CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 14: Dreams and Visions

Abadoss

All entries are posted! Time to vote!

{edit} - I added Gimgak and virtualshock's pieces, as they were victim to unfortunate circumstances in the submission process. Anyway, to avoid similar instances, please always e-mail me at my Yahoo account (Abadoss@yahoo.com). I will now be including that in the rules and such. Please listen to these two pieces, along with all the others and vote accordingly.

Hmm, I was just looking over the songs.. and Johnny Burt's song had:

" 00000E28 00000FC0 00010D77 00" under his ID3v1 tag and under encoded he had "iTunes v6.0.5."

It raises a lot of suspicion...

To ease suspicions, I had to use Itunes to convert my wav file to MP3 since I'm working on a new mac and don't have access to NERO file converter and I didn't like the sound quality of Cubase's exported MP3s. :P If anyone knows of a good file converter for mac let me know.

Yeah I deserved last place, especially for poking fun at Argitoth >_<. Next run I'll try not to be as stupid when making the CMC. I'm glad you didn't get mad at me though Elan :D, even though I got a bit carried away there. Thanks for the honorable mention =D. Every one else did wondefuly, I especially liked Blue.Nocturne's renditon, grats all.

I'm really surprised that I won. There were a lot of good entries, so I thought that I lost for sure.

To HoboKa: Even though you lose, I feel that you are getting better and better each time. These contests are about practicing composition and improving. Abadoss doesn't throw cash at the winner, so it's best to have fun and learn new ways/styles of composition. For your case, I think you need to work a lot on fine-tuning tone and texture of your pieces. You have a lot of good ideas, but your pieces are usually a tad too loud and hit the "red zone" on volume. FL has a little volume meter at the top and usually when it fills up all the way (it looks red when that loud), the sound begins to crackle and pop due to it being too loud. Also try playing around with velocity a lot, even a centimeter of velocity difference between notes can make the whole song sound a lot better.

To Johnny Burt: Sorry about the suspicion, I never knew iTunes left such a strange imprint with the 00000E28 and stuff. Usually songs ripped from games have marks like that, and since your piece was pretty well made, it seemed like a possibility.

To Numegil, Gimgak, larsdood: I really like your pieces and seriously thought I'd lose to one of you. Numegil has this really amazing ambient thing going on and it is really theme fitting. larsdood set up a really crazy beat and it really felt nightmarish. Loved all the effects and filters that you used. Gimgak's song has really great balance and the melody was also very strong. One of the most addicting techno songs I have heard yet.

All in all, good job everyone.

O yeah and Sytrus Oort Cloud is the win.