OCR01645 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: II. Fuga Kefka"

djpretzel

I rather liked this remix. My favorite parts would have to be the violin solo starting at 1:12 and leading into the main theme at 1:40, as well as the organ from 3:37-4:25. Very neat, solid interpretations of the theme. I think the organ reminded me of a sort of

/Phantom of the Opera-esque gothic love-child, whereas the stringed solo reminded me more of something from Queen of the Damned. Both are very dark, twisted, and rather fitting for one so insane.

I think any complaints I have with the piece stem directly from the choir, and not from the manner in which it was written, as that is very, very true to the original style of the piece and the period it was inspired by. Namely, anal-retentive nitpicking that I've picked up from having an amazing choral professor as my choir director, such as restatement of the vowels on slurred notes, less force on higher pitches (particularly in the soprano parts), and lack of enunciation (which tends to make lyrics more distinguishable).

But, I also notice that those small things (because they are rather small when faced with the quality of the piece as a whole) are almost entirely (if not completely) related to samples. Either way, I understand that there's very little you can do about them (and I wouldn't expect you to, seeing as they are already phenomenal compared to many samples out there), so it hardly detracts from my respect of the remixers or my enjoyment of the piece as a whole.

All in all, amazing work. I'm really looking forward to hearing the next one.

Excellent work on this, guys. As a huge fan of the original Dancing Mad, I truly appreciate your efforts. This part was, in my opinion, way better than the first one, particularly in terms of 'feeling' and the dynamics of the arrangement.

In general, though, I agree with the criticism of others. The song somewhat lacks the energy of an authentic orchestra; all the instruments are 'floaty' and the percussion is barely audible. The choir sounded good enough, but the repetitive lyrics really got to me - the "Kyrie, eleison!" articulation in particular cut through the soundscape like an ear-piercing knife. It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn’t repeated ad nauseam in the latter parts of the song. In terms of arrangement, it's a mixed bag. I loved the intro with Terra's theme, and that has to be the best Tier 2 ending I have ever heard. Darker themes = good. Tier 3 was interpreted wonderfully as well. Unlike the first part, this struck a good balance between dreading menace and beautiful symphonic qualities. The original parts were not quite as good, though. So far, it has only been the very first part of Kefka's theme that is arranged. I'm not saying it's not symbolic of the character, but there is more to the song than that.

It’s all good, of course! This is constructive criticism!

Also, I take it from your comments that you're going to do the final part next? I'm looking forward to it - it will be interesting to see how you tackle such an originally liberal arrangement of Kefka's theme. I hope for some clever ‘references’ (Like Terra in this one).

Wow. Love this piece!!! Time for a breakdown.

Love the violin solo around 1:15 or so. This is my favorite part of the second movement of the original Dancing Mad. I have to say that at 1:36 totally caught me off-guard. That part in the original is solo organ, so hearing the totally evil timpani/horn/strings, (whatever all is there) come in added an unexpected, yet pleasant twist. In fact the whole accompaniment of that section (originally just a solo) is awesome.

Do my ears deceive me, or does a horn come in just a shade early at the hit at 1:48?

Timpani roll --> chime hit. Very nice. Don't ask why :P

For some reason, when I listen to the original, and then back to this piece, where the third movement comes in here (1:58ish) it sounds a LOT brighter and happier. It may just be because it's in the higher register, where in the original, the organ starts off much lower.

2:09 where that triangle comes in... I realize it needs to be loud enough to be heard, but it seems unnaturally and unnecessarily loud.

Love the chords from 3:30 to 3:37ish.

Nice organ credenza (3:37-4:20ish), which I believe was the original purpose of the third movement.

Starting at 5:44 to the end sounds horribly dirge-like and foreboding. Especially like the rumblings and the timpani hits along with the choir/orchestra. Love the ending. Love the piece. Great work, guys!

As for the parts that sound chaotic or "muddy," I like 'em. Before I even read any kind of write-up or review on this piece (I got my copy way back when it was first completed... whenever that was) I thought that this was a perfect depiction of the violently volatile Kefka.

Again, Awesome work.

This completely surpassed my expectations. I dare say its even better than your first Cantata. This time around I think the overall piece is more dynamic and emotive, particularly in the solo areas. I agree that the choral work isn't perfect, but it is still effective in articulation and intonation. I truly enjoyed this piece.

I think this piece is superbly done. The greatest testament to its triumph would be to play it to a classical connoisseur that's familiar with styles but not all the works and have them wonder which Bach fugue it was.

Honestly this is the kind of thing I would get a kick out of playing in the background at a snobbish party. If anyone made a comment about not being familiar with the material I would simply smirk and say "Then perhaps you aren't familiar with all the masters..."

Great job!

• 2 weeks later...
One question I do have is what organ did you guys use to produce the solo in Fuga Kefka? It's VERY awesome, full, very realistic and I would want to use it myself in my compositions. Thank you

Laura

Hello Laura,

We used a combo of two organs. The first was the Garritan Organ and the other was a free organ called G-town pipe organ. Together they brought out the best in each other in a big and full sound which is why we liked it so much :razz: Thanks for the support!

-Derek-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So when is the next movement of this lovely Cantata coming out?? I feel like I want to hear more :)

Hello again Laura. Honestly I really can't say. Jeremy and I are currently working on a Final Fantasy 8 piece that we're going to submit to OCR in the next couple of months. We will continue the Cantata but whether or not the remaining movements will be posted here is still under debate. Thanks for your support and Happy New Year!!!

-Derek-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think most of the critics been geven and you don't need mine anymore.

Just wanna point out that some of the pitches sung by the basses is as good as impossible. I sing in a choir myself as bass and can tell that the lowest pitches in this remix can be sung, but it would sound very, very soft. It's just not possible at the volume you present it. Or you should have a lot of low bass singers, but those are quite rare really.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh whats this? Liquid orgasm in a song? Droplets of Ambrosia colored color? Or perhaps an awesome heart shattered into a thousand pieces, the reformed to make one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Should there be a reason to keep remixing, this is it. I mean, this blows the original out of the water. Never have I felt so enthralled, so inspired, so in love with a song. Some moments built up to a fantastic jubilee that ascended my soul. I say sir, awesome remix.

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a well-informed arrangement. Noone could ever accuse the mixers of being lazy, that's for sure. This is the extreme opposite of a phoned in mix.

A really full, rich mix with some of the strongest roots of influence on the entire site. The authenticity here is stellar, and while I don't mean that it sounds exactly like a 80 piece orchestra with 100 person choir, it does sound like it was ripped from the 1700s, had there have been mixing equiptment and software available during that time.

Obviously the choir doesn't reach the uncanny valley, which it sounds like some people would have preferred, but you know, we are at OCR. I think we can all appreciate the skill and sound of something that doesn't precisely meet its grand potential. And anyway, I think the sounds absolutely fantastic. Some parts sound spot on to my ears, and that more than exceeds my expectations.

I love how smart this is and I love the obvious passion for this type of music, which is gradually becoming more and more irrelevant to people these days, which is a great shame. Sometimes throwing subtle influence out the window is the best thing to keep certain flames alive, and there's no better flame to save than great music. Well done.

• 10 months later...

I love orchestral music and particularily organs. I once took lessons myself, never went very far though, oh well. As for torticoli's post previous, I fear that if ever their truely was a God he left after discovering the OBINATION that is Humanity. The omnipotent beings here are clearly Derek and Jeremy.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01645 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: II. Fuga Kefka"