Child's Play... my thoughts (please share yours)

djpretzel

Shariq was suggesting OCR do something for Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/), as it seems www.vgmusic.com have with their addition of a banner to their homepage.

I don't want to start a huge argument or come off as an evil, uncaring bastard, but here's my concern:

I think the idea of the gaming community giving back to society is great, but when given the choice to give a Nintendo DS to a sick child, versus pay for medical care for sick children who can't afford it, or donate to research that could have prevented that child from being sick in the first place, my heart and mind go out to the latter causes.

Am I a bastard for thinking this? Am I a grinchy, bad man that doesn't want sick kids to play Phoenix Wright? I hope no one believes that of me... I just feel that if the gaming community is going to contribute - and there's huge potential for doing so - I'm not convinced that buying more games and game systems is the best approach.

I'd like to do something different... ideally, it'd be trackable, so we could see how much progress we were making... and have OCR promote one or more charities that actually pay for medical care or medical research, because in my opinion, those are more important causes.

I totally get and appreciate what PA are doing with CP, and since there's tons of charities out there, perhaps from a marketing perspective, it's more persuasive to gamers if the charity itself is donating games.

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts. If there's a service that proxies and tracks donations to combinations of charities on a per group basis, I'd love to do something like that for OCR, and coincide it with Child's Play. If everyone thinks my concerns about CP are dumb, that's cool, we'll do a banner and promote it instead. I'm totally open on this, I just see all those $$$ going to Nintendo DSs and think that, while it's great for gaming, there might be more direct ways to help...

THAT is what Child's Play is about? I thought it was gamers showing that we also have "souls" by donating to good causes so that negative stereotypes could not be made about us. I really should have read into that more when I first heard about it.

Donating a game to a child is stupid when, as you said, you could donate to save their life.

Donating a game to a child is stupid when, as you said, you could donate to save their life.

Well, I wouldn't say it's stupid... there are some kids with incurable diseases, and games would improve their quality of life to some extent, as my girlfriend pointed out. I just feel like focusing on JUST that isn't enough, and I'd rather do something more fundamental...

True, but at the same time the money spent could be used towards research trying to cure the disease that the child may be suffering from.

Do NOT get me wrong here. I believe giving a child happiness before he/she passes on is something noone can hate on, EVER, but when it comes to that versus donating money to researchers who are digging daily into so many things that might cure the disease so future children do not suffer from it, my money is going to go to the latter.

Just so that it's clear to everyone, they don't just donate video games, they donate toys in general.

I'm still thinking of an appropriate response beyond that.

That's an important point to make - if you give them cash, the gifts could be books or toys, not just games. They seem to emphasize games based on their relationship with Amazon and how their site is laid out, however.

WELL LIKE, THAT'S YOUR OPINION MAN.

I know what you mean. It's like giving canned food to homeless people who don't have the money for can openers.

Still, with charity, I think every type of person should contribute in their own way. Gamers give their old games, that makes so much sense. Especially since they spend all their money on games in the first place, so there's only the material aftermath to donate.

Donation is another way to make room in your house/apartment. Child's Play is a good way to get rid of old games or systems you don't play to make room for new stuff, leaving your old games to be enjoyed by someone new, and in Child's Play's case, someone who really needs to have a fun time. I wouldn't mind letting another kid enjoy Toejam and Earl or SoR2, since I haven't touched my Genesis in quite a while, and it would get more use out of someone else.

edit: took a while to formulate this post, didn't see any replies yet. I think a lot of you are misinterpreting how Child's Play works. It's not like you can either have "a new liver or a NDS," it's "here, have a free NDS while you wait on the list for a new liver." There are other organizations that help sick children in other ways, I'm sure.

Nah djp, I don't think you're grinchy badmen. Child's Play is definitely a unique and creative cause, but when you put it into perspective, I would rather give money that would go towards medical care or research that would potentially have a more long-term impact on the quality of life of children.

But if you wanted to take a cynical perspective, one could argue (I didn't say prove) that giving money to children's hospitals or research funds would not primarily/substantially go to the cause you want them to and may be siphoned off by bureaucracies and management. One aspect of why Child's Play may appeal is because donators feel sure that the systems and games they sponsor or contribute towards will end up in the hands of a sick child and not a middle manager.

Does that mindset promote long-term help for children? No, even though I agree that giving toward hospitals and research should be the better of the two choices. I'm not saying you wouldn't give due diligence, but in order to reassure the more cynical of potential donators if you indeed go the charitable route, it's critical that the proper research be done to make sure that any cause considered is very transparent with how donations are spent, and that you also provide access at one's fingertips to that information.

Medical research is a scam anyway. Most organizations don't actually want to find a cure for whatever it is they're dedicated to, because then they go out of business.

This is such a broad and ignorant statement that it's hard to even come up with a coherent response to it.

First of all, medical science in the last century has advanced considerably. Quality of life, especially in first world nations, has gone way up. Lifespans have increased. Countless diseases have been eliminated or reduced in threat to minimal levels.

Second, a good amount of medical research is carried about by researchers at universities or general hospitals using federal funds, and by nature, such entities don't "go out of business."

Third, medical research is highly regulated - directly by the FDA, and indirectly (in the case of for-profit organizations) by people that have financial interest in those businesses.

If you want to further debate this point, take it to PPR, don't post further about it here.

Well, the kids are sick for a reason, it may be that a cure for their particular disease has not yet been discovered or the particular child happens to be a special case, either way there are already tons of doctors and scientists working with tons of money on the medical side of all of this trying to help these children. I think organizations like CP and the Make-A-Wish Foundation are trying to provide these sick, and some terminally-ill, children with fun and pre-occupying activities as a kind of psychological relief from worrying about being sick. Take having a cold for example, it's not so bad to begin with, but if you spend the day in bed watching your favorites movies or playing a new game you picked up for your console then being sick can become one of the last things on your mind, and then the day is actually a lot better than it would have been if you had gone to work. I think that's the primary purpose of a lot of things, just to distract us from our sorrows. So I'm not against the idea of giving these children NDSs, if it gives them some peace of mind then that's really the best cure there is, all suffering is psychological suffering when it comes down to it.

EDIT: Plus, I bet staying at a clinic doped up on medications and little-to-nothing to do gets really freakin boring...

That's an important point to make - if you give them cash, the gifts could be books or toys, not just games. They seem to emphasize games based on their relationship with Amazon and how their site is laid out, however.

That's true, and not unexpected, given that it started with people who play video games. Perhaps one of us could send an e-mail to them asking if they could make it clearer that it isn't just video games that get donated? Because that would probably be a good idea. Glancing at some of the wish lists on Amazon, most seem to be things other than video games, though.

... Gamers give their old games...

Well, it says on the site that the hospitals can't accept used items. Some policy the hospitals have. However, selling them on Ebay and listing it with Child's Play can have the money donated to Child's Play.

I suppose since I'm the guy who suggested this, I should chime in.

I realize where Dave is coming from with his thoughts; yes, it's really important to donate towards research for cures. Child's Play, though, is about doing something more immediate for these sick kids. If you check out PA's letter's page (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/photosletters.php), you'll see that stuff like this is really important for helping kids who may not be terminally ill work through their illness. It's not a 'fuzzy feeling' charity my any stretch of the imagination.

Like someone else mentioned, it's a quality of life issue. It's one thing to be really sick, but it's even worse when you're really sick and really bored and have nothing to distract yourself with.

Yeah, it might be nicer to donate money towards research so that kids don't get sick in the first place, but how sure of a thing is that? People have been raising money 'for the cure' for decades, and while we've certainly made strides in disease treatment, I can't remember the last time we actually found a 'cure.'

In any case, I think that a charity as focused as Child's Play is a great thing. Lots of people raise money for medical research, but Child's Play is more about helping those kids here and now. I think OCR being involved, even in a small way, would be a great thing.

Well there goes my idea.

Kind of a bullshit policy but whatever.

Well, you have to understand, it's a hospital. Used items could expose already sick patients with whatever the previous user could've had. Sure, the people bringing those items in could do the same, but at least with new items all you have to clean is the packaging and not the item itself (which, in some cases, can't be completely cleaned).

It's similar to why they don't allow stuffed animals; they're a breeding ground for disease.

Having had lots of experiences in hospitals (as a volunteer and as a patient) I can totally see what Child's Play is for.

Hospitals are depressing places. The smell of disease is omni present. Its a bunch of boring walls, and you rarely hear anything other than machines beeping and children crying. Being sick is hard on a person. It is depressing, and in children, that feeling of boredom and powerlessness can really be harder than the disease itself.

Child's Play is unique. It tries to make hospitalization and disease easier for kids by taking their mind off of the disease. In the case of a kid with leukaemia, a game console can be the only entertainment they get between sessions of chemotherapy.

I can understand where giving to research charities seem to make more sense. In the future, a cure can prevent these long hospitalizations, however, today, as you will sit down in front of the television, keep in mind that in your local hospital, a kid is alone, in his hospital room, too weak to walk, or do anything else. What you take for granted is not easily accessible to these children.

Donate to the charity you want to donate to, but Child's Play is doing something extremely positive.

It's too bad they can't take used things -- I would happily donate my N64 and Gamecube (which is basically obsolete because of the Wii anyway) to something like this. However, if I'm going to donate money (and spending money to buy said consoles counts), then I would much rather donate to research. I do agree that Child's Play is an excellent cause doing very positive things. It's just one I wish I could donate physical materials instead of money.

As a site primarily composed of gamers, Child's Play is also a way for us to demonstrate that we as a larger community (of gamers in general, not OCR) are a bunch of positive people defying the images that mainstream media consistently stamp us with.

As far as a banner on the site, I certainly wouldn't mind it -- there's nothing wrong in my mind with encouraging people to donate to any charity doing positive things.

I'm really out of thoughts on the subject -- hopefully some of this was helpful.

I understand where you're coming from, mr Lloyd, and I wholeheartedly agree, but I also take in consideration what is the main goal of child's play, and that is to help kids with such illnesses to get through them more easily and try to give those kids some fun that they might not be able to have. This idea might seemb dumb on paper but think about it, they are kids, and for a kid whose parents don't have the money to both keep a pricey treatment and give them toys, this would really help them get through the harsh times.

If i put myself in the shoes of those kids, I can see myself really enjoying a gift such as these, If you remember the happiness you felt when you got your first console, and then you couple it with the thought of going through a harsh illness, then it kinda makes sense.

I would agree with supporting this cause, but also would be glad if we help in any other way, as you are suggesting.

Since I have built my entire life around having my cake and eating it too, why not do both?

Contribute to both Child's play (which from a cold hearted marketing standpoint would be a great boon for OCR's credibility and exposure) and some reliable medical charity.

Philosophically, when it comes to a choice of either/or, tell those people to fuck themselves and do both.... Then fuck their moms.