Mario & Sonic Beijing 2008

BardicKnowledge

Anyone who was on the fence about getting this game, buy it. The track stuff is decent, but the swimming and field exercises are absolutely great. I haven't unlocked any diving events yet, but I'm hoping that it will also be good.

Also, the line-up of playable characters for the game is outright impressive, as is having multiple referees from the two series (Charmy Bee and Espio were especially surprising to see).

To be honest, I'm a bit on the fence here because of two things: a) longevity and continuous interest of playing it, and B) other games that I'm more interested in. I really need to get Zack and Wiki and Disgaea for the PSP, so Mario and Sonic need to come last I suppose.

How's the game multiplayer-wise? Does it support 4 player simultaneous play in some of its events?

How's the game multiplayer-wise? Does it support 4 player simultaneous play in some of its events?

I haven't had the time to try it, but it appears that it does with the track and swimming events (I can confirm 2-player simultaneous play). Obviously on the field events you'll still have to take turns.

I dont may be the only one here that thinks this but... WHY???!!1 I mean come on... Sonic and Marios first game is a track game... What??? I mean... Why... The game could be great but, why... I dont get it...

on a real note.. hows the replay,, to me it seams like race, dive, race... meh. race. meh meh, meh.... Or are there a ton of unlockables... Maybe SSBB has spoiled me...

Its not even 2008.. just wanted to get that out...

I dont may be the only one here that thinks this but... WHY???!!1 I mean come on... Sonic and Marios first game is a track game... What??? I mean... Why... The game could be great but, why... I dont get it...

on a real note.. hows the replay,, to me it seams like race, dive, race... meh. race. meh meh, meh.... Or are there a ton of unlockables... Maybe SSBB has spoiled me...

Its not even 2008.. just wanted to get that out...

Track and Field. So while sonic may crush mario in the running events, Mario shall dominate in the jumping and throwing. It's balanced.

I played it so much yesterday, I hurt my arm. It ached for the remainder of the night.

What's great is that there's lots of events, and they all play pretty well. It's definitely a fun party game.

Unfortunately, the music from both series is limited to the music that plays in the gallery. You get 10 songs: Mario's songs are all stage songs from SMB 1, 3, and World, and Sonic gets music from Sonic 1 to Sonic & the Secret Rings, but it's still only 5 songs each. Would've been nice to have more, but meh... It's only for the gallery anyway.

The meat of the game is earning trophies by completing circuits. Circuits are 3 events each. The most fun my friends and I had was in the races (relay, rowing, 100m dash, etc), but archery was also a favourite.

All in all, a good time, but it would've been nice to see more goodies available for unlocking.