Is this a Song from Chrono Trigger? 11/16-JUSTICE IS SERVED

Maximum

I was actually mostly referring to 'ripping off' one of your own remixes, i.e. most instruments in the commercial release would sound exactly the same as your remix, except they would all play (mostly) original melodies. I was unsure about this because I thought I had read somewhere that by submitting a remix you're basically giving OCR a certain degree of 'ownership' over your mix, but that might just have been a figment of my imagination I guess...

Well the situation hasn't been really played out yet, it could very well happen that someone notifies Square about it, and they take appropriate measures. I think it could be considered a loophole if there were truly no possible way to persecute him with any success, which is not the case. Ah well, guess it all comes down to definition of 'loophole'.

Maybe "exploitation" would have been a better word for me to use. Either way, it will be interesting to see if Square goes after him, because from what I've seen nothing really happens.

What if I take this remix, remove most, if not all references to the source material ( of course the remix would have to be appropriate to allow this, but let's assume it is), replace those with original melodies etc. and then release it as an original song on a commercial album.

You would be just like any other composer who has trouble coming up with original ideas. I think most people are concerned with melodic similarity, and once you eliminate that factor, you're perfectly safe. You would join the ranks of several of my favorite film composers who do just that.

Interesting how it looks like the album itself is called Chala, not the song. The song title has nothing to do with Schala. Nevertheless, decent song.

EDIT: Look closely at the album art there - there are four tracks on this album all ending in "mix" or "remix". I wonder if all four are remixes of Schala? Would make sense, given the album title.

EDIT 2: Indeed - I just listened to the CHALA disjointed mix on there. It's also a Schala remix, though the original material is only there very briefly. So yeah, all four tracks on this album use the Schala theme, I'd imagine.

Very strange.

Though nothing legal is going to happen. This all happened in 2006(?) What is he doing now?

Note: zircon and Tensei-San I TOTALLY PWND YOU* WITH MY FAST DEFINITION SKILLZ!!11 FEAR!

*Though I loved zircon's car stereo "loophole" example - it's perfect and hilarious and made me lol because it's something you'd hear about in a newspaper

Are you referring to the definition of song involving something that is sung? I've tried to stop misusing the term too, substituting "piece" most often. There should be a more specific term, I think, but I don't know what it is.

I thought "Chala" was just a single of his. Single discs usually have alternative versions of the piece on them, so I'll bet that's the deal with the "this-or-that mix" naming scheme.

If he liked the piece enough to publicly name his arrangement after the original, why didn't he mention it anywhere? It's as if that Kanye West version of "Harder Better Faster Stronger" had no mention of Daft Punk beside it.

It's too bad he doesn't put forth the effort to write original material -- the beats at the beginning didn't sound bad, and he could have gone somewhere with it that would have been successful without Schala's theme.

This is what's so mind-boggling about some ripoffs you hear these days, which causes me to believe some composers are consciously testing the waters of how far they can take their laziness. It takes all but 10 seconds to change around a few notes to make something original, but the fact that people aren't putting in that kind of effort suggests some other reason, for instance, they might think they're making some kind of homage to the original composer. If that's the case, I'd understand: why only half-rip someone off when no one is holding your feet to the fire anyway??

Let's say that hypothetically I have a remix posted on OCR (yeah right). What if I take this remix, remove most, if not all references to the source material ( of course the remix would have to be appropriate to allow this, but let's assume it is), replace those with original melodies etc. and then release it as an original song on a commercial album.

Let's also say that the final song wouldn't sound anything like the original source tune, but it would be almost the same as the posted OCRemix, and definitely recognizable as such. Is this legal or illegal?

I would like to think that it wouldn't be illegal - but then again John Fogerty was sued for sounding too much like himself.

(in that he recorded an album at record label one, moved to record label two, recorded new music at record label two, and record label one sued because one of the songs on record 2 sounded "too much like" a song from record 1. Even though they were both completely original songs that he himself wrote.)

So, um, I would recommend not reworking a remix into an original piece for profit. It might backfire.

I would like to think that it wouldn't be illegal - but then again John Fogerty was sued for sounding too much like himself.

(in that he recorded an album at record label one, moved to record label two, recorded new music at record label two, and record label one sued because one of the songs on record 2 sounded "too much like" a song from record 1. Even though they were both completely original songs that he himself wrote.)

So, um, I would recommend not reworking a remix into an original piece for profit. It might backfire.

Hah, so I still haven't had a definitive answer on this. :D

OCR is not a recording company or anything, so I don't think what you described could in fact happen, I just wasn't entirely sure to what degree your material belongs to OCR after you submit it, but the content policy does seem to have an answer on this.

YOU are free to distribute and/or license these materials elsewhere, so long as they are not attributed to OverClocked ReMix, and such distribution or licensing does not conflict with the terms of this agreement. OverClocked ReMix maintains sole control of the distribution of materials under its name, as designated by "OC ReMix" in track titles, the "OC_ReMix" file suffix, or other indicators clearly establishing attribution of works to OverClocked ReMix.

I think that means it is legal, but I still don't think I'd do it unless I was really desperate to have a song/tune/piece/track done in an extremely short time-span.

The guy at Montano's label emailed me back and seemed at least partially concerned. He said he'd ask Montano about it AND asked me for the original tune, so I sent that to him.

Pretty quick turn-around from the label I'd say. Keep us updated if they send anything else.

Listening to the song, it seems like it'd be pretty simple to change around the melody at least a little bit to make it an original piece. Judging by the name of the song, though, it sounds like he wants someone to figure out what it's from, but perhaps didn't consider the repercussions.