OCR00853 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Lost Woods Inglewood"

Ginnsu

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Lost Woods Inglewood'

At first, this track seems bare, but I think that the unsteady drums, ambiance (which I did not expect when this mix started), and the pitch bends of the lead instrument certainly makes this piece a joy to listen to. I would be very interested to know whats being said in that clip of Malcolm X. Some of the words are escaping me. Excellent beat, keep it up BenCousins.

Ah, BenCousins, the theivez of my hip-hop ideaz in progress as I turn the wax, and mutate tracks. I planned to do a rap of the same song using Dr. Fruitcake's "Rock" Remix (Fruitcake is a member of VGmix). He will be creditted if I make the submission cut before 2003.

About the song:

First, the mot so good points: I noticed that the main bass-line intro wasn't even used once in the track so it kind of gave me a wierd feeling. The only thing I have a real problem with is the same bassline and main rythum line sound very very VERY similiar to a song by Destiny's Child. Please insert more originality.

Other than that, I love the hi-hat pattern mappings that BC uses which only gets way better. I also have a huge thing for ambient stuff. He uses street environment loops which blend well into the mix.

Still, (we all know this) LostWoods South Central was a classic. But this song gets a 7.5/10 for sounding quite fly and using that Martin Luther king sample thingy.

The only thing I have a real problem with is the same bassline and main rythum line sound very very VERY similiar to a song by Destiny's Child.

Yeah, this is a kind of cheeky joke. I wanted to take a corny track and try and infuse some 'hipness' into it. Please don't take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to take credit for a sample.

Malcom X is saying:

"I myself would go for non-violence if it was consistent, if it was intelligent. If everyone was going to be non-violent, and if we were going to be non-violent all the time, I'd say 'ok get get with it, we'll all be non-violent'. If they make the Klu Klux Klan non-violent, I'll be non-violent, if they make The White Citizens Council non-violent, I'll be non-violent."

Then I repeat "If they make the Klu-Klux-Klan non-violent, I'll be non-violent".

Thanks for your comments and look out for another couple of tracks that are upcoming.

mm... i like the other Z:LA remixes from BC, but this one just didn't do it for me. It seemed too... boring. Kinda the same thing over and over. Too simple to repeat that much. And the quote, in my opinion, didn't fit at all.

I have to say that i didn't like this one, but i still look forward to BC's next submission :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't normally like Hip-hop of any kind, especially the kind that you hear on the radio all the time. However, this mix is nothing to write off. The lead is AWESOME (although I don't know exactly why) and the samples really set the mood. Despite the slight repetitiveness of it, it's really a great track. Nice work, Ben.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a fine line between creative, "hip" originality, and utter uselessness. I enjoyed LostWoods South Central fully, but I'm sorry dude, you difinetly took a major step back in both animal village and certainly here. The piano-ish combo of instruments blaring the same notes gets annoying after the first 15 seconds. The drums aren't bad, but they don't help either. But that "guitar" is a killer. I sounds like you're strangling a high pitched cat. Then Malcom X comes out of nowhere and starts going on about equality, but I can't even make out what he's saying. I'm not trying to knock the whole Civil Rights Movement thang either, it's just I think there's better and more deserving places than the goofy atmosphere of a video game remix. Oh... those sirens were pointless, too. I'm not trying to be the jerk that I usually am and offer some serious construtive criticism here because I really like your stuff. I have no choice though and give this remix a rare 1/8.

• 2 months later...

Link's Awakening is a fine game, and this is a fine ReMix. It certainly gives the impression, however, that the mazelike forest of trees and undergrowth has been replaced by the mazelike forest of skyscrapers and alleyways.

Still and all, nicely done.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

LAX by Xzibit anyone. This song doesn't remind you of that. Im not knocking this song. I like it alot. But this song sounds identical to that one. My wife was the one that picked up on Destiny's Child. I agree with everyone that it sounds like Destiny's Child.

Good song.

• 3 years later...

For as long as I've known this song, I've always really, really, really, really, really loved the beat. But the song doesn't really go anywhere or do anything for me. It sort of just stays at a certain intensity, and then there are some voices. Kinda wish it evolved into something different, but I could never hate this song because I really love that beat.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00853 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Lost Woods Inglewood"