Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

I gotta say, my least favorite part of Galaxy were those couple Purple Comit missions that were open ended. The worst offender was FreezeFlame Galaxy, but I wasn't terribly happy with the desert galaxy either. They reminded me too much of note-collecting in Banjo-Kazooie. I definitely had 99 coins in FreezeFlame and then died in the frozen water going after the last coin (the one that floated above a pillar in the center of the lake). They take way too long, and you're screwed if you make one little mistake and lose a life. Also, you have to be careful you don't skip a single coin, otherwise backtracking takes forever sometimes.

However, I have a lot of fun with the timed coin missions. Toy Time was the hardest of all the Purple Comits, but at least you didn't run the risk of investing 10 minutes into a single run, only to accidentally slip up and land in some purple goo. You also don't have to wonder where that last coin is, because there's more than you need floating around.

I actually liked the untimed purple coin missions. You really get to know the stage better. The timed missions were a little more annoying, but they made for some awesome one-second-left finishes. Whoo...

I think that happened in Gusty Garden. I didn't realize there were over 100 coins, so I was going for all the random loner coins on the narrow beams. I barely made it back to the star in time; it's lucky I stumbled onto the correct side of the cube.

I just got 120! Booyah!

You have no idea how surprised I am to get the last twenty in one sitting. All of the usual challenges already listed in this thread were there. Yet somehow, the last star I got was the daredevil star in the deep dark galaxy. I saw the title and my star count, and a wave of happy realization spread across my mind.

v

Luigi is a bit interesting as far as control goes. I didn't realise how much faster he ran until I got to the note-chase in the first galaxy. It was like listening to techno...

^

Yeah, I had to try a few times for some of those. I jumped on his head because he's a meanie. D:

I've been playing through as Luigi and I've found several stars to be a lot easier than they had been before (I got the toy time purple coin star in one go). I guess I must be getting better, because Luigi's lubricated shoes certainly aren't helping.

There's a cheat for an extra boost at the beginning of those races. Taken from gamespot:

Starting Boost When Racing Cosmic Mario

When the countdown timer starts as you are racing Cosmic Mario, hold forward, then as it hits 2, hold down on Z to crouch, and when the race starts hit A right away and you will turn yellow for a few seconds and get a really good boost that will put you way ahead of Cosmic Mario.

There's a cheat for an extra boost at the beginning of those races. Taken from gamespot:

Starting Boost When Racing Cosmic Mario

When the countdown timer starts as you are racing Cosmic Mario, hold forward, then as it hits 2, hold down on Z to crouch, and when the race starts hit A right away and you will turn yellow for a few seconds and get a really good boost that will put you way ahead of Cosmic Mario.

Holy crap, that's gonna help a ton. I was getting my ass handed to me every time by Cosmic Luigi. He never slows down!

Currently, that Toy Galaxy Purple Coin challenge is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. lol. That and two of the trial galaxies (bubble and ball). Man, I think those are going to be the last three stars I get.

Eh, the purple coin challenge only took me a few tries.. you just gotta plan your path out and figure out how not to screw yourself.

The bubble trial galaxy pissed me off moreso than the ball one, though some might think it'd be the other way around.

The bubble trial galaxy pissed me off moreso than the ball one, though some might think it'd be the other way around.

Same. Though I blame that entirely on my lack of patience. I thought it was pretty easy... so after the first time I died I just rushed through to where I had gotten. And repeated that like... 8 times. lol

Same. Though I blame that entirely on my lack of patience. I thought it was pretty easy... so after the first time I died I just rushed through to where I had gotten. And repeated that like... 8 times. lol

This always happens to me.. I teat every level like a speed run, and end up dying way more than I need to...

So. Having completely beaten the game yesterday, I haven't turned it on since then. However, I'm informed that at some point around when you get that last star, the game adds a number to your save file, representing how many times you've died.

I'm... afraid to check to see if this is true. (I didn't notice it.) Because if so, I'll be tempted to play through the entire game again, just to get a zero. :( :( :(

I just got (spoiler?) 121 stars.

Much like getting 120 stars in Mario 64, it's a little disappointing. (At least you get a whole level, if small and slightly used, as a reward, instead of a stupid cameo by Yoshi and a useless jump upgrade.)

You get a jump upgrade in Super Mario 64? o.o

I just got 121 stars as well. I was hoping for a little more, but it wasn't bad. What sucks is that Peach's gift is still left unmentioned. I was hoping to get a little cutscene or something, if only for a cake. :P

Also, my passionate hatred for the Dreadnought purple coin star has been revived. The amount of time it takes to get up from taking damage is ridiculous...

You get a jump upgrade in Super Mario 64? o.o

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/n64/code/198848.html - Check out the Yoshi "cheat".

Talk to Yoshi in SM64 and you'll get 100 1ups, which most of us remember. What most people dismiss is the "improved" triple jump, which was somehow even more useless than a Wii Message Board post congratulating you for putting in 20 hours of work twice.