the game? I let my batteries run all the way out before recharging them, and it's not usually a problem because games pause themselves when the batteries are dead. Super Mario Galaxy waits a few seconds and lets Mario run into some lava or something while you're smashing the control stick in vain. Ugh.

Good Lord... anyone have any tips on how to properly negotiate the wall-jump off the tower that's necessary to complete Purple Coins In The Woods? Nothing I try seems to be enough to get onto that platform.

Oh god.....that took me forever!! What I did was back flip then did the spin attack at the right moment (highest moment of the jump) and grabbed onto the ledge. Took me a few times to pull it off.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to beat the toy time purple coin? That one is a total bitch!!

Good Lord... anyone have any tips on how to properly negotiate the wall-jump off the tower that's necessary to complete Purple Coins In The Woods? Nothing I try seems to be enough to get onto that platform.

I ended up forgetting about the wall-kick altogether.

If you time your jumps right, you can triple jump from the raised platform to the launch star. Way easier.

Oh god.....that took me forever!! What I did was back flip then did the spin attack at the right moment (highest moment of the jump) and grabbed onto the ledge. Took me a few times to pull it off.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to beat the toy time purple coin? That one is a total bitch!!

I don't even remember the purple coins in the woods level. I must not have had any trouble with it...

The toy time purple coin...basically, keep jumping constantly. The long jump + spin move is your friend. Don't destroy green tiles that you don't need to. Get those two long strings of coins over the swamp stuff. Don't try to run on the yellow tiles; you might end up getting stuck against a small ledge and being unable to react in time to jump over it. If there are specific coins you have a lot of trouble with, skip them. You only need 100 out of the 150 that are there.

Yeah, that's about all I have to offer. Oohh, I hated that level. But it was good to be challenged.