Marching Band Shows with a Video Game theme

Steben

I just saw a YouTube video of UC Berkley's recent halftime show with songs from Tetris, Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, and... Pong?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/clips/uc-berkeley-band-subjects-sports-fans-to-game-music-322243.php

Overall, the quality of their performance was mediocre at best, but their song selection and drill made me smile.

Anyway, I was just curious. How many of you have seen/performed in a VG halftime show? I know Mississippi State has done one, in fact, someone from their band came to this forum for advice a couple years back when they were making the show. I also remember seeing a high school band do a BOA style show called "Game On". Tragically, every single video game show I've seen just hits the mainstream staples of our genre, namely, Tetris, Mario, and Zelda.

What would you put in a video game halftime show? Although I probably should say Katamari Damacy since I've actually already arranged their main theme with the help of Rainman DX on percussion back in the day, lately I've thought it'd be fun to do one of a couple shows.

- After playing Galaxy yesterday, I'd really like to see some of that orchestrated goodness on the marching field. Perhaps we take an original theme from Mario 64 (definitely the main theme here), Sunshine, and Galaxy and make those the opener, standstill, and closer respectively. However, rather than play a straight transcription, each could be arranged in order to fit in elements from the earlier Mario games, to throw a bone to anyone who hasn't picked up a Nintendo controller since 1989.

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be the best way to give a cohesive theme (aside from just saying "it's a video game show") while still representing a bunch of familiar tunes from many different games and genres. It'd definitely still be a medley show, but at least there'd be a common element to all the songs, and it'd make since to have some familiar material to the mainstream (Mario, Zelda, etc.) and some less familiar material too (MGS, Kid Icarus, EARTHBOUND, etc.)

- Speaking of Earthbound, I've always thought that selections from Bound Together would make a good halftime show. Take virt's "Get on the Bus" and give it a little bit of rearrangement, and split it into two songs (end the first one roughly at 2:15, start the second one at roughly at 2:45 and find a way to end it in a couple minutes) and you have your opener and closer right there. Perhaps the One-Ups rendition of Summers could make a good middle tune; you play just a bit of the slow part, skipping the solo of course, and get to the fun faster part at 2:00.

Anyway. I could talk band nerd all day if I wanted. What about you guys?

Although I probably should say Katamari Damacy since I've actually already arranged their main theme with the help of Rainman DX on percussion back in the day, lately I've thought it'd be fun to do one of a couple shows.

lol shameless plug

So I enjoyed the UCB show. This kind of thing has been long overdue at Tech. What with the high concentration of nerds just like yours truly here, the message would not go unappreciated on this campus, at least by the students. (Way more so than those Cal fans cared, anyway.)

Oh yeah, I remember this. I was walking out of class one Tuesday around 5, which is when the Cal band practices. I could hear them practice on the field near the stadium. As I was walking down the hill, I thought "Is that...Tetris?" I walked over to the field, and heard the rest of their routine. It was pretty cool to hear it.

I haven't actually been to one of the games this semester (time/money issues), so I haven't gotten to see the show. I'll have to watch the video later.

Also: Welcome to Berkeley, po! Where are you working at? How are you adjusting to the city?

Also: Welcome to Berkeley, po! Where are you working at? How are you adjusting to the city?

ummm.. i did my undergrad at berkeley a while ago, so no need to welcome me. if anything i should probably be welcoming YOU :-P

anyways, i work in Cory in the EECS department as an engineer. 330 Cory Hall, come say hi to me sometime... actually you can't get in without cardkeey.. oh well

ummm.. i did my undergrad at berkeley a while ago, so no need to welcome me. if anything i should probably be welcoming YOU :-P

anyways, i work in Cory in the EECS department as an engineer. 330 Cory Hall, come say hi to me sometime... actually you can't get in without cardkeey.. oh well

Oh, okay, I didn't know you did your undergrad at Berkeley. Well, thanks for the welcome.

What kind of work are you doing there? Is it a permanent position?

Oh, okay, I didn't know you did your undergrad at Berkeley. Well, thanks for the welcome.

What kind of work are you doing there? Is it a permanent position?

i'm supported by the funds and grants that we get.. so i guess it's semi permanent semi temporary..

i'm involved in a couple research projects... wireless camera motes, body sensors for monitoring people, i also run a motion capture system which is open to anybody on campus. so if you or anybody you know wants to do motion capture, i can hook you up

i'm supported by the funds and grants that we get.. so i guess it's semi permanent semi temporary..

i'm involved in a couple research projects... wireless camera motes, body sensors for monitoring people, i also run a motion capture system which is open to anybody on campus. so if you or anybody you know wants to do motion capture, i can hook you up

Awesome. I don't really have a need for motion capture right now, but if it comes up, I'll make sure to ask. Thanks.

Hey, could we meet up sometime on campus? I'd like to hear more about what kind of work you are doing.