Writer's Guild Strike. TV = owned.

Ramaniscence

I wouldn't worry about TV too much because they have so many gameshows and reality shows nowadays and I watch a lot of them if I'm feeling bored.

Also, I would expect the movie industry will be hit hard if this strike goes on for months like it's expected to.

I want my Transformers 2..

I find this hilarious. I haven't watched TV in years. Excepting of course the snippets out in public places.

I don't. Because finally, after decades of lousy TV with a few good shows in a season, the last year had almost too many decent/good/great shows to watch. Then again, I watch mostly through the internet..

I wouldn't worry about TV too much because they have so many gameshows and reality shows nowadays and I watch a lot of them if I'm feeling bored.

Also, I would expect the movie industry will be hit hard if this strike goes on for months like it's expected to.

I want my Transformers 2..

I read somewhere (when I get home I'll see if I can dig out the link) that the movie industry is stocked with enough scripts to last all the way through 2008, and then some. I think the strike would have to last a ridiculously long time for movies to start taking a hit.

oh my god, do not FUCK with my HEROS

I can't help but :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not laughing at you or the show, just the reaction.

All I ever really watch is the occasional jeopardy, Discovery (health, science) History Channel and CN when there's nothing else that catches my interests...

Yeah I don't care much for Heros, House or any tv-reality shows...

*Equips Flame Shield* -Negates all flame/fire-based attacks

Yes. Writers are really not that rich, and not just the middle-class ones.

rich enough to be living in places like LA or Manhattan.

aw you feel underpaid? welcome to the lives of normal people. makes me wonder why white collar jobs dont have unions.

I don't really get this logic. I worked for a year as a programmer and to me it would be crazy to expect the company to pay, despite the fact that they currently are and will be using my code for a very long time as they see fit, me in perpetuity for that code. Why are writers of TV scripts more deserving of this sort of royalties than any other creative job? Guys who work for companies and make patentable ideas usually only get a $1 for it.

because theres a union muscling the corporation into it.

i am a software developer and barely get bonuses for shit i release. if you ask me these people shouldnt complain. i should be getting a check for every VOIP call going through my old companies service.

I can't help but :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not laughing at you or the show, just the reaction.

All I ever really watch is the occasional jeopardy, Discovery (health, science) History Channel and CN when there's nothing else that catches my interests...

*Equips Flame Shield* -Negates all flame/fire-based attacks

Same here pretty much; as far as tv goes this won't be affecting me. What little tv I do watch is pretty much Discovery networks, sitcom reruns, and occassionally cartoons :-P. I think the only current shows I watch anymore are Curb Your Enthusiasm and Avatar, even then the only one I really care about is Avatar and that's in no danger.

As far as it affecting film, I haven't heard much about this so I don't really have anything to say in this regard. No offense to I-N-J-I-N, but I couldn't personally look forward to a Transformers 2. To me the first one was an assault on the cinematic language, and it leaves me to only anticipate that a second will be equally as bad with Bay as the director. I wanted it to be good, and it really could have been, but it just wasn't executed well IMO.

I really don't care for what unions do anymore on a whole, but since I haven't researched much of what's being negotiated in this case I'll refrain from commenting. For the fans of the shows that will be affected at least, though, I hope these disputes become resolved.

I'm just a little confused how you felt the need to clump Heroes and House (two scripted dramas) with reality shows (unscripted crapfests), especially given that the former two are affected by the strike and the latter will keep on truckin.

For imagery: Heroes and House are of course very different and yet neither entertained me...

As for how I supposedly clumped them together, I just said "or" not "and"; Kind of like if I were to say, "Get me a can of hash, can of hash and some coffee". Neither two items are alike but are items I requested.

In this case I mentiooned Heroes and House on how they do not entertain me and then I added in tv reality shows because just like how the two mentioned dramas don't entertain me, I'm not entertained by TVRs. That's pretty much what they have in common; they just do not entertain me.

also as for the Transformer's movie, this comic sums it up :lol:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=241

one would assume that you are trolling this thread because you got your script denied, and to that i say tough beans suck it up

and you call me stupid. i suppose one would infer that i am a software developer since i make it quite explicit, but not you my friend. youre quite the quick one.

all i can say is, until i see the same benefits they do with the gross amount of money they make, i am not going to feel sympathy.

I have yet to really feel the effects (with the exception of the Daily Show, colbert, and some of the late night talk shows).

So right now I'm largely indifferent, however if it continues for too long then I'll start to get bugged.

I certainly hope this doesn't last long though... if those writers think they deserve more cash and the corporations in charge agree with them, then good for them. If not, well... blah.

and you call me stupid. i suppose one would infer that i am a software developer since i make it quite explicit, but not you my friend. youre quite the quick one.

all i can say is, until i see the same benefits they do with the gross amount of money they make, i am not going to feel sympathy.

when you show me how the pressures of writing a new episode every week for a tv show with immense ratings = software development then i will care about your petty feelings being hurt by noone paying attention to what you do and you not getting the 'credit' you deserve

The thing is that the whole situation is simply unjust. The studios and networks hog all the money and they treat the writers and the actual creative staff (arguably THE most important aspect of any show: the writing) like trash and relegate them to a barely surviving salary, and they expect to get away with it. It really has nothing to do with how much money someone else is making. Just that the distribution could be a lot better. And I think anyone who works and has a real input into their job and gets ripped by hierarchy could and should feel sympathy with that.

Though apparently some higher writing talents do get the requisite six figure contracts, what's irksome is the revenue flow. Hollywood and the music industry should've been crucified for their monopoly on the revenue a long time ago.

Eventually gaming development talent have to have a union to stand up for their rights too. But the movie/TV writers deserve it in the historical terms since they never had much revenue power since the birth of television.

when you show me how the pressures of writing a new episode every week for a tv show with immense ratings = software development then i will care about your petty feelings being hurt by noone paying attention to what you do and you not getting the 'credit' you deserve

I've always been under the impression that if you work at a place like Microsoft, the pressure can be really fucking on. Programmers have release dates and deadlines. While it isn't an every week thing, projects can be large enough where hitting the deadline can be scary with 80 hour work weeks.

The only justifiable reason I see you can defend writers getting special royalties is that writing is a hit or miss thing where you either make crap, or copious amounts of cash off a show. Some (not you Nicholas) have defended music and writing deserving of special compensation due to their "artistic" nature. Well, I personally see programming and all engineering as creative acts, and the reason I'm a programmer is because I believe it is an art form. From that standpoint, the artistic nature of writing doesn't make it more worthy of royalties than other jobs without reasons, cause what may seem mundane to you, might be a creative act to me.

I've always been under the impression that if you work at a place like Microsoft, the pressure can be really fucking on. Programmers have release dates and deadlines. While it isn't an every week thing, projects can be large enough where hitting the deadline can be scary with 80 hour work weeks.

The only justifiable reason I see you can defend writers getting special royalties is that writing is a hit or miss thing where you either make crap, or copious amounts of cash off a show. Some (not you Nicholas) have defended music and writing deserving of special compensation due to their "artistic" nature. Well, I personally see programming and all engineering as creative acts, and the reason I'm a programmer is because I believe it is an art form. From that standpoint, the artistic nature of writing doesn't make it more worthy of royalties than other jobs without reasons, cause what may seem mundane to you, might be a creative act to me.

Unless you program Halo 3, or maybe World of Warcraft, then you would have no where near the impact that these writers will have. How many Americans watch televsion. 200 million? How many use your software? 1, maybe 2? Not trying to be an ass, but you get the point.

dont listen to Nicholas, hes probably the guy whos script was rejected.

other than that, yeah software development requires an immense amount of work and dedication. i recently worked 2 weeks straight, no weekends, 12-13 hour days to roll a server out.

oh and i didnt get paid any fucking residuals.

not to mention were constantly changing companies, especially contractors.

Microsoft though is a different story. they are slave drivers. ive heard nothing but horror stories. i believe they actually try and make you live on campus so that youre always there.

Unless you program Halo 3, or maybe World of Warcraft, then you would have no where near the impact that these writers will have. How many Americans watch televsion. 200 million? How many use your software? 1, maybe 2? Not trying to be an ass, but you get the point.

yeah, and writers are already making more than me. not to mention i really doubt 200 million people watch the same show.

the lower class has their labor unions, the upper class have their representation, and the middle class gets shit on once again. i have no sympathy.

is this over yet can i not worry about heroes now

Contrary to what I said before, the strike may last quite a while, but only because the worst possible combinations of events has occurred. WGA essentially said "we'll strike it out until we get what we want" and AMPTP (against whom WGA is striking) said "we're not going to do anything until the strike stops."

Idiots, both of them.

The thing is that the whole situation is simply unjust. The studios and networks hog all the money and they treat the writers and the actual creative staff (arguably THE most important aspect of any show: the writing) like trash and relegate them to a barely surviving salary, and they expect to get away with it. It really has nothing to do with how much money someone else is making. Just that the distribution could be a lot better. And I think anyone who works and has a real input into their job and gets ripped by hierarchy could and should feel sympathy with that.

Though apparently some higher writing talents do get the requisite six figure contracts, what's irksome is the revenue flow. Hollywood and the music industry should've been crucified for their monopoly on the revenue a long time ago.

Amen. :smile:

the lower class has their labor unions, the upper class have their representation, and the middle class gets shit on once again.
But this is also true.

Hmm...

he lower class has their labor unions

I wish. I remember when I was younger, my mom worked at a place that assembles motorboats. The company decided to close down some factories and initially wanted to close the northern ones. The given reason for this is that the workers in the south were unable to join the unions, which originated up north, and because of this the southern factories operated cheaper and had a higher output(no union means you have to work a lot harder to keep your job).

The owner's lawyer informed him that the law says he has to shut non-union sites before he can close union ones, so he closes the one my mom works at with the promise that it would reopen as soon as he closed the union site. Unfortunately, the earlier lawyer had apparently overlooked the fact that the law said that the non-union site could not be reopened for 5 years after a union one was closed down. Apparently you can move your operations to India if you want, but not to Texas.

So my mom basically lost the first job she ever had that was actually going somewhere because the lower class definately do not have their labor unions. Not universally.

I don't hold sympathy for the writers, union factory workers, the "suffering" middle class(it's your own fault if you let yourself go into debt) or big movie studios. Go try living out of your car or a tent for a while. Then tell me of the woes of middle class life.