Super Mario Galaxy

SwordBreaker

Do a long jump from the beginning to leave you some squares. You're going to need them to get back on. Go right, right off the bat. Pretty much do a circle of the whole map, and just work your way back to the beginning since that's where the star will appear.

can i afford to leave some coins, or do they give you exactly 100? I tend to run over some squares that I might need to grab some floating coins

For the Luigi Purple Coin level: Spin after EVERY jump, and you'll be able to get a lot of coins without landing on the platforms under them. Also, do long jumps to get those big strings of coins. I found the most helpful strategy was leaving as many platforms as possible near the entrance untouched. You don't need to get those coins at the beginning, so no need to risk ruining those platforms and screw yourself at the end.

By the way, that happens to be my favourite level. I really hated the hard ray-surfing one though... until I attempted going REALLY slow, and beat it on the first try in 1:30. You do NOT need to go fast in that one to get the star! The key to the bubble one is patience - do NOT rush!! And the key to the ball one is.... don't take any risks. Hmm, I guess the key to all 3 of those levels is pretty much the same "slow and steady" rule...

Another random tip: Mario's homing stomp (spin in the air, then immediately press Z) can pretty be useful in some of the longer levels where you want to avoid falling in the hole at all costs. For example, if there's a purple coin perched precariously on a ledge, you can jump above the coin and do a homing stomp, and you'll land directly under the coin (and get the coin too of course!)

I really hated the hard ray-surfing one though... until I attempted going REALLY slow, and beat it on the first try in 1:30. You do NOT need to go fast in that one to get the star! The key to the bubble one is patience - do NOT rush!! And the key to the ball one is.... don't take any risks. Hmm, I guess the key to all 3 of those levels is pretty much the same "slow and steady" rule...

Talking about the green trial stars? I love the ball level there. Ray surfing...ugh. My little sister is better at it than I am, even though she isn't too great with normal gameplay. That homing jump has been really helpful for her.

I had no idea the homing jump locked onto purple coins. I don't know if I'd use it at all, but that's interesting. I know spinning with the glowy flying hands will pull purple coins towards you; that really made things quicker in the gate level.

ive finally gotten around to playing this more and im up to about 20 stars

im really not all that blown away by it i mean its fun but nothing in comparison to the kinda fun i had playing mario 64 or even sunshine AND I HATED SUNSHINE

does it get better or not

im really not all that blown away by it i mean its fun but nothing in comparison to the kinda fun i had playing mario 64 or even sunshine AND I HATED SUNSHINE

well if you're at 20 stars, you still got 100 left. It'll get harder and more like a classic mario game later

on another note, i just beat it with 120, got luigi and GOD STOP SLIDING, SHIT, but awesome jumps

You may find it gets better, but you seem to be in the same boat as me to be honest. I hate Sunshine, but still think Mario 64 is the greatest 3D platformer ever made. I went into this one with some high hopes after the initial reviews, and it didn't start out too bad with the exception of the fact that the first levels were way too easy. I kept playing hoping it would get better, but the more I played, the more I started to outright hate the game. I got to about 70 stars before I stopped. By that point, the game wasn't much harder than in the beginning, and I started to be more and more annoyed by the lack of camera control (especially under water). I've also come to realize that I hate the level design. Half the fun I had with Mario 64 was exploring levels to find stars for myself, and find ways past obstacles by myself. The levels in Galaxy are just far too linear in my opinion, and have little to go and explore free from the guiding hand of the camera. I'd like a lot less hand holding personally. I think the game's a decent enough platformer, but nowhere near the level of 64. I was just plain bored at only half way through.

You may find it gets better, but you seem to be in the same boat as me to be honest. I hate Sunshine, but still think Mario 64 is the greatest 3D platformer ever made. I went into this one with some high hopes after the initial reviews, and it didn't start out too bad with the exception of the fact that the first levels were way too easy. I kept playing hoping it would get better, but the more I played, the more I started to outright hate the game. I got to about 70 stars before I stopped. By that point, the game wasn't much harder than in the beginning, and I started to be more and more annoyed by the lack of camera control (especially under water). I've also come to realize that I hate the level design. Half the fun I had with Mario 64 was exploring levels to find stars for myself, and find ways past obstacles by myself. The levels in Galaxy are just far too linear in my opinion, and have little to go and explore free from the guiding hand of the camera. I'd like a lot less hand holding personally. I think the game's a decent enough platformer, but nowhere near the level of 64. I was just plain bored at only half way through.

Once you rescue Peach and start all the purple comet levels... it will get MUCH more fun. And some of the purple comet levels are quite a bit less "hand-holding" ish than most of the game. But really, I don't think the lack of exploration is a fault, because I really didn't expect any. And to be honest, there are enough "hidden" stars that lie off of the path to make it interesting (perhaps you haven't found those yet?).

But yeah, I REALLY wish the first 70 or so stars were a lot more challenging, and the bosses too. Seems like they went with "let's make the game so easy that ANYONE can beat it, and then make all the hard stuff optional, and only accessible once you've played the game for 10 hours!!". That's been the philosophy for just about every game Nintendo has released in the past 4 years that I've played (excluding Wii Play)... I do not like it! >=[

But really, the first play through wasn't that bad. I just started the second play through the game though... I'm afraid the first 60 or 70 stars are going to be even easier and more boring than last time... :puppyeyes: Are they??

I don't remember this many people complaining about Super Mario Bros being too linear.

Sorry...it just makes me sad when people are all picky about games. I don't know, it feels like people these days complain way too much. Well, at least they do after the game has been out for a while.

And now I'm complaining about people who complain. Whatever, I'm not out to ruin your dissatisfaction.

No, I am not attempting to look like some kind of fanboy. I just think a lot of great games have been getting more criticism than they deserve lately.

I'm a loser. Carry on.

I don't remember this many people complaining about Super Mario Bros being too linear.

Sorry...it just makes me sad when people are all picky about games. I don't know, it feels like people these days complain way too much. Well, at least they do after the game has been out for a while.

And now I'm complaining about people who complain. Whatever, I'm not out to ruin your dissatisfaction.

No, I am not attempting to look like some kind of fanboy. I just think a lot of great games have been getting more criticism than they deserve lately.

I'm a loser. Carry on.

No, it's true. Some gamers are spoiled these days, so they want a game that's perfect or it sucks.

Super Mario Galaxy is fun to me, especially since I played Mario 64. It really provided that nostalgic value that made it even better. It's not Mario 64, but it's still a good game.

I'm a loser. Carry on.

if a game doesnt make me enjoy it as much as the ENTIRE WORLD seems to say it does i complain about it

there are some specific reasons why but i have a 15 page paper to write so maybe ill list my problems with it later!

Hey... Did anyone know that aside from looking cool, Stomping immediately after spinning also homes? Enemies within close proximity are sought and squished.... but for particular amusement you can do it on the toads and lumas from crazy angles back and forth to propel yourself... Yeah, didn't know if that had been brought up yet.

Also, after everyone talking about how hard the Luigi races were, I was looking forward to the challenge. I got to the first one in the honeycomb galexy and LAWL to my amazement on my first race I beat him by like.. 20 seconds. I was losing badly and decided to make a leap of faith... and it turns out you can just long jump straight off the platform near the fountain and go nearly directly to the star. I thought that was LAWL. That is all.

The only thing about this game I would say is that the levels appear to be just a little bit shallow. In Mario 64, every stage was hooge, and had tons of exploration value. Mario Sunshine's worlds also felt large, and trek-worthy. In Galaxy though, everything feels somewhat contained. I really like the game, but I do miss having a really big area to romp through on my way to the star.

The only thing about this game I would say is that the levels appear to be just a little bit shallow. In Mario 64, every stage was hooge, and had tons of exploration value. Mario Sunshine's worlds also felt large, and trek-worthy. In Galaxy though, everything feels somewhat contained. I really like the game, but I do miss having a really big area to romp through on my way to the star.

I agree too. People underestimated the grand scope of Sunshine's levels. And it probably had more ambitious level designs than Mario 64's, though there were only a few of them.

Hey... Did anyone know that aside from looking cool, Stomping immediately after spinning also homes? Enemies within close proximity are sought and squished.... but for particular amusement you can do it on the toads and lumas from crazy angles back and forth to propel yourself... Yeah, didn't know if that had been brought up yet.

Also, after everyone talking about how hard the Luigi races were, I was looking forward to the challenge. I got to the first one in the honeycomb galexy and LAWL to my amazement on my first race I beat him by like.. 20 seconds. I was losing badly and decided to make a leap of faith... and it turns out you can just long jump straight off the platform near the fountain and go nearly directly to the star. I thought that was LAWL. That is all.

Yeah, someone in here mentioned the homing stomp. Yesterday I noticed the propellingness on the Toads...awesome.

And as for the race thing... So you can long jump off the edge of the planet and land at the end of that honey path? Now that I think about the placement, it does make sense.