MEETUP: NYC Dec. 29th - PM for Cellphone #s!

Bahamut

I mentioned this before, but maybe with more people it'd be a possibility. Having heard about NYClan, I investigated it near the end of last summer. They had a number of stations set up and you could play any number of games. I elected not to play, but I had some great conversations with some of the regulars. I formally invited them to MAGFest. And it's not that far if you know where you're going (I sure as hell didn't the first time).

When did we ever go to opium dens before? Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen one, not to say that I've ever consciously went out to look for one before. But there are hookah bars that are sporadically located in Manhattan. They're always so desolate though.. not too sure how popular they are in general.

It's difficult to find a "home base" in NYC in general. I, again, could ask some of my friends, but they live out of the way. The time wasted for traveling would outweigh the benefits of having a place to store out stuff. We could always go to some helpful hotel and ask if they'll hold our stuff for us for a small fee. Someone could always call in and ask ahead of time. I believe there's a Holiday Inn near the corner of Lafayette and Canal that has fancy revolving doors and doormen. It's fairly large and they should have plenty of space in the their coat check for some bags maybe. If we're going to spend an extended period of time in Chinatown, might as well use that place. But if not, maybe some place around Grand Central would be more appropriate. First, we need to get a good estimate of how much stuff needs to be stored.

What other activites are there? New York has a lot to offer... if of cousre you're into that sort of stuff. I'm thinking that not a lot of people are into museums and architecture and most all of that jazz either. Admiring buildings from the outside in the cold can get rather unattractive very soon. There are some places that are noteworthy though, Washington Square Park, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Terminal, Chrystler and Empire State Building, and Times Square. There could be comedy clubs we can go to at night. Wintuk or any other live performance is free game as well. The New York City Ballet's The Nutcracker is playing then, but the 29th is considered to be a prime peak performance.. which only means bad news regarding the cash issue. This also goes for the Radio City Hall's Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes. Yes. Yes. I know how much everyone wanted to go. But it's 40 dollars for the cheapest seat on the 29th.

Statue of Liberty?

::shrug:: It's one of those things native New Yorkers never seem to do, and tourists always want to do. I don't know what cost is, but if it or crowds aren't prohibitively expensive I say we go for it.

In the winter time? I don't think it would be that crowded, but tourists do come at any time of the year. There is no cost for the Statue of Liberty, however, there is one for the ferry that takes you there. If you get a ticket to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, it will cost you about 12 dollars. I'm not too sure about Ellis Island, but it doesn't post a price anywhere. I thought it was similar to a museum and you might have to pay a small fee for admission, but I'm not too sure. It's a good idea though.

So, would Ellis Island really be a good trip to take? It's out of the way, and probably won't hold much value to anyone wanting to hang out. I would rather organize a group ticket purchase to a show like Wintuk than do that, personally speaking.

So far, the only thing I see people wanting to do is go to Chinatown Fair...come on, there's gotta be more interesting places of choice than that.

I have never been to the statue of liberty or any other famous new york city landmarks but any of them are terrible ideas. but don't look at me as any idea i have usually somehow involves drinking

does anyone know any cheap bars. my company sponsored an open bar right by penn station during the summer (Stout), but i have only been disappointed with the city since then.

I have never been to the statue of liberty or any other famous new york city landmarks but any of them are terrible ideas. but don't look at me as any idea i have usually somehow involves drinking

does anyone know any cheap bars. my company sponsored an open bar right by penn station during the summer (Stout), but i have only been disappointed with the city since then.

All bars are the same to me. But you can always go to McSorley's. That's a pretty established bar/restaurant. I dont' know if it's cheap or not. A favorite of some people I know is Central Bar on 3rd Ave around 16th St. or so. Other than that and St. Mark's Ale House... I have no idea where any other bars are, let alone cheap ones.

I just really eat in NYC nowadays. Aside from my uppity cultural trips to the museum and opera house/philharmonic... I don't know where else to go. Besides, I have no idea what everyone else is into. I think that going to Nintendo World is probably not a good idea. It was pretty swamped with people last time. If it were emptier, it would have definitely been a good place to chill. If people want to go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, then we should go rather than just sit around for long periods of time and do nothing. But remember, we'll be on a ferry, outside, in winter. I don't mind going at all. I can take pictures there.

I think that going to Nintendo World is probably not a good idea. It was pretty swamped with people last time.

Generally being downtown smack in the middle of the holiday season is an eighth level of hell as far as crowding; it just can't be helped no matter where we decide to go, and the larger our group, the more difficult it'll be to get around and hang out. Avoiding that as much as possible is always a priority with me.

I'm, of course, busy again, but I hope to help with a plan soon, and I still would like to see about getting my place ready for a select few of us, perhaps for overnight (I'm just a few blocks from Metro-North Fordham).