OCR01645 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: II. Fuga Kefka"

djpretzel

I'm not really sure how to feel about this arrangement. I think the concept is good, but I don't feel the execution is very tight. The first thing I noticed about it is that I couldn't find a discernible fugue anywhere in there. I listened to it a good few times through just to see if I could point out any voices, but I really couldn't. If that's the case I would recommend changing the title to "Fugato Kefka" meaning in the style of a fugue, but not in the traditional sense of a strict fugue. Generally, I feel the piece isn't very cohesive. I feel that it jumps too quickly from one idea to the next. Some of the thematic ideas are really good, but I feel that they don't get explored at all and the whole thing feels pretty disjointed to me. I could show specific points, but I don't want to nitpick. One last thing. Orchestration bothers me. The brass seems too overpowering and some of the percussion is a little wonky. Overall, I thought it was a really good effort and I really wanted to like this, but it just missed the mark for me. =(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
How do the lyrics pertain to Kefka? "Grant unto them eternal rest/Lord, have mercy"? And the second line doesn't even seem to have been translated (Morte aeterna), or is it translated in the third line?

What we wanted to portray was the suffering of the people Kefka had effected. "Lord Have Mercy" is the translation of the bulk of the latin in this piece which is Kyrie eleison Since Kefka is portrayed in the game as a "God" we thought that this would ring home true to what everyone would pray for.

My apologies. After reading a bio of Kefka I realized how little I actually knew about him. I should've looked into his story more before making my remarks on the lyrics. They make more sense in that context. I'm still curious about what "Morte aeterna" means. Eh. Nevermind. Just looked it up. "Eternal death":

"Grant unto them eternal rest

Eternal death

Lord, have mercy!"

Definitely a song fit for Kefka. The ironic thing is you say you'd think they'd pray for him to grant them eternal rest (eternal death) to end their suffering at his hand, but the God of mainstream Christianity is portrayed as endlessly torturing souls in hell. It's no wonder many become atheists or agnostics. But is it an accurate picture of Him?

Hats off to very deep lyrics

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01645 - Final Fantasy VI "Cantata for Dancing: II. Fuga Kefka"