Is this a Song from Chrono Trigger? 11/16-JUSTICE IS SERVED

Maximum

Think Vanilla Ice's "Oh it's a different bass line cause we added a note to it." defense for his answer to ripping off Queen for Ice Ice Baby.

Oh so he's ripped off Chrono Trigger because he uses something that sounds like the midi-strings from Chrono Trigger to play a totally different melody? I think the sample is from a completely unrelated song to boot :/

3) What bias? Your huge ignorant bias towards rap.

I'm sorry. There's only so many times you can hear "Smoke a joint, fuck dem ho's, and kill the police" before you start to realize that all they write about is hate. The fact they can't even make their own music anymore just rubs it in. And all they talk about is how hard life on the street is, and that we don't know what it's like growin up in da hood, yet they now have these millions of dollars and instead of helping make da hood better, just just propogate the problem by glorifying it. You don't know how many hood rat gangsta wannabe's with all the fake gold chains and pants worn around their knees walking around my town trying to talk some Blood/Crip game and represent the hood yo that I see everyday. It's fucking sickening. There is no "Game: t play other than the one they've been led to believe exists by this retarded genre of music.

Rap is NOT retarded, no matter whether you're talking about it as a genre or as a musical technique, there is a good side to it, you just haven't been exposed to it. That'd be like saying Rock is retarded because all they do is make whiney three-chord songs. Judging a whole musical genre based on the stuff you see on MTV is the only thing that's retarded here. Try actually listening to what is considered good rap/hiphop before you make generalizations like that.

Edit: Also, Red Mage FTW!

Rap is NOT retarded, no matter whether you're talking about it as a genre or as a musical technique, there is a good side to it, you just haven't been exposed to it. That'd be like saying Rock is retarded because all they do is make whiney three-chord songs. Judging a whole musical genre based on the stuff you see on MTV is the only thing that's retarded here. Try actually listening to what is considered good rap/hiphop before you make generalizations like that.

Edit: Also, Red Mage FTW!

I have. I'll give Eminem his props though. He raps about the same shit, but he puts some humor in it, I'll give him that. Other than that, it's all pretty much the same. Tell me what I've missed that would educate me otherwise.

Tell me what I should consider "Good Rap".

Get yourself educated on the old school. Learn the fucking roots.

You are pretty much a lost cause, so I am done posting to you about this. You are too damn thick headed and ignorant towards anything that you obviously do not like, so what is the fucking point.

No, no. I want to know what I've missed. I've done Snoop, Dre, Busta, 50 Cent, Ghostface, DMX, Lil Kim, etc....obviously I've missed one somewhere. I've missed the one artist that can change my entire world view on rap, and I'd like to know who it is.

I have. I'll give Eminem his props though. He raps about the same shit, but he puts some humor in it, I'll give him that. Other than that, it's all pretty much the same. Tell me what I've missed that would educate me otherwise.

Tell me what I should consider "Good Rap".

From the oldies I suggest

, Public Enemy, possibly
if you don't mind the proto-gangsta-rap lyrics. From the newer hiphop groups I can only really think of Outkast. I don't listen to hiphop very often, but I have heard some amazing contemporary underground stuff on youtube, I'm sure someone around here has a decent knowledge of the underground hiphop scene and can suggest some artists. Also http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01424/

If you didn't like anything of that, I give up, you're a lost cause indeed :P

I'll admit RunDMC is good. Outkast, meh, never considered them talented. "I'm sorry Miss Jackson" on the radio 45 times a day may have had something to do with that. But Run, LL Cool J, Young MC, and other's from the 80's don't quite fit the mold of modern rap. That is the problem I have. Old school and new school are entirely different. Newschool, to my exposure, just wants to " smoke joint's, fuck ho's, kill five-o". Am I the only one who notices the distinction?

Yah, Outkast can get annoying if you've heard it too often, but nevertheless I really consider them to be pretty much the pinnacle of what's being played on commercial radio (not that that's saying much). It's too bad I really have next to zero knowledge of the non-mainstream stuff, I have heard some of it and it was very good. I think one of the groups was called Jedi Mind Tricks. =/

I do admit mainstream hiphop and rap in the US is pretty much stagnant. Now if you could understand Dutch hiphop that'd be a whole other story :)

Hah, you won't understand the lyrics, but I think you can get a good feeling for the beat, I tried to find some songs with english vocals, but there's no real noteworthy ones :/

(this song was actually remarkably relevant, the first thing he says is "Everything's Urban, I miss the basic hiphop shit", he also supposedly made the
)

(Ignore or skip the intro :P)

(FYI their name means " Today's youth" or "Contemporary Youth" )

Also: This thread is now about hiphop :)

I'm sorry. There's only so many times you can hear "Smoke a joint, fuck dem ho's, and kill the police" before you start to realize that all they write about is hate. The fact they can't even make their own music anymore just rubs it in. And all they talk about is how hard life on the street is, and that we don't know what it's like growin up in da hood, yet they now have these millions of dollars and instead of helping make da hood better, just just propogate the problem by glorifying it. You don't know how many hood rat gangsta wannabe's with all the fake gold chains and pants worn around their knees walking around my town trying to talk some Blood/Crip game and represent the hood yo that I see everyday. It's fucking sickening. There is no "Game: t play other than the one they've been led to believe exists by this retarded genre of music.

The Roots

Common

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

De La Soul

Jurassic 5

A Tribe Called Quest

The Pharcyde

Please spend some time listening to these artists. Hip-hop isn't a one-trick pony. I'm sorry you don't like the modern stuff but there should be some stuff in here that you enjoy immensely.

Listen to Smash Mouth - Pacific Coast Party. They copied [the "Secret of the Forest"] Chrono Trigger melody. Also, listen to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up." Yasunori Mitsuda (who is white) ripped his melodies for Robo's Theme.

Glad you mentioned the Smash Mouth - I've noticed the similarity since the day I first heard it on the radio (though I doubt any of those guys were cool enough to play CT).

But what's this "Yasunori Mitsuda (who is white)" business?!?

The Roots are from around my area, so when they hit it big they were horribly overplayed on the radio. KY really doesn't have many claims to fame other than Billy Ray Cyrus...and we all know how that went...Oh, and Johnny Depp. No Roots for me, thanks. The others I can't honestly say I've heard on the radio. I've heard OF them, just not familiar with their work.

Good hip hop isn't a thing of the past...2007 was a great year for hip hop. Here's a small list of albums you should check out.

Blu & Exile - Below the Surface

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

Dälek - Abandoned Language

Blue Scholars - Bayani

Mr. J. Medeiros - Of Gods and Girls

All albums which make extensive use of samples in the beats.

Thank you, Mustin.

Some other hip-hop artists who are above stereotypes and are out there trying to innovate or just make decent music are:

Count Bass D

MF DOOM

Madlib

Edan

Vast Aire

Koushik

Beastie Boys

Gorillaz

Cee-Lo

Diverse

Aloe Blacc

Matisyahu

MED

Percee P

Method Man

Niko

Nujabes

Ozomatli

Psyche Origami

RJD2

The Streets

Subtle

And, yes, even JUSTIN TIMBRELAKE to some extent. Futuresex/Lovesounds was a fantastic album. Count Bass D is a personal hero of mine. Go look him up. Everybody else on that list is not only QUALITY but also making a conscious effort to move away from hip-hop stereotypes. Go listen to some songs by at least two people on that list (maybe not Justin, though :razz:)and then try and tell me all "rap music" is stereotypical and/or negative.