Starfox - 'Flying High' - Hybrid inspired Corneria mix.

ellywu2

Very cinematic... I think. Unlike the source, which is very "go get them!" action-like, this feels like a movie scene where the hero is flown in by helicopter to the place where he is to meet someone, at least the middle third of it. The first and last thirds feel more like a scene where the bad guys are planting bombs and stuff. Keep it up!

This is really good. The part from 1:49-2:14 kind of bugs me though. Too much low end overpowering everything else. The way the overdriven synth leads into that section makes it seem like it's supposed to be the huge upbeat climax section, but the balancing issues really kill the energy for me. Other than that, I really like this.

I thought the mix of orchestral and electronic instruments at the beginning and end was neat. I liked the piano near the end a lot.

I am not generally a fan of electronic music, due to a lot of it being very repetitive, but you managed to not get too bad with that.

That said, however, this suffers from the thing that plagues like 90% of Corneria mixes out there: You focused on the 2 measure phrase from the begining of the original song. Where is the rest of the song? A nice melody starts about 20 measures from the start of the song that I never heard. There is more to Corneria than those two measures. I know that phrase meshes well with the genre's fascination with eighth noes, but there is more material there.

Also, keep a check on those electronic instruments during the mixed parts. Sometimes they stuck out of the orchestra sound and it ruins the balance and causes the synth to sound out of place.

Also, the ending left me hanging. You had set up a path to a destination towards and after the climax (which I haven't seen too much in these kinds of mixes), but then you just stopped. Give it a final destination.

A lot of these mixes (that don't pass the panel at least) have a lack of musicianship. They are thrown together by someone hooked on bass-n-beats. But, in your case, I sense a kernel of musicianship at the core of this piece. Tap into it more. You have the beat down and the parts hashed out, now finish it. Fix the balance, maybe add more of the original song, and PLEASE write a real ending.

It doesn't matter if you are doing orchestral stuff of electronic stuff, always, always, use your musical sense, musical ear, and musical judgment to it's full capacity.

I think 0:12 should be the beginning of the song, or maybe do a little more with the intro, to me it sets up a preconception about the piece that doesn't match what really happens.

At 1:11 the phased effect flips suddenly into the high frequencies, sounds odd to me, smooth it out possibly?

Everything else blows me away, great work!

Very cool use of synths and orchestra! But where's the rest of the song? I feel like this is one long build up and I keep waiting for the main chorus and later sections of the OST to come in and they never do. I'd say, bring in the other parts of the OST towards the middle of the track and wait to revisit the bowed strings and stabs from the intro section until later in the song.

Really great stuff. I'm sorry I can't say more rigt now becaues I don't quite have the time. But the most blaring thing for me is a NEED FOR A PHAT BASS! When I think Hybrid, I think orchestral build-up (which you have, nice work!) to glitchy transition, introduction of a really crunchy bass, then the incorporation of both orchestra and bass. Just my two cents. Nice shizzz!!