Is this a Song from Chrono Trigger? 11/16-JUSTICE IS SERVED

Maximum

wow....isn't this kind of er...blatant? I mean it's good and all, but many ppl are bound to recognize this lol.

Oh and way to change the name from Schala to Chala...owned. lol

While Chrono Trigger might be "mainstream music" and easily recognizable for the gaming music community, a track from an snes video game probably isn't going to be recognized by most regular listeners. With that in mind, I guess it can't be too surprising that something like this goes by relatively unnoticed.

While Chrono Trigger might be "mainstream music" and easily recognizable for the gaming music community, a track from an snes video game probably isn't going to be recognized by most regular listeners. With that in mind, I guess it can't be too surprising that something like this goes by relatively unnoticed.

its just kinda hurting that he's gonna get all the credit and not squaresoft =/ - at least we praise the original composers here...and don't make profit for it.

Anyone else concerned that he's actually getting a record deal out of this?

I like how he refers to his benefactor, DJ Tiesto, as "the world's #2 DJ."

I don't think that's his own opinion, but rather the outcome of that one stupid "Teh Wurld's Best DeeJay Evurr"-contest.

But geez, despite the fact I dislike Square for canning the fan-made Chrono Trigger remakes, I think they really ought to be notified of this rip-off. Funny how the song's quality seems to rise tenfold once Schala's theme comes in.

It's a well-made piece all the way through, I think. The main section, though, contains both the melody and harmony of "Schala's Theme."

It's a little disconcerting not to see mention of an outside composer. He did mention it in the title, which shows that he's aware of where it came from. Maybe it's mentioned in the liner notes somewhere.

Anyway, we all know. People who know game music or played Chrono Trigger probably know too.

He would owe money to the copyright holders if he revealed where it came from, so he's probably going to play it safe and deny where he got the idea. Just another musician who found a loophole in the system, I'm afraid.

I think he'd have a tough time denying this in court, it definitely isn't a loophole if the ripped off part is 99% verbatim with the original. Heck, even the name of the song shows where he got the idea, if Square were to settle it in court I'm pretty sure the judge would rule he'd have to pay.

I think you're using the term "loophole" incorrectly, a loophole is when you exploit something in the law to do something that might otherwise be illegal, but due to the loophole, is not.

If someone broke into your car at night and stole your CD player, I wouldn't say that they "found a loophole", I'd say they committed a crime and just haven't been caught yet.

Anyway, I emailed this guy's record label to bring the issue to their attention. If they reply with indignance or if they say they don't care, I'll say something ot the effect of, "Then you won't mind if I tell all the producers I know that it's OK to rip off songs from your label, not give you credit, and not pay you royalties. Thanks!"

EDIT: Mustin beat me to it.

That depends on your definition of the legal system when it comes to music. Yeah, what he's doing is illegal, but the loophole, whether or not he is aware of it, is that no one cares... yet. I can name several composers who do this exact same thing, most of them high-profile, but again, who else but me cares or even notices such things? It took Gustav Holst's descendants years to go after Hans Zimmer for that Gladiator incident.

I'm not referring to the exploitation of the legal system, but the exploitation of people's knowledge and understanding of the creative process.

Zircon: I understand your analogy, but the difference is that no one knows it's a crime until they are told. It's a painstaking process to determine whether or not a crime was even committed, and in many cases might not even have been intentional.

Well the situation hasn't been really played out yet, it could very well happen that someone notifies Square about it, and they take appropriate measures. I think it could be considered a loophole if there were truly no possible way to persecute him with any success, which is not the case. Ah well, guess it all comes down to definition of 'loophole'. Edit: beaten to it

Slightly offtopic, but I have a question in a similar vein as the rest of this thread (copyright issues and all). Let's say that hypothetically I have a remix posted on OCR (yeah right). What if I take this remix, remove most, if not all references to the source material ( of course the remix would have to be appropriate to allow this, but let's assume it is), replace those with original melodies etc. and then release it as an original song on a commercial album.

Let's also say that the final song wouldn't sound anything like the original source tune, but it would be almost the same as the posted OCRemix, and definitely recognizable as such. Is this legal or illegal?

"It depends" is the best answer... intent is a key factor in determining infringement. A court will be much less lenient if they can prove you were intentionally trying to rip off another work. If you just coincedentally ended up sounding like something else, they will be more lenient - though there is a point where the songs are so close they may say "this is too much for coincedence to account for."