WCT - The Writing Competition Thread [Short Story Results]

Imagist

Kholdstare - Semiconductor

<3

^_^ *grins* i had to laugh writing that - I was in a waiting room and I was sequentially removing tech from my backpack - laptop, power cord, tablet (with mouse and pen), headset. I kinda felt a little awkward - but playing starcraft was worth it :P

I ended up writing that little blurb as a result.

OK people, what's with this trend of trying to sound like you're writing from another time period?

Aha, yeah. I think it's a result of what I've been exposed to, mostly. Poetry is most certainly my weak-suit, so I tend to copy what I've read, and what I've read is the old stuff.

Anyway, congrats guys. I'm definitely pleased with third place, especially since my last poetry entry earned me nothing but the proverbial wooden spoon award. :P

woooo bringing another one home.

In all fairness though, most of the complaints against my poem are legit.

It IS anachronistic, it IS a bit pretentious, but that's why I wrote it. I tend to poke fun of my more serious pieces with their "old school holier-than-thou" attitude myself. One of my older winning pieces was entitled with tongue in cheek, "Waxing Eloquent".

But on the other hand, they generally take a good bit of work and effort to get going. I do it more for the artistry of it then to get any super meaning out of it. Yes, the topic of the poem was cliche, but that wasn't the point. The point was for me to work with flowery language with an established rhyme scheme and meter. (I failed at certain points tbh, this is not the finished version of this poem. I'm still revising it.)

But yah, I LIKE old school poetry more than I like new school poetry. There is something to be said for people who were really MASTERS of the english language. I'm no master, but things like this that I write on my own with my own personal rhyme scheme and an established meter are experiments that I hope will bring me closer to doing exactly what I want to do with poetry, and that is saying exactly what I want to say. Most people have no idea exactly how hard that is to do.

Anyway, great turnout folks! Lets hope the competition keeps growing :D

I don't think that there aren't masters of English around anymore, but that more recent writing hasn't had time to be put through any serious filters. Older poetry is pretty much all cream of the crop if people are still talking about it centuries after it was written.

I don't think that there aren't masters of English around anymore, but that more recent writing hasn't had time to be put through any serious filters. Older poetry is pretty much all cream of the crop if people are still talking about it centuries after it was written.

That's 'cuz time itself is a serious filter. The good poetry from the past survives while the crap is long forgotten.

That's 'cuz time itself is a serious filter. The good poetry from the past survives while the crap is long forgotten.

That and we don't have that advantage. Its hard to compare centuries old anything with whats new. We don't have the forsight to see what will be well studied and known years from now. For all we know kids in classic american music 101 will be studying Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird, Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, and Birdman's Shine on.

That said, one of these days I should enter my own work...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... July's freeform competition is already sneaking up on us, everyone. The competition begins this weekend, and as I'm going to be out of town and probably not hawking the internet, I'm going to wish everyone good luck now. One thing: I'm probably going to shave a couple days off the submission and voting phases this time, for reasons I'll explain later. I'll be adding the dates in the first post as usual.

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but not to OCremix. I've been checking out the music here for three or four years, and when I saw this writing competition going on, I thought I'd get involved. I'm cooking up something as we speak! I recently graduated from Kenyon college with a BA in English and a concentration in Irish Literature, so I might be tilting my writing into that vein, but then I'm a gamer too, so expect a little of the fantastical. Can't wait to see everyone's submissions!

Hello! We're glad to have you. I've always enjoyed Irish literature and James Joyce is one of my favorite authors not of the last 50 or so years, so I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm not writing in Joyce's style, mostly because it's so individual and extremely difficult to replicate. It's my own style of writing, hopefully folks will see what I'm trying to get at. 8-O (Little nervous as it's my first competition submission. Lots of editing/revising!)

(Little nervous as it's my first competition submission. Lots of editing/revising!)

Don't be nervous. I never edit/revise! :tomatoface:

Actually I do it while I write and I know it's a horrible habbit, but I don't give myself time to go back to these things when I finish a first draft. Horray for procrastination!

I've started writing a script for a tv pilot and while that's technically admissable in this freeform edition of the competition, I think it will end up being rediculously long for what we're doing here because of the formatting.

I'll just have to come up with something else later.

Yeah, except for a few times when Imagery has either gotten confused or forgotten to update the first post, the first post has always had the up-to-date information on the competitions.

I've just started writing my entry for this competition. It's going to be hard for me to write, though... I'm trying to base my entire entry around its title, and the title doesn't make much sense by itself as it is. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something good.

except for a few times when Imagery has either gotten confused or forgotten to update the first post

Oh come now, I've never forgotten to update... :oops:

Anyway, I hope everyone is still hard at work, or at least thinking about being hard at work, you know, sometime soon... There's just about two weeks left to submit, so don't forget the deadline's a few days earlier this time around! I've been working on a couple different things and I'm really not sure where either is going or which one I'll go with yet, so hopefully I get that sorted out in time to really refine my choice, considering I haven't done so well on the whole "feeling satisfied to post my submission" front during the past few contests. If not, HO well!