God of War - The Wrath of Kratos

Inv1ctus

Ok, well now that ive submitted Gagazet, i went ahead and continued work on this mix, so i figured id start a new thread for it (I killed the killer instinct mix for now).

I have a ton left to do with this song, but id like to get some feedback to help guide me through the process. My hardest thing to get right is EQ so please help me there if at all possible. Isolating frequencies turns out to be a royal pain in the ass.

Anyhow, imagine Kratos in the year 2043 or something. Im pretty much trying to idealize the sound track for a futuristic feel while still being organic but adapted.

Im thinking it borders more on a classical piece, which is why when i get my recording equipment working again, i want to integrate guitar work (heavily distorted).

Also, im thinking i want to add another techno-esque synth to bring it more into the new millennium.

EDIT: One more thing-i was thinking about was adding audio clips from the game between 2:27 and 2:30 where kratos would say ten thousand years... i have served the gods for ten thousand years... and then one other audio clip at 3:16 where he shouts ARIES!!!! i dunno. could be really good, could be bad.

The Wrath of Kratos

Thoughts?

I'm a fan of this mix, its well put together and I like the distortion vibes. My contribution to you would be what I remember from the GoW soundtrack. There was always a very high velocity low end, either from the gutteral grunts of the chorus or low timpanis, and its a very striking characteristic that I think would fit in this mix. Keep on working though, its overall quite nice and I'd love to see it on the site.

TIGHT Synth effects. Hybrid Synth/orchestral is always a good idea. There's not much going on here compositionally but it's still quite enjoyable. Starting around 3:21 you start to take things in an interesting direction, though it doesn't really have much relevance to the source. REGARDLESS love the groove, love the sound design. I'd suggest playing around a bit more with the harmonies through around, and maybe the phrasing of the melody [the rhythm of it]

I really enjoy the the layered harmonies around 0:20, more of that type of thing would be a step in the right direction.

ANYWAY KEEP ROCKING!

Okay first, I like your drumwork. Very cool dude. It's very nicely varied. The overall sound of it is nice and crisp. Just work on varying it up a little more, give it a little more detail work. I'd also suggest maybe having some more hybridish hits later in the song, really punchy, to emphasize the beat you already have going through most of the song (really sock us in the face with it)

Pump up your bass! I think you would do to layer it or something later on, to add more emphasis to later sections... Your song needs to feel fuller. You need to somehow bring out the lower and lower mid ranges out a little more without muddying everything up... I feel there needs to be a little more separation between ranges.

Song has great atmosphere though... So work on that, although, atm, your song kind of sounds like you have a compressor on the master channel or something... Work on a fuller sound.

A suggestion: some of your string sections could have little solos going on with solo instruments (soloing)... I'd suggest maybe a really cool violin playing some er... russianesque things up and down the scale (you know, like something from Schindler's list) I feel that'd fit in really well at like 2:04 ish... As you have nice drums going on... But nothing else. (besides that guitar synthy thing... which plays a perfect backup)

Anyway, atmosphere great... Drumwork nice.... Work on those strings a little more, automate their volume a little more and bring out more dynamic builds, you have some nice ones, but I think it could be done a little more.

Another suggestion: 3:10 ... maybe layer your main hit with another drum that doesn't have such a wet sound to it

I enjoyed this so far!

lemme see :-)

At first i thought this was going to be an orchestral remix, but now that i hear the percussion /drum-beat part, I'm really loving this. Sounds truly awesome, and you manage to drag me to the atmosphere. You've worked very much on the sampling of the drums, and that is REALLY important to me, because most mixers here don't care too much on how the drums sound.. they just use crappy midi samples.

Awesome synth usage.

Plus, cool break section.

On the other hand...I dun like the string samples at the beginning and in the very first seconds of the"break" part(not because they're not realistic.. but, they don't sound realistic when they change the note they're playing.)

Anyways, great work mate.